Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 05:50 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

I see NO reason to take a dog shopping or in a restaurant unless you are on a trip. Leave them in the comfort of their own home.

As for having kennels outside of stores, I'd be afraid of people putting their dogs in there that have fleas or some kind of disease because they haven't gotten their shots. Parvo spreads like crazy and it is a horrible disease that is extremely hard to control the spread of. How OFTEN are those kennels being sterilized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 07:19 AM

1,201 posts, read 803,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I see NO reason to take a dog shopping or in a restaurant unless you are on a trip. Leave them in the comfort of their own home.

As for having kennels outside of stores, I'd be afraid of people putting their dogs in there that have fleas or some kind of disease because they haven't gotten their shots. Parvo spreads like crazy and it is a horrible disease that is extremely hard to control the spread of. How OFTEN are those kennels being sterilized?
Maybe you live where going anywhere requires loading your dog in the car? I live where I can walk everywhere. On a weekend, it isn’t unusual for me to be out walking a couple hours or more with my dogs. Sometimes I am downtown on the main street browsing retails stores after a good walk (almost all will allow you to bring a well behaved dog in and almost all have water bowls out front and dog biscuits to offer), then I might feel like grabbing a croissant and/or a latte at the bakery, in which case I put my dogs on a down stay outside the door. While waiting in line, I can still see them. Then I might decide to go in the bank for business I have there. Then we walk on down and I think of something I need from CVS (which doesn’t allow them inside) so again, they wait out front. By the time I get home, the dogs are exhausted, I’m relaxed from a nice walk, and all my errands are done!

I try to be mindful of using my car and consolidate as many things as I can in a single trip. That means if I load the dogs up for a drive to go hiking, I may stop by Home Depot to pick up lightbulbs or something else and since I am also passing by it, I’ll run into Whole Foods. I generally leave the dogs in the car there, although some dingbat called the cops one day (no, I didn’t get in any trouble but she was threatened with arrest). People that live in big cities will often be out with their dogs all day and they also stop for lunch or coffee or to run in somewhere for a quick errand. It is hardly a big deal. Most people aren’t saying “I am going shopping so I better get the dog.”

As for the dog boxes, they are well thought out and there really is no downside. https://dogparker.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo...SAAEgJBW_D_BwE “Auto-Sanitizing
DogSpots use UV lights to kill bacteria, viruses, and molds between uses, giving you extra peace of mind.“. Of course that doesn’t address fleas but your dog can get those anywhere and should be on a preventative anyway.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:02 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Maybe you live where going anywhere requires loading your dog in the car? I live where I can walk everywhere. On a weekend, it isn’t unusual for me to be out walking a couple hours or more with my dogs. Sometimes I am downtown on the main street browsing retails stores after a good walk (almost all will allow you to bring a well behaved dog in and almost all have water bowls out front and dog biscuits to offer), then I might feel like grabbing a croissant and/or a latte at the bakery, in which case I put my dogs on a down stay outside the door. While waiting in line, I can still see them. Then I might decide to go in the bank for business I have there. Then we walk on down and I think of something I need from CVS (which doesn’t allow them inside) so again, they wait out front. By the time I get home, the dogs are exhausted, I’m relaxed from a nice walk, and all my errands are done!

I try to be mindful of using my car and consolidate as many things as I can in a single trip. That means if I load the dogs up for a drive to go hiking, I may stop by Home Depot to pick up lightbulbs or something else and since I am also passing by it, I’ll run into Whole Foods. I generally leave the dogs in the car there, although some dingbat called the cops one day (no, I didn’t get in any trouble but she was threatened with arrest). People that live in big cities will often be out with their dogs all day and they also stop for lunch or coffee or to run in somewhere for a quick errand. It is hardly a big deal. Most people aren’t saying “I am going shopping so I better get the dog.”

As for the dog boxes, they are well thought out and there really is no downside. https://dogparker.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo...SAAEgJBW_D_BwE “Auto-Sanitizing
DogSpots use UV lights to kill bacteria, viruses, and molds between uses, giving you extra peace of mind.“. Of course that doesn’t address fleas but your dog can get those anywhere and should be on a preventative anyway.
I don't disagree that it would be nice to take your dogs downtown, but aren't you afraid of someone stealing them? Even if you're watching out the window, someone could grab your dogs into a car in seconds and be gone. Dogs go missing from their front yards where I live, never mind sitting on a sidewalk downtown.

I don't know about your dogs, but mine are small and cute and I know that leaving them on a sidewalk would just be asking for them to be targets for theft. I would just never take that chance. I'm nervous even leaving mine locked in the car for 5 minutes to dash inside somewhere and back out.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My question is why do people insist on taking their dogs when they go shopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Exactly
and Exactly again!

Honestly I love dogs and I love children too but I don't want to have to watch out for either of them while they're scrambling about on the floor...because I am afraid I will accidentally run into them and hurt them.

I have enough to keep myself from inadvertently bumping into a shopper and their cart or their cart into mine.

Although I mostly keep my shopping to early am hours, sometimes it can't be avoided, sometimes.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree that it would be nice to take your dogs downtown, but aren't you afraid of someone stealing them? Even if you're watching out the window, someone could grab your dogs into a car in seconds and be gone. Dogs go missing from their front yards where I live, never mind sitting on a sidewalk downtown.

I don't know about your dogs, but mine are small and cute and I know that leaving them on a sidewalk would just be asking for them to be targets for theft. I would just never take that chance. I'm nervous even leaving mine locked in the car for 5 minutes to dash inside somewhere and back out.
No, I don't live in that kind of town. It just isn't an issue here and there are too many people and street police (who know many of the people by name and vice versa). I wouldn't do it in NYC or any major city.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:05 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Because o one wants to be shopping next to an animal. I can’t stand it when people bring their dog in a store or a mall. And a food store? Out of the question. I don’t care how “cute” little Fido is. No one else cares. Leave the dog home or stay home yourself.
I worked at a Dollar General for a couple years and there is a sign on the door saying only therapy dogs allowed in the store. A therapy dog will have a vest, or whatever you want to call it, they must have on at all times. We had several people walk in carrying a puppy and I'll make them mad telling them they can't bring it in. One lady said she didn't care she was going to anyway. I just picked up the phone and made a "fake phone call" (never turned the phone on but acted like I called) to the sheriff's office telling them what the problem is. Evidently this lady had this problem at another store because she looked at me and said,"OK, I'll leave. I'm not going through all that again!"

Old 09-11-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I worked at a Dollar General for a couple years and there is a sign on the door saying only therapy dogs allowed in the store. A therapy dog will have a vest, or whatever you want to call it, they must have on at all times. We had several people walk in carrying a puppy and I'll make them mad telling them they can't bring it in. One lady said she didn't care she was going to anyway. I just picked up the phone and made a "fake phone call" (never turned the phone on but acted like I called) to the sheriff's office telling them what the problem is. Evidently this lady had this problem at another store because she looked at me and said,"OK, I'll leave. I'm not going through all that again!"
I think you mean service dog, not therapy dog. Therapy dogs do not have access privileges. Service dogs cannot be denied entrance anywhere. Service dogs are NOT required to wear vests, badges, have certificates, identification, or anything else and asking a handler to provide those things is a violation of federal law. A business can not require "proof" of a therapy dog and if your store was requiring a vest for a service dog to enter, they're lucky they weren't sued because that is against the law. Therapy dogs and emotional support animals (a walking "blankie") do not have any special access rights.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:55 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Sadly, the dog in that video is very stressed. You can tell by the way his tongue is hanging out and also by the way his tail is wagging (a wagging tail does not always indicate a happy dog). The dog looks like a very soft sweetie who has been jerked around (in private) on the pinch collar too many times and is worried abotu being pinched again. And there's no reason for that little girl to be trying to control him -- that video is all for show.
Completely off. Dog is completely loose, likely just had a good run. Soft body, soft ears, an unwrinkled brow, no whale eye, etc. I am not fan of pinch collars but that dog was definitely not "very stressed".

Old 09-15-2018, 07:49 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My question is why do people insist on taking their dogs when they go shopping.
Exactly. Leave them at home.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:56 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:

My oldest dog is a trained therapy dog and the youngest is in training to become one (the middle one does not have the right temperament). We take them to restaurants and shopping as it is a good way to get them used to large groups of people, smells, sounds, etc. before going to the hospital or nursing home where they already need to be acclimated to all of that and more. Luckily for us our local businesses work with the two larger organizations so we know which businesses are friendly to dogs and which are not.

We don’t have those kennels in my area, but my dogs are vaccinated so I wouldn’t be particularly worried about Parvo, but seeing as the whole point is to take them inside I wouldn’t really use one anyway. Speaking of which it is Sunday and we are due at the old folks place at noon. Time for a walk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs