Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:18 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,495,608 times

Advertisements

Dogs aren't allowed in stores in my area, even Lowes. It's not just a liability issue, even well behaved dogs are frowned upon. Too many people with allergies have complained. Current competition with online marketplaces has been very hard on brick and mortar stores. They can't afford to lose any business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 08:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,373,489 times
^^Same here. We used to be able to take dogs into building supply and pet stores, but...unfortunately (and predictably)...this decision was the result of irresponsible pet owners taking their reactive dogs into stores. I used to love taking my dog to Canadian Tire in the springtime; I'd shop for garden supplies and she'd be happy as a clam, getting a good long walk - since I don't have a car - as well as social interaction with people. Then an incident happened where a woman took her small dog into a Home Depot and had him in the child's seat in a shopping cart (big mistake). The greeter leaned over to pet the dog (bigger mistake) and the dog bit her quite aggressively in the face, winding up in surgery and stitches to the face.

(Never ever seen a report of complaints about allergies here, though...I wonder how Europeans get around that. )

So yeah...when dogs get banned, it's usually the result of people who don't understand dog language, and esp. owners who can't seem to see when their dog could potentially be upset and cause harm, or because of dog owners who simply don't have well-behaved animals. And unfortunately, because of this all other owners wind up feeling the consequences.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:55 AM

19,520 posts, read 22,402,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My oldest dog is a trained therapy dog and the youngest is in training to become one (the middle one does not have the right temperament). We take them to restaurants and shopping as it is a good way to get them used to large groups of people, smells, sounds, etc. before going to the hospital or nursing home where they already need to be acclimated to all of that and more. Luckily for us our local businesses work with the two larger organizations so we know which businesses are friendly to dogs and which are not.

We don’t have those kennels in my area, but my dogs are vaccinated so I wouldn’t be particularly worried about Parvo, but seeing as the whole point is to take them inside I wouldn’t really use one anyway. Speaking of which it is Sunday and we are due at the old folks place at noon. Time for a walk!
That's awesome your oldest is a therapy dog! Mine are good therapy for the 'bird flu', lol.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:09 AM

19,520 posts, read 22,402,159 times
I'm not sure why some people think it's terrible to take a dog into a store that allows it. One of the key things stressed in training a good dog is exposure to people, places and experiences.

https://www.labradortraininghq.com/l...alize-a-puppy/

I always take my pups into public after they have received their shots. When Pearl was just a pup I took her with me to the local hardware/lumber yard on a weekend. When we went inside one of the employees on the other end of the store saw her and yelled "PUPPY!!!!" The dude plopped on the floor and just clamored for her. I let he off leash and she bolted to him and he gave her lavish praise and she was in hog heaven!

People came up, gave her praise and attention, the employees have jars of treats everywhere in the store so they gave her those.. It's a fun time! Gives the dog exposure to other people, makes them more social- all good traits especially when she is going to be around other people, dogs in a hunting scenario.

I guess people in Montana are different, cause dogs are everywhere and even strangers enjoy them. Heck one time we had Schnitzel (my big boy) with us in Whitefish MT. My wife wanted to hit all the nice shops so we would tie his leash to the pole and head in. When we came out there was a CROWD around him 'cause he was a big, lovable 80lb German short haired boy'. People were like "He's so nice! He's a really well behaved boy!".

No one was upset and my dog was in hog heaven.

Honestly I can't fathom why one wouldn't want their dog exposed to 'the real world'. My dogs don't live in an insulated bubble. They travel (I cover 2,500 miles during hunting season), meet LOT'S of other dogs in public and in the field. They have to be socialized and prepared for me to go into a store when I have to.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-17-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 09-18-2018, 04:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,654,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That's awesome your oldest is a therapy dog! Mine are good therapy for the 'bird flu', lol.
It initially started because she had an injury and couldn’t do agility for a whole winter. She was about 5 at the time and we were bored with competition obedience (lots of people like it’s just not my thing) and that trainer suggested she would be a good therapy dog.

She is good with kids but the weekends at our local hospital had lots of dogs there so we go to the nursing home now every couple of weeks or so. She has good feet, meaning she is very good at knowing where she is in relation to people’s body parts. She never steps on anyone so she is good to sit in bed with some of the older folks who are less mobile and very frail. One of the older ladies always has these bows they put in her hair which she tolerates until we get in the car and then she tears them out. I swear she doesn’t want to be rude.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:00 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,268,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
This has blown my mind for so many years. People tie their dogs outside while they shop and leave them helpless too people who could do anything too them! I have seen many of them scared to death and many times they are assaulted or stolen.

It happened yet again here in Chicago a 3 legged dog was taken while tied outside of a Target store and taken by two kids on the subway. Luckily this one time the dog was returned to the owners but what is wrong with people! Why leave your dog defenseless like this and I see it every single day it makes no sense. I know the human animals is stupid and lazy but I mean come on what is the reason for this?
You answered your own question. People are idiots, plain and simple.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:44 PM

143 posts, read 142,207 times
People have different lifestyles. I hate driving and at one point was without a car for 10 years. I walked 3 miles each way to the supermarket twice a week. My dog did not have the temperament to be alone in public so he got left home but it would have been so much easier. The last thing I want to do after a 6 mile walk (half carrying groceries) is take the dog on an hour walk. I would not consider leaving a dog alone in a major city but I would never choose to live in a major city.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:10 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,262,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My question is why do people insist on taking their dogs when they go shopping.

At least in my case, to meet women. They find dogs adorable.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:56 AM

1,022 posts, read 766,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm not sure why some people think it's terrible to take a dog into a store that allows it. One of the key things stressed in training a good dog is exposure to people, places and experiences.

https://www.labradortraininghq.com/l...alize-a-puppy/

I always take my pups into public after they have received their shots. When Pearl was just a pup I took her with me to the local hardware/lumber yard on a weekend. When we went inside one of the employees on the other end of the store saw her and yelled "PUPPY!!!!" The dude plopped on the floor and just clamored for her. I let he off leash and she bolted to him and he gave her lavish praise and she was in hog heaven!

People came up, gave her praise and attention, the employees have jars of treats everywhere in the store so they gave her those.. It's a fun time! Gives the dog exposure to other people, makes them more social- all good traits especially when she is going to be around other people, dogs in a hunting scenario.

I guess people in Montana are different, cause dogs are everywhere and even strangers enjoy them. Heck one time we had Schnitzel (my big boy) with us in Whitefish MT. My wife wanted to hit all the nice shops so we would tie his leash to the pole and head in. When we came out there was a CROWD around him 'cause he was a big, lovable 80lb German short haired boy'. People were like "He's so nice! He's a really well behaved boy!".

No one was upset and my dog was in hog heaven.

Honestly I can't fathom why one wouldn't want their dog exposed to 'the real world'. My dogs don't live in an insulated bubble. They travel (I cover 2,500 miles during hunting season), meet LOT'S of other dogs in public and in the field. They have to be socialized and prepared for me to go into a store when I have to.
I know dogs should be let in and if not then people should do something other than leave them helpless outside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs