Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 09:45 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

My oldster with appetite loss, seems to have decided she will eat oats. I've posted about her. Suddenly she won't eat anything except for shredded meat and she's not too enthusiastic about that. I've been able to keep weight on her, but she's had a bit of constipation problems with the 100% meat diet.

I made a meat loaf for Pensive with hamburger mixed with rolled oats and some green beans. Little Miss Picky decided she wanted to try some of that, too, and she ate it just fine (after picking out the green beans).

One of my dog food recipes is chunks of beef roasted in the oven. Then I remove the meat and mix raw rolled oats into the hot broth and let it soak up the meat juices. Miss Fuss Pot has decided that she will eat a small bit of that with her meat.

Now, she is eating shredded meat with the meat juice soaked oatmeal. That's helped with her regularity.

I mention it in case it will help out anyone else with a senior who has lost the desire to eat. Since most dogs will eat anything, it can be difficult to know what tastes good to a dog. I'm guessing that oatmeal tastes good. Or else, oatmeal soaked in meat juice tastes enough like meat to taste good and the texture is ok with the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 11:57 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Dogs like the taste of coconut oil.
Try about a half teaspoon in the food.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs