U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 12:10 AM

3,684 posts, read 8,444,673 times

Advertisements

All dogs mixed or not are great...but I have to say I do lean towards the bigger ones. I just like that you can give them a whole body hug and receive a huge wet kiss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 07:24 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,769,139 times
ahh for me it is the dachshund, they are fearless breed to enter badger holes,and bring them to the hunter.
i dont know if doxies are smarter than my other dogs ive owned or if my other dogs were just plain stupid? but i've found the doxie to be the funniest, smartest dog out of all of the many many dogs ive owned over the years.
why i had to get two,... for one doesnt bark enough (sic).
i have never gotten the joy out of any of my pets as i have the min. dachshund!
click below
to hear the
Dachs Song

806KB!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:45 AM

5,391 posts, read 11,891,333 times
rapture: definitely go with the longhaired dachshund doggie. We had two that both lived until age 17. Thinking of getting another. I highly recommend them. More mellow than the smoothaired dachsies and good watch dogs. Everyone that knew our dogs said they were some of the nicest dogs they had met, not just us. Just make sure you get from a good breeder, NOT a pet shop / mill dog.

And keep them thin, or their backs may suffer. And don't let them go down lots of stairs and jump off furniture. They are also dominant little doggies and they will try and take over the house if you let them. You must let them know you are the boss. They are true clowns and fun cheerful personalities!

Corgis shed terribly. Although they are cute too.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:17 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,726,164 times
Now I know why I like talking to you folks so much!

I love mutts, especially mine. At the end of the day you never know what they're going to look like and it's always fun guessing what breeds they have in them.
If I had to choose a breed then Jack Russell Terriers win hands down. They are complete nuts and I so love their larger than life characters. When I return to the States I'm going to find a JRT Rescue service and bring one of the loveable little fellas home. I'll be sure to post lots of picture when the new addition to the family arrives.
In the meantime, if anyone knows of a rescue service in the WI area or surrounding states please PM me. THX

Old 04-30-2007, 12:50 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,847,729 times
Yes- and I am available for any peis needing help. I love bulldogs and shar-pei- they snore and seem human! They are also pretty dominant/protective of their families. Most people dont realize, but they are good with children as well, as long as you get them while they are pups!.

(maybe we should post more pictures!-lol)

sunny

Old 04-30-2007, 03:58 PM

5,391 posts, read 11,891,333 times
If I got a large dog, I would definitely get a mutt. There just aren't many small breed dogs available for adoption in our area. Our shelter is filled with german shepherd mixes, lab mixes, and pit bull mixes. All too big for us. Thus dachshund is the breed of choice for us.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:24 PM

485 posts, read 1,011,942 times
I got a longhaired standard dachshund from Southern States Dachshund Rescue about 1.5 years ago. She is the sweetest, most laid back dog I have ever seen, but she has an uncanny ability to tell time and then she lets you know when it is dinner time! She is about 9 years old now. I already had a 3 year old Sheltie that I had had since he was a pup. He is a real sweetie too but much more hyper. He chases all the squirrels out of my large back yard racing from one side of the yard to the other!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:46 PM

1,932 posts, read 7,425,648 times
I found another way to post pictures... I like it way better than anything else I have tried...
1. go to www.tinypic.com
2. Click browse and click on the pic you want
3. click upload now
4. I think it gives you 3 or 4 options but the 2nd one says IMG code for forums and message boards... just click copy and then paste it where ever you want it!

Just figured I would let everyone know!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:56 PM

1,932 posts, read 7,425,648 times
I have had a chocolate lab, a black lab, a cocker spaniel, a fox hound, 2 mutts (we had NO idea what breeds they were! lol) and now my husband and I have 2 American Pit Bull Terriers, Brooklyn and Destiny... Out of all of them the APBTs have by far been the best all around! They are sooo smart, sweet, tollerant, loyal, obediant and funny! They are almost human like sometimes! Its like they have their own sense of humor!... They are wonderful with people and other animals and LOVE kids! Everyone that has met them has fallen in love with them! Even people that were scared of "pit bulls" or hated "pit bulls" before! They just want to love eveyone and be loved back! We are so proud of our babies, they give "pit bulls" a good name (atleast for the people that meet them!) We consider them like our children and wouldnt trade them for the world! <3<3<3

Brooklyn is our 1 year old male and Destiny is our 4 month old female...

Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,726,164 times
Ptbullmom ... what cutiepies. Those eyes are adorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs