Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 06:44 PM

409 posts, read 2,779,703 times

Advertisements

I hardly slept last nite after the news about finding dogs chained in backyards in 90 degrees no water or food. I just sat there and cried. They need to get into every elementary school and talk to the kids about their pets. The truth will come out. Ask questions and find out how their pets are treated at home. Kids are usually truthfull. Where we are, nj, there's no law against it believe it or not. I am just sickened by abuse and don't know what to do about all this. I know I can't save the world, but this is something I can't bear to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 06:52 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,878,747 times
This is so very important.

The brachycephalic breeds, especially, suffer in the heat. This includes pugs, shih tzus, Boston terriers, French bulldogs, bulldogs, and other breeds as well.

Beacause dogs' main source of heat dissipation is panting, in the flat faced breeds, because they have such small mouths and such small surface areas from which heat can be dissipated, overheating and potentially dying in the heat are realities.

Dogs don't sweat, except a minimal amount from the foot pads (and except for Chinese cresteds, which do sweat), so making sure they're indoors (hopefully air conditioned in hot weather) or, if they MUST be outdoors, that shade and water are available at all times, is very important.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:13 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,524,329 times
Use this as motivation to write/call your local and state representatives and tell them how you feel and what you would like to see changed! Our state and local representatives need to know what is important to us. You may even contact some local groups to see if anyone is working on passing any bills pertaining to chaining. Be the dogs voice!

There are also national groups like Dogs Deserve Better www.dogsdeservebetter.com/home.html They have a place on their website that has a "send a letter" link, which you can use their form letter to send to someone who is chaining a dog. I have used this letter twice and both times the owners took the dogs off chains. I combined it with fact information that I printed off from the national Humane Society The Facts About Chaining or Tethering Dogs | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/animal_abuse_and_neglect/the_facts_about_chaining_or_tethering_dogs.html - broken link). I was SO excited that my efforts worked!!! I sent the letters anonymously too!! I think the people whom I sent the letters to were surprised at the harm they were causing their dogs. I addressed the letters to the homes that I saw chaining dogs as "Current Resident."

My only recommendation to you is not to click on the pictures link on the DDB website. I made the mistake once and it took a very long time for those images to fad from my immediate memory.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-29-2008, 10:15 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,910,859 times
I just can't imagine. Our frenchies get top care on cooling after walks, even if it was just a five minute jaunt. We spray them with cool water and they know to drink water when we get home. They plop their butts in front of the fan and call it a morning.

People who leave their pets out in that kind of heat is terrible, IMO. At least in our household, we treat our dogs as family members. Would you stick your child on a chain or rope with no food, water, and/or shelter?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:35 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,295,285 times
You are so right about starting early and I know in my country some groups/rescues do outreach to schools I just wish it was made law or at least more common. If noone tells them, they'll just grow up not knowing about the importance of spaying, neutering and proper welfare of pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs