Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:07 PM

661 posts, read 2,896,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I don't have a dog but I want one so badly. My boyfriend has a German Shepard he will be bringing with us to SC when we move. I'm deciding between a long haired Dachshound or a Corgy, they are both so cute....any opinions?
Friends in CT were breeders of dachschunds. They bred smooths and wirehaired. Would you consider a wire? Loads of personality and very trainable.

That being said, I'd go with the Corgi. Great little dogs. I was intending to get a Corgi, when I ended up doing a Silky rescue instead.

Do lots of reading up on both breeds and see which one suits you best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 06:18 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
We have a female Yellow Lab. I adopted her from a young couple that my daughter knew, a few years back. They were too busy to take care of her. I've had her since she was about a year old, and she was blind when I took her in. Some kind of genetic thing. Allie is a sweet dog. But, oh Lordy, does she shed!

We also have a Black Lab/Golden Retriever mix. We adopted him, when he was a puppy, for my son. Sam is going on thirteen, but he still acts like he's a puppy, silly dog!He has always been so good with any kids that have ever been in the house. His main drawback? He sheds as bad as Allie.(Didn't someone else mention that shedding thing? It's true!).

Last dog on the list is a Rat Terrier, (well, that's what my daughter said. Personally, I think he may be a mix of Rat Terrier, and Jack Russell). Anyway, we "inherited" him, when my daughter and her husband went to Germany, a couple of years ago. She begged me to take him, so, soft-hearted sap that I am,I agreed. He's the first small dog I've ever had, (he weighs about 15 lbs.), and although I've never cared that much for small dogs, I found out that the small ones aren't that bad. He sleeps under the computer desk, whenever I'm in here. He likes to sit/sleep by me, when I'm on the couch. He doesn't shed as much as the other two. He's easier to take for a walk. He eats alot less, and his heartworm meds cost less. He's much easier to take in my Durango, to the vet, or just for a ride, like to the post office. His main drawback? Diego sounds like he's hunting fox with the hounds, when someone comes to the house! The other two have bigger deeper voices, but this one?! Yipe! It's not actually shrill like a tiny dog. He just sounds like a hunting hound. It's the best way I can describe it. It's kind of funny, that is, until he keeps it up. He thinks it is his job to inform me, and everyone else in the neighborhood that someone is at my door. Mouth of the South!

If my Kisa, (Kee-suh), wasn't a cat, she'd be quite overwhemed, being the only feline in the house. But, of course, as the superior being, she is is very much above all of the dogs, peasants that they are!

Old 12-14-2006, 07:31 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Great lab picture- what a sweet looking dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sunny
Not really quoting you here but I needed a quote to attach my pics Thanks for the help..
Attached Thumbnails
Your favorite dog ..breed or mutt?...and why?-102_0228.jpg   Your favorite dog ..breed or mutt?...and why?-102_0247.jpg  

Last edited by vpcats; 07-10-2007 at 04:11 AM..

Old 12-14-2006, 08:07 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
vpcats, I love your pictures!!!! My favorite is the dog and cat sleeping together. That is so sweet!!!!! Be sure and keep us updated on your new kitty.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:30 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
vpcats- how cute- I love that dog!!! Do they all get along? how many animals all together?

sunny

Old 12-14-2006, 10:30 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
I love this thread. I love all dogs. They're so much better than people . I have a golden retriever/Irish setter mix who lives with my mother. He's such a beautiful dog. He's an old man now, slow with grey whiskers, but still beautiful. I can't wait to see for Christmas.

Great pics everyone!

Last edited by dullnboring; 12-14-2006 at 10:41 PM..

Old 12-15-2006, 03:35 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Our dogs...3 Great danes and a sheltie!

I like danes because of their mellowness and they often think they're a lap-dog! It's funny when a 150lb dog wants to be held like a baby! Intelligent dogs-knows how to manipulate things!

Our sheltie is neat-always keeping the big dogs in check-must think it is its' job to herd the dogs. The sheltie is a dog that will follow you closely around, also very intelligent. A true mini-shepherd dog!

Other breeds- Jack Russel-a one man dog-otherwise known as "killer-doggie". Acts 20 times bigger than its size. You honestly can't say it lacks "heart".

Bloodhound-love that bark!

Well, those are my favorites!

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 12-15-2006 at 03:45 AM..

Old 12-15-2006, 03:48 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Shar-pei's are adorable! I've heard they can be tough to handle, though, if you're inexperienced.

My dog Rudy is 100% MUTT, which I've actually discussed with people on another thread.. I'll post more pictures here, since he's just so darned cute.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/Sept06043.jpg (broken link)

(Please excuse the dirty floors, LOL)
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/Sept06029.jpg (broken link)

All I know is that he's part German Shepherd, 35 lbs., and the rest is a mystery... possibly some Cattle Dog, Schipperke, Basenji, Shiba Inu, and who knows what else. I found him at the local pound & fell in love instantly... I'd seen tons of other dogs & puppies during my search, so it wasn't only because he's cute! He is just an awesome dog - loyal, loveable, intelligent, protective (but not aggressive), friendly, goofy, well-behaved (for the most part - LOL), an all-around cool guy. My favorite pure breeds are probably German Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Bernese Mtn. Dog, Miniature Schnauzer, Husky, Beagle, Lab, and lots more... too many to choose from!!

Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
such great pictures everyone
I love looking at everyone's
"kids"
keep them coming

karla

Old 12-15-2006, 06:50 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
vpcats- how cute- I love that dog!!! Do they all get along? how many animals all together?

sunny
2 dogs and 5 cats now. Yes, they pretty much get along. The big dogs gets along with all the cats. He just doesn't like it too much when they prefer to sleep on his bed and play with HIS toys. So he just looks and s l o w l y starts nibbling at the toy to pull it away. The little dog is more anti-social with the cats and ignores them. He gets nervous when they want to lie down next to him. The new kitty on the block is semi-confined to the guest room. The other cats are still checking her out and hiss sometimes so I only let her out when I can supervise.
I let all the animals out early in the morning and when I get home from work so the injured kitty can go around and get to know her surroundings. Now, what is exhausting is trying to round up all the cats and get them to come back in all at once. One will always manage to sneak out again when I'm trying to get another one inside.
I discovered a trick recently though. I have one of those Strait-Line Laser Levels. I just flash that laser beam all over the yard and they all start running and trying to catch it, so it leads them right into the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs