Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:57 AM

4 posts, read 2,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I'm so happy for you.

For the past 25-30 years I've adopted only older dogs (8-9 years old, for large breed that usually lives only 11-12 years) but I understand the desire for a puppy. My older dogs dont live so long as a puppy will -- but, then, no loved dog lives long enough.
I love the quote "No loved dog lives long enough" It's so true. My Tea cup poodle passed away 2 weeks ago 1 month shy of 15 and I only wish I had her longer but it wasn't Gods will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 02:45 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Agree! The best way is to go to a breeder's house. FB has a lot of breeders online, and they'll be talking about upcoming litters and new litters.

Some breeders DO that pre-sell thing, and I also agree that I don't care for that kind of pressure when I'm looking to find a pup. They only thing you have to go on there is the personality of the parents, and often you won't be meeting the sire. I do have to add, though, that if the pup isn't up to your standards, whatever they are, those same breeders should be willing to take the pup back and find it another home. AND, at the same time, allowing you to choose from an upcoming breeding, or get your money back.

I'm pretty sure SOME breeders consider some portion of the purchase price to be non-refundable, and I don't like that either. I have to think it would need a STRONG motivation for me to do business with a breeder like that - like they had exactly the dog I wanted - and nobody else came close.

I'm old fashioned and I don't need/want a show dog. I just want a loving dog who will blend into my crazy life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBZB View Post
Most ethical and reputable breeders have their litters spoken for BEFORE the dog is even bred. Most have a waitlist with a deposit required and they do not allow you to pick the puppy yourself. A good breeder will spend a lot of time on the phone getting to know you and your family and will probably want an in-person visit as well. They learn what you are looking for in a pup. They spend pretty much every waking day with their litters from the time they are born. They are the best person to determine which puppy will be the best fit with each buyer. If you are truly interested in getting a quality puppy from an ethical breeder, the process starts many months, or in some cases, a year or more, in advance. I would not trust any breeder that has puppies available and allows you to just come choose the one of your choice - that's backyard breeder stuff!

I don't have a problem with backyard breeders. They may not be "known" breeders but it does not make them unethical or bad. There are many quality puppies out there who don't come from a breeder that you describe. Years ago I got a Doberman puppy from a person driving up my driveway. She was the runt and wanted to give her away. That dog was the smartest dog I have ever owned. She was also sweet. She came to the roller skating rink with us from the time she was little. She loved the kids.

I did call one who was one of those that wanted money up front. He talked a good talk and wanted me to mail a check. He annoyed me so much that if he had a superior puppy I still wouldn't have bought from him. He was way to arrogant for me to deal with.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:05 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I'm old fashioned and I don't need/want a show dog. I just want a loving dog who will blend into my crazy life I don't have a problem with backyard breeders.
I do have problem with backyard breeders.

according to statistics, 1.2 million dogs are euthanized every year in the US. 100,000 dogs are euthanized each month for lack of homes.

as a foster family and an adoptive family, I wish the backyard breeders would stop, but they won't. they get hundreds of dollars for a puppy.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:35 PM

255 posts, read 168,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I'm old fashioned and I don't need/want a show dog. I just want a loving dog who will blend into my crazy life

I don't have a problem with backyard breeders. They may not be "known" breeders but it does not make them unethical or bad. There are many quality puppies out there who don't come from a breeder that you describe. Years ago I got a Doberman puppy from a person driving up my driveway. She was the runt and wanted to give her away. That dog was the smartest dog I have ever owned. She was also sweet. She came to the roller skating rink with us from the time she was little. She loved the kids.

I did call one who was one of those that wanted money up front. He talked a good talk and wanted me to mail a check. He annoyed me so much that if he had a superior puppy I still wouldn't have bought from him. He was way to arrogant for me to deal with.
Yes, it does. If you want a low-quality dog from a backyard breeder with no health testing or having to prove their quality and no knowledge of bloodlines, history, etc., more power to you - but don't kid yourself that these are ethical breeders because they are NOT.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:03 PM

Maybe I got the term wrong. I have no problem if a person breeds their two purebred puppies and supplies the health certificates and vaccinations. I don't go for people being irresponsible and breeding different kinds of dogs together. Those are still mutts to me and/or mistakes that people should not let happen.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:20 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
We made the decision to go with a Springer Spaniel breeder for a puppy. I should have followed my heart from the start, but I needed to go full circle to learn what I truly wanted.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:05 PM

12 posts, read 8,352 times
I'm so happy for you! I had a dog 6 years ago. Also I have been having a cat and they got on great together. When my dog passed away, my cat seems so sad and I didn't feel energy from him. I was also depressed. Once, I didn't want to have dogs anymore but now I want. Stay kind and hope you enjoy your life with your dog!

Old 11-19-2018, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We made the decision to go with a Springer Spaniel breeder for a puppy. I should have followed my heart from the start, but I needed to go full circle to learn what I truly wanted.

That s wonderful. Good luck in your search

Old 11-19-2018, 09:47 AM

255 posts, read 168,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
That is awesome! They are such cute, sweet dogs - an all-around family dog. Good luck and hopefully you'll post pictures of your cute puppy when you get it. I'm so glad and relieved to hear this is the route you chose. No better addition to your family than a well-bred purebred puppy from a responsible breeder.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:55 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Agree! The best way is to go to a breeder's house. FB has a lot of breeders online, and they'll be talking about upcoming litters and new litters.

Some breeders DO that pre-sell thing, and I also agree that I don't care for that kind of pressure when I'm looking to find a pup. They only thing you have to go on there is the personality of the parents, and often you won't be meeting the sire. I do have to add, though, that if the pup isn't up to your standards, whatever they are, those same breeders should be willing to take the pup back and find it another home. AND, at the same time, allowing you to choose from an upcoming breeding, or get your money back.

I'm pretty sure SOME breeders consider some portion of the purchase price to be non-refundable, and I don't like that either. I have to think it would need a STRONG motivation for me to do business with a breeder like that - like they had exactly the dog I wanted - and nobody else came close.
I know many breeders in the Silken Windhound world take reservations when they are waiting on a litter but that does not mean the puppy is sold yet as the other party may want a female and the litter is all male or they may want a solid colored dog and the litter is all brindles, they may want a show quality dog but there were not enough of those in the litter to allow that, There are a lot of reasons the reserved puppies may not be sold once they are born and the people that reserved them see them.

The breeders will ask what it is you want in a dog ( sex , color, temperament etc) then they also ask what you plan to do with the such as show it, do dog sports, train it to be a service dog, just want a cuddly companion so they can try to match people to the right puppy. When I got Dazzle I had to tell his breeder all of that. He came from a litter of 9 and two had sold. She picked out 3 that she thought would meet what I was looking for and sent me photos and told me about each one then asked me to rank them 1 to 3 . 1 being the one I was most interested in. So I picked my favorite and she agreed he would be a great dog for me and he has been. She lived out of state so was willing to meet me half way at another breeders home so she did bring the 3 pups with her just incase I changed my mind but I did not as he was what I wanted.

People ask how I could trust the breeder without meeting her first. Well we talked many times via phone, we were connected via a breeder I had met as I had been interested in her remaining pup that I had met earlier at the show I attended but she had decided to keep her and told me about her friend who had a litter with the same stud dog so they were half siblings to her litter. This is a breed that is a tight knit community so if someone is breeding a dog that should not be bred they will know about it. So going to a show and spending time talking to breeders and getting to know them helps when you plan to buy from a breeder. People that are passionate about their breed will take time to talk to you and answer questions. There were people at the show that had Silkens that were not show dogs but were just pets and they came to say Hello to the breeder (as with the right breeder in can be like gaining an inlaw) and I talked to all of them too. I left that show 100% certain that the breed was a good match for this time in my life. It was a huge change for me as I had always been into herding dogs and even then the dogs had all been rescues or shelter dogs.

I recently helped an RN I know find a great German Shepherd breeder within a couple hundred miles from us. She had asked me if I knew any knowing I have been doing dog sports so know a lot of people in the dog world. I asked around and one person told me she did not get her dog from the breeder but knows what breeder her dog came from and told me what a great dog he is so I told the RN about that breeder and she talked to the breeder and was put on the reservation list. She has had her pup for 7 months now and is so happy with him as she has a young son and the two are BFF's . The dog is beautiful and has a great temperament . So putting what it is you are looking for out there with people that are involved with dogs can help you find a great breeder too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs