Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 08:31 AM

20 posts, read 23,113 times

Advertisements

I have two larger dogs and neighbors driveways are awfully close, so every time they hear a car door or people talking they bark, and it’s loud, obnoxious barking. I bought “no shock” “beep/vibrate only bark collars for when they go outside, and they work wonderfully! Totally calmed them down and they don’t go crazy at the fence line at all anymore. But I don’t want them wearing them all the time or when I am gone because the batteries drain quickly and I don’t want it making the annoying “low battery” sound if I happen to be at work and it’s around their necks.
So basically I am asking if anyone know of a device for the home that actually beeps (not ultrasonic) to deter barking? All I see online is ultrasonic and all have fair reviews....any other ideas are welcome. Before anyone says anything off topic- my dogs get exercise and walks daily and are very well cared for 👍🏼
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 02:46 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersL085 View Post

I bought “no shock” “beep/vibrate only bark collars for when they go outside, and they work wonderfully!
But I don’t want them wearing them all the time or when I am gone because...
The collars need to go on when they'll be left outside alone.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:39 PM

Thank you for the response I’m talking about when they’re home alone in the house don’t want to leave the collars on

Old 08-25-2018, 09:22 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Stop using the devices & TRAIN them to be QUIET

Old 08-25-2018, 09:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I had a friend/neighbor who used one of those collars that sprays citronella on the dog's face, and I witnessed the transformation. The dog learned quickly.

Here's an example:

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-anti-b...SABEgLgHPD_BwE

Old 08-25-2018, 11:57 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,918 times
Quote:
I have two larger dogs and neighbors driveways are awfully close, so every time they hear a car door or people talking they bark, and it’s loud, obnoxious barking. I bought “no shock” “beep/vibrate only bark collars for when they go outside, and they work wonderfully! Totally calmed them down and they don’t go crazy at the fence line at all anymore. But I don’t want them wearing them all the time or when I am gone because the batteries drain quickly and I don’t want it making the annoying “low battery” sound if I happen to be at work and it’s around their necks.
So basically I am asking if anyone know of a device for the home that actually beeps (not ultrasonic) to deter barking? All I see online is ultrasonic and all have fair reviews....any other ideas are welcome. Before anyone says anything off topic- my dogs get exercise and walks daily and are very well cared for 👍🏼
I’ve heard good things about the dogtra bark collar. You want to avoid the citronella spray collars.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:55 AM

Okay I guess my question wasn’t clear. I have collars already that make a beeping noise and they work very well outdoors. I am asking about an inside device that isn’t ultrasonic because I don’t want them wearing the collars when I’m not home.. Oh well thank you for the responses

Old 08-26-2018, 07:49 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Okay I guess my question wasn’t clear. I have collars already that make a beeping noise and they work very well outdoors. I am asking about an inside device that isn’t ultrasonic because I don’t want them wearing the collars when I’m not home.. Oh well thank you for the responses
As far as I know there are none that are not ultrasonic in nature. After my one dog learned the one collar would vibrate when he barked, I simply turned the battery to the off position and it worked fine. However, it sounds like you and I are of like mind and leave collars off when unattended for safety reasons. My best suggestion would be some white noise or soft music playing to hopefully deter them.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:49 AM

1,201 posts, read 803,918 times
Quote:
The only thing I can think of for barking that isn’t a collar is a device called the Bark Buster (if it still exists). I used to use one years ago for the jacka$$ neighbor’s dogs that barked constantly. It ticked the neighbors off and worked on the dogs, in one case by stopping the barking and in one case by causing the neighbor to bring his dog in immediately when it started barking. It is a small device triggered by barking that emits an horrid sound. Thr sound is with the barking. No bark, no sound. This is not exactly it, but similar- https://m.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/ba...yABEgIxPvD_BwE

Old 08-26-2018, 09:02 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,290 times
The only thing I can think of to suggest might be to work with your dogs using desensitization methods to stop the barking when you're not there. In training them to not react whenever they hear a noise outside, such as a car door closing, people standing outside talking, you may need to enlist the help of others to create the noise triggers while you are in the house with the dogs. Then, working with the dogs and teaching them not to react whenever the sound starts, they should eventually learn to not react, regardless if you are home or not. It's not an instant solution, but if successful, it can be a lasting one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs