Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 10:27 AM

32,559 posts, read 47,718,582 times

Advertisements

Are you absolutely sure this is a tick and not an interdigital cyst? If It Is not a tick, I can understand why the dog doesn't want you pulling on it.

If it is a tick, smear it all over with vasoline and it will drop off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Do not wait for ticks to feed and fall off. They will fall off after they have fed, but after they have fed, they lay eggs and you don't want to have baby ticks hatching in your house or backyard.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:49 PM

13,916 posts, read 39,191,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
That won't do a thing. The alcohol will evaporate long before it bothers the tick to any degree. I've put ticks in alcohol and watched them squirm around for a long time.
Always use alcohol for 60 years the ticks let go & back off!

Old 06-08-2018, 07:07 PM

8,666 posts, read 22,851,544 times
About two weeks ago, I felt an itch on my lower back in my sleep. I reached it with my fingernail, got under it and pulled off me. In one move, I sat up and turned on the light. Yep, fat deer tick or brown tick (believe the latter). Please understand I abhor ticks. I cannot emphasize how much. Growing up, we had a Sheltie (where no frontline existed) and the critters started breeding in the home. It was torture! Bloodsuckers everwhere.

In my 20's, in a dead sleep, very similar situation, only on abdomen, get my nail under and pull like hell. (I dont think I was drinking, but it's possible. In the early days of my marriage, pre-kids, cards and wine were nightly rituals). Anyway, this tick turned out to be a mole. Turned on the light, blood going everywhere.

So, this night when I pulled the tick off, normally I would take a match, and pop. But my pup was having tummy problems and waking me every few hours to go potty. I was exhausted, and sent the tick down the bathroom sink drain with a minute of running water. So, when the dog woke me two hours later, while he was doing his thing, I wondered if the little focker had climbed out of the drain... not actually serious, just musing outloud. When we got back in, I checked the sink and sure enough, there was Mr. Tick, making the climb. He was met with a fireball (book of matches)..

I still am itchy, haven't seen another. Hope I never do.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:45 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,409,313 times
If you cant get the tick off, take the dog to your vet or a groomer and they will be able to do so.

Don't wait to let it fall off and have baby ticks all over your house.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
This is over the top.
I don't think it is. No pet dog should be ordering the humans around by making threats ( growling).

OP isn't going to solve the personality issue before the tick is gone, but all dogs should be trained to allow handling of their feet and nail clipping. That foot handling starts way back at the beginning, with basic obedience, come, down, stay. Nail training takes time and patience, but both dog and human will be happier and have a better relationship if it is done. It's a trust issue, so you build up to it, but in a good relationship, the dog trusts the owner and the owner can trust the dog.

Most dogs actually enjoy having their feet handled. Notice how often a dog presents a foot, putting a foot on your knee or offering a paw to shake. Almost every dog I've ever lived with has loved to get a foot massage and be rubbed between the toes and deep inbetween the pads. It's just about going slow and building trust so the dog knows it isn't going to hurt.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:05 PM

1,201 posts, read 798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think it is. No pet dog should be ordering the humans around by making threats ( growling).

OP isn't going to solve the personality issue before the tick is gone, but all dogs should be trained to allow handling of their feet and nail clipping. That foot handling starts way back at the beginning, with basic obedience, come, down, stay. Nail training takes time and patience, but both dog and human will be happier and have a better relationship if it is done. It's a trust issue, so you build up to it, but in a good relationship, the dog trusts the owner and the owner can trust the dog.

Most dogs actually enjoy having their feet handled. Notice how often a dog presents a foot, putting a foot on your knee or offering a paw to shake. Almost every dog I've ever lived with has loved to get a foot massage and be rubbed between the toes and deep inbetween the pads. It's just about going slow and building trust so the dog knows it isn't going to hurt.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:41 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,903,895 times
I don't believe this thread is the place to discuss dog discipline --- the OP wants to get the tick off the dog, ---- not be ticked off by people offering up unsolicited training advice.

The alcohol is a good idea UNLESS the dog has licked to the point he now has raw skin.

I've had ticks get on my horses literally almost inside their anal areas --- can't use alcohol there, so I smother them with any kind of ointment my hand comes to first. Antibiotic, hemmerhoid ointment, just anything. you could probably use a cream as well.

Most things we out on dogs to keep keep the fleas and ticks off, are not repellents. The ticks have to bite the dog and ingest the blood to die. --- very frustrating. Where I live the only thing that works on my dogs is Advantix II.

Best of luck the tick from between the toes of your dog

Old 06-09-2018, 07:01 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,219,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Whatever. I'm sure you know what's best for everyone and their dog.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:48 AM

9,350 posts, read 14,007,443 times
Thanks for all the suggestions and for the practical comments. The tick did eventually fall off, and I suspect it had died in place and my dog eventually worked it loose with his tongue. So, we'll see if there is any medical issue that comes up. I live in NC on a farm with lots of woods, streams, ponds, and pasture so there are quite a few opportunities to pick up ticks. Up until now I had never noticed the Nexgard not working, but with a longer haired dog, I might just have missed it. I think between the toes is a good hiding place for a tick, darn it. If it happens again, I'll ask the vet if I can combine two modes of action in case one is weakening over time.

And yes, the general comments above on dog behavior are okay, but dogs and situations are potentially different. So I'll take them, since they are obvious in a perfect world, with a grain of sodium chloride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs