U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 04-05-2008, 07:13 AM

142 posts, read 259,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
THAT is exactly what we're thinking; he's looking for a reason for a lawsuit and why he's got us all walking on eggshells.

I had looked at Delta's website among others. I'd love to report this guy, but he's probably not registered with any organization, given his attitude about laws and rules not applying to him.

Kudos to you, needmorespace, for having a therapy dog. That's a wonderful program.

Thanks for all your replies! Guess we just have to hope he'll find someone else to torment.

Maybe you could look into seeing if another 'patron' could report him, rather than you're risking a lawsuit. I'm not sure exactly how that would work, but you never know, it might be a way to find out if he is legit without risking a law suit.

Or, maybe you can set it up and have another 'patron' innocently question him about why his dogs are with him and what purpose they serve or something?

Unread 04-05-2008, 09:05 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,924,360 times
Can you set up a camera someplace and get it all on video and have a patron take to police with complaint. Or ask him to keep dogs outside so health inspector not harrass you about it.

Unread 04-06-2008, 05:01 AM

9,822 posts, read 9,479,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Can you set up a camera someplace and get it all on video and have a patron take to police with complaint. Or ask him to keep dogs outside so health inspector not harrass you about it.
Health inspectors! That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Ask the Health Department whether that is allowed. Get it in writing. THEN you have a basis for acting.

Set up video cam (less expensive than a potential lawsuit), or take a picture when the dogs are eating off his plate. Those are good suggestions too.

Unread 04-06-2008, 05:10 AM

5,858 posts, read 9,866,563 times
I don't think there's any law in the world that can't be superceded with a great attorney, but I also don't think there's any law that allows for any animal, service or otherwise, to eat off a plate to be used later for patrons. I think you could most assuredly request that this not be done. I understand your concern about the frivolous lawsuit, though. Everyone wants to sue these days. Be that as it may, I would be a little cautious as well, but I do agree with the poster who says not all handicaps can be spotted visually, and it sounds as if this man may be a hair off plumb.

Agreed - the health inspector is your new best friend on this one. I'm sure you are loathe to involve them, but it may be your only way out.

I didn't know you couldn't request a copy of their paperwork. That's interesting.

Unread 04-06-2008, 04:04 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,063,907 times
The Health Department! What a great idea! An establishment's score is public record here in Florida, and we obviously don't want that tidbit in the newspaper! I can call them anonymously!

Thanks, everybody!!!!

Unread 04-16-2008, 08:18 PM

315 posts, read 527,514 times
the first thing that caught my eye in your first post is when you said he didn't "look disabled". Be very careful not to assume anything if a disibility is invisible. Some are legit and some are phony. But there is no way you can ask for any kind of documentation without the guy trying to sue you.
I am disabled, some days it shows, some days it doesn't. I use a service dog and have never had access problems. But, I have also read about people claiming a mental disability to bring their pets with them. They do us great harm.
One thing I can tell you for sure...A SD is trained to go under or beside the table and is trained to ignore food. This guy is definitely breaking the law by allowing his dog to eat off his plate. The one way you could get him is by calling the Healthboard as you say. This guy is creating an unsanitary practice in an eating establishment and can be asked to leave on those grounds. The other way at your disposal is if his dog acts up, creates a disturbance, barking, etc..even eating off a plate is a disturbance of other customers. So on those grounds you can ask him to leave as of now with no fear of reprisal. BUT...do not under any condition refer to his disability or he could sue...and he sounds like he's looking for this. Just politely tell him his dog is upsetting your customers and ask him to leave, if he refuses you are in your right to call the police to have him removed...again, do not mention that you think he is a fake. Your grounds are disturbing customers and unsanitary behavior by his dog.

Unread 04-16-2008, 09:00 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,063,907 times
Thank you for your response and your insight.

I want to nail this jerk for being a phony.

So, it's okay for him to carry these dogs in a pouch around his neck anywhere he wants to go? And I don't have the right to ask him for any kind of certification that they're service dogs, correct? We have no recourse and people who are genuinely in need of these dogs may be viewed as scam artists as well. So sad.

Unread 04-16-2008, 11:34 PM

7,914 posts, read 14,782,991 times
As I said PAPER Plates...And as SWB said call the health dept. Goodness give us an update!!

Unread 04-16-2008, 11:45 PM

15,736 posts, read 26,053,931 times
Not every state certifies service dogs. As a mental health professional, I know many people (including Veterans) who have a service dog with them at all times, to help keep them calm. I really don't want an anxious, mentally ill person going ballistic because their dog wasn't with them. That being said, there is NO reason for this guy's dogs to eat off his plate. I agree with the other posters, call your local Health Dept. to see what are the rules and what you can do. BTW, his behavior that you mentioned seems to be indicative of a personality disorder at the least!

Unread 05-04-2008, 05:49 PM

315 posts, read 527,514 times
Just so everyone knows - the owner of an establishment can ask 3 questions of someone entering the business...
Are you disabled?
Is your dog a Service Dog?
What tasks does your dog perform to help you?

You cannot ask what the disability is and you cannot ask for proof of certification of the dog. Obviously the dog is wearing a vest, so that spells it out.
One other thing the owner of a business can do is ask the person to leave if the dog is disruptive, ex., barking, growling or other displays that offend customers. On that point alone this person could be asked to leave if you ask him politely to not let his dog eat off his plate and he refuses. He is upsetting your other customers with an unpleasant action and should be asked to leave. You can't get sued for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs