Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times

Advertisements

We received our letter back today from Nutro regarding the sample we sent in a few months ago. Thought we would share.

According to the letter from Nutro we received, "We received and analazed the sample you provided. There was no evidence of any spoilage, pathogenic micro-organisms, or mycotoxin contamination. Chemical analyses, product aroma, and appearance were within their normal ranges.

We conduct extensive inspection and testing throughout the manufacturing process. For example, as part of our Quality Assurance program, samples of production lots are fed in our kennel. We have observed no abnormal reactions in any of our dogs.

Based on these data, there is no indication that the product was defective."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 05:26 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Amazonchix, thanks for sharing that.

However, it sounds like a PR type customer response. I'm a skeptic at heart when it comes to these kinds of things. Even if there was something a bit off about the food they tested, do you think they'd admit it in writing? Sorry, that's just me. I question everything.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 AM

I agree to not blindly trust everyone...BUT opur dogs are doing just fine. There hasn't been any change in stool or bx's. I think it would case more harm to constantly change their food around. We have them on Nutro Max for large breeds...and switched from Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice (the sample that we sent in). They are doing great. We watch their stool habits closely and monitor bx's...as any over protective parent would.

I actually contacted a company about their multi-vitamin that I was taking. It was breaking up in my little pill minder. They had me send in the remaining vitamins and contacted me back a few weeks later and acknowledged a problem with some compound...which they swore would not harm me.

You never know. As I have preached before...just be vigilant!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:59 AM

Amazonchix, I know you're taking good care of your dogs, and keeping an eye on their stool and other habits is the right thing to do - we all need to do that no matter what food they are on.

My comment was just about me and the way I think, and not directed at you. I've become a bit jaded over the years.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:21 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I've become a bit jaded over the years.
Me too, especially after the way Nutro treated me when I called in with concern years ago. At least now they're responding to complaints, but I can't help but think the reason for that is because of all the negative publicity they've gotten recently. Back when this problem first started, there was no widespread news online about it, and they totally ignored complaints. I can't trust a company that only responds when they see the need to do some "damage control" to save their butt, rather than show any real concern when a problem first starts.

I also don't trust in-house testing. I'd feel more confident that there was no problem with the sample of food that was sent in, if they had it tested by an independent lab instead.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 PM

Very good points, tnp! Especially that about using an independent lab.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:28 PM

I hear and understand your points TNP and Southward Bound! I'm not upset at either of you all. I think individual opinions are important. Makes for good reading (lol)!

How many companies use an independent lab? We sort of feel that ANY company is at risk of having harmful food due to an ingredient purchased else where. I personally called Innova (VERY top of the line) and they stated they reserved the right to purchase ingredients from China if need be due to a shortage in the US. They also stated they would not document this on their products or website. Yes, I agree it's very scary and very random. We do not buy any treats that were made in China...but again, how are we to know if an ingredient was purchased from there?? I think it is too easy to give a politically correct answer...and I think all companies do this.

On a side note, we were surprised that Nutro had their own "kennel" they tested their food on...sounded like those babies are lab rats.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:40 AM

I have been considering home cooking. I think I will start.

A friend who has been doing it for a long time recommended this book for reference, and to keep on hand if question about specific foods you are giving or for when health concerns arise: "Dr. Pitcairn's Natural Health for Cats and Dogs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs