Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 01:13 PM

354 posts, read 385,309 times

Advertisements

My sweet dog is having a really tough time the last 3 months.

We live in San Diego, and she is having a rash after eating every single day. Twice a day, after I feed her. She is on week 4 of a duck and butternut squash ONLY diet- homecooked by me. Prior to that she was on a grain free Blue Buffalo Salmon kibble diet with homemade chicken or turkey or beef mixed in.

She also gets severe hives all over her body after going outside. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens often. Her walks are limited to twice a day, about 8 minutes only. Any longer, and I can basically guarantee a reaction. If she doesn't develop hives after being outside, she develops a red blotchy rash all over her belly, armpits, and groin.

Her hives start on the top of her head and then cover her whole body.

She gets red bloodshot and swollen eyes. She is itchy all over and licks her paws.

Every vet I have been to is mystified by this. They don't understand it. Her intradermal allergy test showed nothing concerning. She was only SLIGHTLY allergic to a few different things, the most being mosquitos. Even that was not a full blown reaction.

She is taking benadryl every day, 2x a day. She is also on a steroid when the hives seem particularly bad.

Every vet says that they can't really figure it out. They're just pushing meds on us now.

I would do anything for my furbaby. I would move across the country. I would go see a vet anywhere in the US.

Can anyone help me? I am desperate to find relief for her. This is so frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 03:09 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Has she been tested for auto immune diseases? I know some of them can cause hive like rashes. It seems like auto immune issues are on the rise in humans as well as animals.

Another thing to consider maybe the bacteria in her gut is out of balance and she has more bad then good bacteria in her gut as that can cause all sorts of health issues or even she could have leaky gut syndrome which can also cause allergy symptoms.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Can you take her (or send her) somewhere else for a week and see if it clears up?

Have you considered feeding her plain boiled chicken or turkey with nothing at all else for a week to see if that helps?

Bottled water?

Old 08-19-2018, 03:34 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
I would go back to a grain free diet. Duck sounds very rich and greasy and squash seems like it’s so much water it wouldn’t make her feel full. She may also be allergic like allergies some people use Benadryl if the reaction you think is from sun put sunscreen on her or a shirt. Poor little thing hope you can figure it out

Old 08-20-2018, 12:34 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Have the thyroid checked .
Could be causing the problem.
The thyroid controls metabolism, and obviously something is out of wack, if these rashes pop up quickly after an event like eating, or being outside, it could very well be the dog's body is responding negatively.
A simple blood test is all it takes.
Bob.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:49 PM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Allergic to sun? Allergic to pollen? Allergic to fertilizer? I am assuming she doesn't have lice. Bed bugs?

My dog gets rashes and licks/scratches herself after rolling in grass. I bathe her and it goes away.

Does it go any better after a bath?

I am sorry you (both) have to go through this.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:39 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
My Westie has severe skin allergies, common in their breed, and Apoquel has helped him like nothing else.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:13 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
One of my friends had a bull mastiff with a severe allergy that translated into lots of black ear wax being produced. Her solution was to feed him steamed rice and freshly cooked ground lamb... his entire life. But it worked. He just couldn't eat any sort of commercially produced dog food.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:29 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Get on a good grain free diet with an alternative protein source.
Get vet to put dog on Apoquel.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:31 AM

302 posts, read 182,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My Westie has severe skin allergies, common in their breed, and Apoquel has helped him like nothing else.
I agree with Apoquel. Our French Bulldog had allergies, would lick her feet until they bled. We tried everything including allergy shots. The apoquel worked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs