U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2008, 10:31 AM

2,621 posts, read 7,506,150 times

Advertisements

I was watching Animal Planet's Animal Cops where the vet looked into the mouth and determined the dog to be about 2 years old. Is it by counting teeth or something? I thought that was cool.

I know you can tell a rhino's age by the size of the horn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 11:23 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,537,812 times
As dogs age their teeth become worn down and tarter starts to build up, so at 2 years the teeth were probably showing some signs of the tips of the teeth wearing down and some yellow, tarter, on the back of the teeth.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 PM

1,315 posts, read 4,569,616 times
Vets look at the teeth to see if the dog has adult teeth, which generally come in at about 6 months old. They look at tartar build up and tooth wear, although if the dog has had good dental care and has had a good diet, it may be hard to determine the age from teeth alone. Teeth generally begin to show wear at about 4 to 5 years old. Vets also look at the eyes to see if the dog has signs of age-related changes like nuclear sclerosis, and they look at the dog's muzzle for any signs of white hair, common in older dogs. Taking all of this into consideration and comparing it with the average lifespan of the particular breed can give a good approximation of a dog's age.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:20 AM

8,204 posts, read 23,784,125 times
When I found that dog 6 months ago, my vet sized up her age by looking at her teeth.

When I looked at her teeth, I noticed that they were sparking white and I assumed she was no more than a year, but once we brought her to the vet, he gauged her at 1.5-2yrs old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs