Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 09:53 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
just to clear things up a bit, I never said the dogs were flea infested and the ticks that I saw were not "engorged", and there's no reason at this point to assume the owners are fighting to get them back.
Thanks for clearing that up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 11:26 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I don't think anyone knows FOR SURE, if the rescue plans to return the dogs or not.

The dogs were tick and flea infested. Maybe the dogs were on the "run" longer then we know. Although, I THINK the OP mentioned it was just one day.

From other info that I have found... the person is DEFINITELY a backyard breeder. IMHO

As the OP stated (in the quote you copied), I also would have mix feelings about the rescue returning the dogs.

Just my two cents.

It seems the prejudice would stem from the "backyard breeder" comment and feelings behind this IMHO. I always S/N but recognize people ARE allowed to breed their pets. Those collies are beautiful and there is nothing wrong with the owner choosing to breed. The mother looks like a merle which is rare.

I volunteered with rescue for ten years and spent 4 attending our state's legislative sessions in an effort to get better animal protection laws. That said, I regret that when I had my GSD 20 years ago we had such a dog overpopulation problem and I DIDN'T breed her. Yep, backyard - this wouldn't be commercial.

My vet, 30 yrs in practice at that time said she had a wonderful temperament for any dog but the BEST he had ever seen in a GSD. She also lived to 17 yrs with no hip problems. Even my neighbors to this day (and that says a lot as neighbors tend to complain about pets) describe her as the "perfect dog".

A shame someone didn't get to enjoy one of those pups and I didn't have one to keep. We don't know what's going on, but this is an good example of not jumping to conclusions.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:26 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,426 times
Quote:
I'm in East Central Minnesota, will bring her into the vet if the rescue doesn't come through, I'm certain they will also arrange for a chip scan.

Please do the chip scan via vet or municipal shelter before calling a "rescue." "Rescues" cannot be counted on to return the dog to the owner if they get their hands on it.

EDIT - Guess I should have finished the thread. Freaking rescue psychos should be put out of business, and make no mistake, they ARE in business for themselves. I can't stand the behaviour of those groups.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
If the owner has chipped their dog, they'll get them back. If they haven't...then they don't deserve them anyway.
Um, wow. What a good samaritan you are. /s

Old 05-27-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
You were right, a young couple who live nearby, stopped by today looking for them and I let them know that the Collie Rescue has them. They went missing the same day as they found me. I should have thought to check the google for local puppies for sale. These three puppies are listed for sale on the web for a little less than $1K each.

I can't believe that the rescue won't return them, admittedly I have mixed feelings about that. I wonder if they might even arrange a return and have a quick look see to check up on their breeding operation in the process? Doesn't appear to be much regulation, even here in that industry.

https://mvma.memberclicks.net/assets...for%20mvma.pdf
They won't, because "rescue" people are entitled and insane.

It's not their place to do a "check up" on anyone. Try doing that to me and I'll be having you in jail for trespassing.

I hope those people get their dogs back and the "rescue" gets charged with theft if they give them any difficulty in returning the dogs. Because that's what they are doing - stealing dogs and reselling them.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:59 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Ticks and fleas infest high grass. The mother and pups were definitely well cared for, and not 'thrown by the wayside.' A dog can pick up an infestation of fleas and ticks in one crossing of an overrun field.

The photos show me dog and pups that were well cared for, and loved. Now the poor Owners will most likely have to hire an attorney, and show paperwork, to have returned to them their beloved animals. In my opinion the original owners are certainly not 'back yard breeders.' Those animals are rare in coloration, well-fed, silky, and of good temperament.

The fact they will now have to fight to have their pups returned is beyond reproach. I don't even want to think of what the mother and her pups are feeling right now, in such a place as a shelter, amongst strange people and environment.

It is always better to temper one's judgement, and think through all of the things that could/may happen, or have happened beforehand; before jumping to conclusions. "Assumption is the Mother of all Screw-Ups"

I know this first-hand. I have screwed up in my past too. Life is many lessons learned.
Totally agree with all this. The pics speak for themselves regarding health. Also, the OP had no problem approaching them so they do not exhibit the temperament to make anyone think they are "abused dogs".

It is obvious the OP meant well and was being a Good Samaritan, but in hindsight the proper thing to do would be to notify animal control. They are required by law in my state to hold dogs for 5 days to give the owner's a reasonable amount of time to claim.

I am sure some fear "the dog pound" but rescues (as can be seen by this thread) can behave worse. I am not badmouthing them all of course, but I was in that scene for years and quit due to PEOPLE and being forced to be around so many that have "control freak" type personalities.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:56 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,001 times
Quote:
just to clear things up a bit, I never said the dogs were flea infested and the ticks that I saw were not "engorged", and there's no reason at this point to assume the owners are fighting to get them back.
Hopefully, justice and sanity will prevail. People have the legal right to breed their dogs. I would prefer that purebred dogs are only bred after proving their conformation and/or working abilities and passing breed-appropriate health tests, but that is not a legal requirement. The dogs could have picked up ticks just going for a jaunt through long grass and wooded areas for a few hours. It is unknown whether the owners abused the dogs or treated them well; or if there is any dispute at all between the rescue organization and the owners.

The rescue group is listed on the website of the Collie Club of America (the AKC-affiliated national breed club for Collies); presumably that implies that the rescue group is not going to be chomping at the bit to steal the dogs from their rightful owners on some flimsy excuse.

The important thing is that the dogs were taken in and sheltered and a rescue group called, and that the dogs are safe. I would be interested in finding out what happened to them, but I'm not sure that will be known, since it could be that the rescue group won't divulge that information (?); nor is it the original poster's responsibility to ask, though I hope (out of curiosity) that the OP does do so...

Old 05-29-2018, 05:53 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Ticks and fleas infest high grass. The mother and pups were definitely well cared for, and not 'thrown by the wayside.' A dog can pick up an infestation of fleas and ticks in one crossing of an overrun field.

The photos show me dog and pups that were well cared for, and loved. Now the poor Owners will most likely have to hire an attorney, and show paperwork, to have returned to them their beloved animals. In my opinion the original owners are certainly not 'back yard breeders.' Those animals are rare in coloration, well-fed, silky, and of good temperament.

The fact they will now have to fight to have their pups returned is beyond reproach. I don't even want to think of what the mother and her pups are feeling right now, in such a place as a shelter, amongst strange people and environment.

It is always better to temper one's judgement, and think through all of the things that could/may happen, or have happened beforehand; before jumping to conclusions. "Assumption is the Mother of all Screw-Ups"

I know this first-hand. I have screwed up in my past too. Life is many lessons learned.
Yes , always call animal control first, not rescues.
I have been part of reuniting a few dogs with their owners
by the help of local animal control.

Had my dogs run away I would have called
animal control first to leave info and then do
flyers.

One look at those dogs also would have tipped
me off since beautiful expensive dogs like those collies
aren't your run of the mill stray dogs.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:00 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
I see the pups are still up for sale by owner. Hope that means everything ended well for ALL.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:44 AM

1,201 posts, read 803,493 times
Lose control of your dog, lose control of the outcome! You did the right thing and were under no obligation (unless your law states otherwise) to go to great lengths to locate the owner, especially when they weren’t wearing ID. They look like backyard bred dogs. Any issues the owner has getting them back is on them, not you. Hopefully they’ve learned a lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs