Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Time for new dog to become an outside dog.
I think that’s a bit drastic.
I can understand that some people don’t like their dog on the bed, but we don’t mind. They’re small and don’t shed much.
As I said before, we’re treating the incident as a fluke, unless it happens again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 07:50 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks for all the input. We are going on the hope that it was just a bathroom emergency and that it won’t happen again. Also, before we went to bed, I tried to take him out, but he didn’t seem to want to. I’ll insist from now on.
What time is the last meal compared to bed time?

Old 07-15-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
What time is the last meal compared to bed time?
The dogs eat supper at 5:00pm on the dot, and breakfast about 7:00 am.

Once they konk out at about 9:00, they normally don’t stir until morning.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:55 AM

919 posts, read 608,755 times
If it was an 'emergency' wouldn't he have alerted you? If it was the medicine one would think that the stool wouldn't be firm.

I don't allow dogs on furniture, not only because I think it's disgusting (sorry, lol) but it can create dominance issues.
For this reason marking as a sign of dominance can't be ruled out because it's a possibility.
Not being able to get off your bed is also a problem.

It's hard to say exactly why; was he just really comfy & couldn't be bothered going outside?

I fully understand how people can view pets like their kids & want to treat them the same as any other family member. Our dogs have personalities, emotions & feelings. My dogs are treated with kindness, respect & love. But I never forget that they're a dog.
That's why I NEVER share my food when I'm eating & would NEVER give a dog anything containing sugar (Giving dogs junk like cookies, candy, chips etc will eventually lead to very painful gum & dental problems) They eat a raw meaty bone diet because that's the healthiest food for a dog.
And that's why they have their own comfy bed near mine; they're allowed to sleep in my room because that's what makes them happy & content. They sleep on their own bed because they're a dog.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
If it was an 'emergency' wouldn't he have alerted you? If it was the medicine one would think that the stool wouldn't be firm.

I don't allow dogs on furniture, not only because I think it's disgusting (sorry, lol) but it can create dominance issues.
For this reason marking as a sign of dominance can't be ruled out because it's a possibility.
Not being able to get off your bed is also a problem.

It's hard to say exactly why; was he just really comfy & couldn't be bothered going outside?

I fully understand how people can view pets like their kids & want to treat them the same as any other family member. Our dogs have personalities, emotions & feelings. My dogs are treated with kindness, respect & love. But I never forget that they're a dog.
That's why I NEVER share my food when I'm eating & would NEVER give a dog anything containing sugar (Giving dogs junk like cookies, candy, chips etc will eventually lead to very painful gum & dental problems) They eat a raw meaty bone diet because that's the healthiest food for a dog.
And that's why they have their own comfy bed near mine; they're allowed to sleep in my room because that's what makes them happy & content. They sleep on their own bed because they're a dog.
I can’t argue with any of that. We are still learning about this dog’s quirks. He cannot get onto the furniture, so no issue there, and we never feed people food, except veggies with their regular food.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:44 PM

99 posts, read 307,128 times
I’ve got a dachshund and he pooped in the bed last year. He seemed just as surprised as me to wake up and find that. It’s never happened again.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:52 PM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylulu View Post
I’ve got a dachshund and he pooped in the bed last year. He seemed just as surprised as me to wake up and find that. It’s never happened again.
Your dog is one fine actor.
WHA....? How'd THAT get there??!!

Old 07-15-2018, 04:36 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Your dog is one fine actor.
WHA....? How'd THAT get there??!!
Reminds me of dogs who get startled by their own toots. Any of you who have read James Herriot's books may recall his hilarious history with Cedric the farting boxer.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:12 PM

919 posts, read 608,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Reminds me of dogs who get startled by their own toots. Any of you who have read James Herriot's books may recall his hilarious history with Cedric the farting boxer.
One night while reading in bed, my now passed Rotti let rip the noisiest fart, so loud in fact, that it woke him. He looked at me with surprise, sniffed the air & looked back at me accusingly. Not liking the smell that he dealt, he got up off his comfy bed, walked to the other side of the room, gave me another accusing look before lying down on the floor with a grumble.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:08 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,892,628 times
We fostered a dog some years back who was given the de-worming medicine and had a similar pooping accident.

The vet had warned us that sometimes the de-wormer could cause that side effect.

I was not expecting it in the bedroom, and it's not pleasant to wake up at 2AM and wonder what that horrid smell is that just wok you up, lol

The good news is that once we got through the de-worming medication we didn't have any additional pooping accidents with the foster dog.

My parents had a dog named Lady that was really prone to gasiness no matter what they fed her. She tended to really let them rip once she got into bed with my parents and even though she was just a tiny little Italian Greyhound she could clear a room. Anyhow, Lady usually would stand up and hold her tail straight out so at least you had some warning that she was going to blow. She made the mistake of trusting a fart one too many times because she ended up pooping by mistake on my mom's pillow. So your dog could've just made a simple judgement error so to speak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs