Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 02:38 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,747 times

Advertisements

My dog groomer has told me for, for the second time, that he is getting matted under his collar and I should remove collar when in the house. I agree. Problem is he is a small puppy and goes out frequently. His collar is rather small and plastic and has one of those squeeze/male/female/cheap connectors. Any advice on a more people friendly collar? I am finding it very frustrating to manipulate the clasp on his collar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 06:17 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,994,586 times
Personally, I would rather comb out the fur than remove the collar for any extended period. The collar should be fitted so that it can slip over the head in the event it got caught on something. But I don't want my dog(s) ever, for any reason, to get out without a collar and identification.

As to other collar buckles? Those nylon quick-release are pretty common, and pretty easy. If you find them hard, would an old-fashioned belt buckle type fastener work better for you? You can find them online. You can find pretty much any type of collar you want online.

Perhaps a martingale collar would work better. They typically don't have ANY buckle at all. When you attach a leash, they are designed to tighten should your dog pull - or if you tighten the leash. You put them on by slipping them over the dog's head. Check some out here: https://www.hotdogcollars.com/martingale-dog-collars/

Here's the same online store sorted for metal buckle collars:
https://www.hotdogcollars.com/dog-co...lar&Clasp+Type[]=Metal+Buckle&Clasp+Type[]=Metal+Side+Release

Old 10-26-2018, 06:44 PM

255 posts, read 168,575 times
A dog needs to wear his collar with tags at all times. Do you know how many dogs are permanently gone because they weren't wearing tags and weren't chipped when they escaped? It's irresponsible not to keep a collar w/tags on your dog. Try a thin rolled leather collar like this:https://www.amazon.com/CollarDirect-...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

And the collar should NOT be fitted so it can slip over the head! There should be able to slip no more than 1 finger between the collar and the neck.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:30 PM

23,239 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
My dog groomer has told me for, for the second time, that he is getting matted under his collar and I should remove collar when in the house. I agree. Problem is he is a small puppy and goes out frequently. His collar is rather small and plastic and has one of those squeeze/male/female/cheap connectors. Any advice on a more people friendly collar? I am finding it very frustrating to manipulate the clasp on his collar.
There are different collar buckle and clasp options out there. Different sizes and mechanisms. Maybe not at the local pet shop, but you might explore the many options on a website like Etsy. A classic buckle collar may work a lot easier for you. Lots of vendors will make exactly what you want. An example search I just did:

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=dog+co...&attr_492=3558

My dog doesn't wear her collar indoors, but I keep one (with tags...but she's also chipped) by each door and one in the car. She never goes out without one on, and I take it off right at the doorway on the way back in. That's the trick...make it super convenient and you'll do it and establish a habit.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-26-2018 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-26-2018, 07:36 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times
here's an idea:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/2181666..._listing_top-1

Old 10-26-2018, 10:26 PM

28 posts, read 45,779 times
What about try the slip collar choke leash. But my dog doesn't have collar in home

Old 10-26-2018, 10:33 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Why don't you use a soft harness when he goes out. Harnesses are much less irritating. How would you like to be dragged around by the neck?

I don't think any dog needs to wear a collar at home "at all times." Dogs need to be comfortable too.

If you are taking good care of your dog and watching him/her, there should never be an issue.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:11 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,994,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBZB View Post
. . .

And the collar should NOT be fitted so it can slip over the head! There should be able to slip no more than 1 finger between the collar and the neck.
That advice about fitting collars would put you at a very extreme end of the range of advice available. With a quick google of "fitting your dog's collar" I found quite a few "two fingers", with the tightest I saw being a "thumb" - which is more than one finger. Common sense needs to be applied here, as well. If the dog is small? A chihuahua with two fingers would lose their collar. A large dog would need MORE slack.

I did see a number of sites, who recommended 2 fingers as a rule of thumb, yet also cautioned against having the collar so loose that it slips off. 60 years ago I was taught that the whole reason for using the two-finger fitting was so that the collar COULD slip over the skull in an emergency. Of course you don't want one so loose that it just comes off easily - but we were taught safety first. It should be a tight "slip" - not an easy one.

A two finger fit should allow the collar to come off, over the head, in the extreme case of strangulation - without tearing off an ear in the process. That is an ID collar - one that has tags, etc. A collar used only for walking or controlling the dog may be tighter, as it isn't on but a short time. Personally, I use a different collar for walking or controlling dogs on leash.

It's also worth mentioning that a tight collar is MORE likely to contribute to hair and skin issues under the collar.

For links and validation - read it yourself. Google "fitting your dog's collar".

Getting back on topic, having thought about this a bit, I'm going to repeat my recommendation of a martingale. Few of them have buckles. They are like a partial choke collar - but they don't tighten all the way down, so they only become tight - not choking tight. Quick to put on. No buckles. Good control over the dog when walking on leash.

Also mentioned was a slip leash. Show leads are an example of this type - but you can get heavier ones. The leash has a loop at one end, and you put the other end of the leash through the loop, to form a larger loop that goes over the dog's head. The leash itself is collar and leash. No buckles, easier to put on, good control when the dog is on leash, and the leash is only put on the dog when you need it.

BTW - as for the tag concerns. When a dog is outside, most places in the US REQUIRE, by law, that the dog have at least a rabies tag. Or proof of rabies vaccination, but without a tag you'd have to carry around the paper proof document! A microchip is better than useful for ID should your pet ever get lost. I think every vet in the US has a chip reader these days (and every rescue org). The downside of a chip is that you HAVE to have a chip reader - and your neighbors won't have one. So a microchip is no good to your neighbors should they find your dog wandering about.

Anyway, it could be our concerns for always having an ID on your dog aren't a concern for you. Some areas of the country, dog theft is a real concern - but most places it's not. Some dogs just don't have a tendency to go "walkabout" if they see a rabbit across the street. You know your situation!

Old 10-27-2018, 08:19 AM

965 posts, read 938,068 times
A cloth martingale collar as mentioned above would be perfect. I buy mine from Etsy too, very inexpensive, and comfortable, and they wear well.

My dogs never wear collars in the house and yard, but they always wear them the minute we leave the house or yard.
Like someone else said I have duplicates for each one near the front and back door with tags.
I walk mine daily and they wear the collars with the harnesses, and it is easiest (for me) if I have options.

When my grandmother had severe arthritis she could not use her dog’ harness, even when she had buckles added (because at the time she couldn’t find a harness with buckles). Adding the buckles made the harness too stiff. A friend of hers rigged up a way to use elastic to close it up.
Her dog was never in danger of leaving her side anyway she was a true dog woman. But... she wanted to be safe.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,164 times
Very informative thread. I do take my dog's tags off in the house because a few years ago he somehow got the "S" hook that holds them on stuck in my bedding. He was dragging my duvet/comforter cover around and freaking out (naturally). I got really concerned that this could happen when I am not home and removed the tags. Of course now I forget to put them back on. I need a designated "outside" collar.

I do use a harness on my beagle puppy as he is still learning and pulls and will choke himself. I know you have no control with a harness so I use a separate collar and leash on his neck to direct him. The martingale collar may help to train him faster. Glad to read detailed explanations here. I must look like an idiot with two leashes (one guy rolled down his window when I was walking and said "You hold on to him now..." LOL) but he really WILL choke.

Many posters here know that all breeds are not the same and will at least say "most" shouldn't use a harness. Many realize there can be differences between dogs. Beagles do something called a "reverse sneeze". They can do it for no reason at all. Vet's say it's normal but very distressing to watch. It almost always happens though when pulling on a leash. This is a 30 second video for anyone not aware of breeds that do this. It can go on well over a minute (dog in video coincidentally looks exactly like my older one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZjAcIvYD24
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs