Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 04:38 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,997 times

Advertisements

I agree with the others. I wouldn't fly a dog via cargo ever.
Talk to your vet. There are medicines that can be prescribed to help keep your dog calm, so that she can fly in the cabin area with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 07:06 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Delta only? Have you tried United. I haven't kept up with all their breed bans but not sure if Pap is one of them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006...QdL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003W...axi&th=1&psc=1

United??? You can't be serious. Remember the little dog that was placed on the overhead compartment by a flight attendant, and died?

Why United Airlines Had the Most Animal Deaths in 2017 | Time

Old 07-04-2018, 07:43 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
OP, I don't know all of the circumstances, but if you can't drive and can rehome with the dog with a great owner, you may want to do that instead of trying to fly such a small dog when so much crap is going on with the airlines.

I'm generally against rehoming because of a move, but in this case if the dog can go to a great home, that might be better for the dog in this case. A lot of the smaller dogs don't do well in planes, even in the cabin.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:37 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Hi, I tried a "search" to find answers to my questions, but not having the best of luck. Anyhow, I have a 10 lb. papillon that I need to fly from the east coast to San Antonio. She can't fly in the cabin with us as traveling makes her sick and she barks too much! I thought what I would do is fly her out in the early morning hour this weekend while the temperatures are not ridiculously hot. The only airline I can find to accommodate us is Delta.

For the folks that have done this before, what brand carrier do you recommend? Also, how do you put water and food in the carrier without it going all over the place?!

Thanks.
Best to have your Vet prescribe something for travel sickness and take her with you. Do NOT put carrier in overhead no matter what some flight attendant says! I had my cocker delivered years ago from breeder via air and he ap was traumatized by the sound of the cargo area for many years. Otherwise he was ‘safe’. However, nowadays , I would be skeptical of cargo area travel due to recent accounts of poor animals dying or otherwise being mishandled.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:59 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
I'm guessing flying my hundred pounder anywhere is out of the question?

We want to vacation in Colorado with our dog. He is pushing toward 100 pounds right now and still not a year old yet. Vet said chances are he will be around 120 full grown. Never flown a dog anywhere before. Any way to fly this giant?

Old 07-05-2018, 06:58 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Any way to fly this giant?
I would strongly recommend that you find an alternative to taking a dog on a vacation via plane: maybe leave the dog with a trusted friend or have someone come in or do a driving vacation. Planes and pets are NOT a good mix right now. There's too much that can go wrong.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:12 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I would strongly recommend that you find an alternative to taking a dog on a vacation via plane: maybe leave the dog with a trusted friend or have someone come in or do a driving vacation. Planes and pets are NOT a good mix right now. There's too much that can go wrong.
It is not a necessity to bring him along. We can always have my parents watch him. He is such a sweet dog we want to bring him with us. He is not even a year old yet and we don't have to have him on a leash to take a walk or go outside the house. He follows us everywhere and listens quite well. And he never jumps on people even though he likes to seek out attention from strangers. He would sit in front of them to be petted.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:03 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
The temperature at both the departing location and the arriving location must be within a safe range in order to send a pet as cargo. For San Antonio, you will likely have to wait until late fall to get into that range on the destination side, but by then, your departing side might be too cold. You need to be prepared to lose your dog. Since they re stuffed into cargo with no one to look after them, it is not that unusual for pets to die on flights. Also a number of them get lost. Some get out of their crate and run off. Some simply get misplaced by the airline. To me, looking at the number of times the airlines have lost my luggage, I am not willing to take the risk.

However we did once take the risk with a cat I bought in Texas and had shipped to California. But then I had never seen the cat and we had no emotional attachment to it. If something happened to it, we would just have to buy another. We may have had it insured if such insurance is available, I do not remember that. She made it through without incident, but I would not try it with a treasured pet.

Check with your vet. Maybe you can drug the dog so it will sleep during a flight and you can carry it on. There may be some risk to drugging the dog, but it is likely small compared to the risk of sticking them in the cargo hold and hoping the airline does not lose, kill hurt etc your dog. (Have you ever looked out your window during loading and seen how some of the baggage handlers treat the luggage?). Note I said some, not all, but it only takes one grumpy gus with a hangover to angrily toss Fido's crate onto a conveyor from 10 feet away. Maybe Fido will survive with only some fractured bones or minor internal bleeding or a little brain damage. Maybe.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:29 AM

1,201 posts, read 803,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Hi, I tried a "search" to find answers to my questions, but not having the best of luck. Anyhow, I have a 10 lb. papillon that I need to fly from the east coast to San Antonio. She can't fly in the cabin with us as traveling makes her sick and she barks too much! I thought what I would do is fly her out in the early morning hour this weekend while the temperatures are not ridiculously hot. The only airline I can find to accommodate us is Delta.

For the folks that have done this before, what brand carrier do you recommend? Also, how do you put water and food in the carrier without it going all over the place?!

Thanks.
Personally, I would not fly her out in cargo. I would find a service to drive her or drive her myself. We have had several days here where the heat index is 112-115 degrees. If I do not get my dogs out for a walk by about 7:30 in the morning, it is already too hot. The lows at night have still been in the 90s. It is not uncommon for planes to be stuck on the tarmac with mechanical issues, waiting for take-off clearance, or waiting for a gate to open because the scheduled one was not available. It is just too darn hot to risk it. It isn't worth it. If you had trained her properly to be quiet in her carrier or have time to train her, you can just give her Dramamine and take her in the cabin.

ETA - I see you are talking about a vacation! Just leave her home!

Old 07-05-2018, 02:39 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Sounds as if this dog is going to be a problem no matter what carrier you use. She's going to be miserable. Is taking her absolutely necessary? Any airline you consider will have specific requirements for kennels. Check their websites for what types they accept. Proper kennels provide food and water containers. Use ice instead of water. Airlines will impose pet travel embargos due to hot weather and they can hit at very short notice. Have a back up plan.

Oh yes, it's absolutely necessary that we take her. We are moving there. I'm flying my child down there to drop off with Dad, then flying back here and in a few weeks will drive down. So, what I'm going to do is, get her into doggy care while I get my child down there, fly back, get my Pap. I'm going to drive her down when I go regardless. We will find places to spend the night that accepts dogs. It may take me awhile, but we will make it eventually! She's a family member. Who knows by the time we reach SA, she may decide she actually likes going for rides! Thank you everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs