Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 02:29 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Would you be as critical of the OP's son's decision to rehome the dog or have it euthanized if the dog in question was a Labrador Retriever? Or would he get a pass because that breed is supposed to be fine with children (even though the particular Lab in question isn't)?

They're not making the choice they are because they are tired of their four-legged toy. They are doing it to safeguard their child. Any medium-to-large dog of any breed (purebred or mutt) that is not tolerant of small children can easily kill a child. That's just reality.
*raises hand* I would indeed be "as critical"; NOT for them placing the dog with a better owner which I heartily hope they do but for being the kind of impulsive moron who buys a puppy from a pet shop or breeder whose needs they are unable to meet.

Indeed aggression is found in all breeds and mixes; I can cite several cases from personal knowledge, a Sheltie who chewed off half the face of an infant left alone on the living room floor while Mother was in basement doing laundry-this was a teacher at my kids' school-, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (this case from a behaviorist I knew) who tore a piece from the face of his loving owner totally unexpectedly and without warning, when she leaned down to where it was sleeping next to her bed are two that come readily to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 02:30 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Would you be as critical of the OP's son's decision to rehome the dog or have it euthanized if the dog in question was a Labrador Retriever? Or would he get a pass because that breed is supposed to be fine with children (even though the particular Lab in question isn't)?

They're not making the choice they are because they are tired of their four-legged toy. They are doing it to safeguard their child. Any medium-to-large dog of any breed (purebred or mutt) that is not tolerant of small children can easily kill a child. That's just reality.
They knew this dog didn't like kids going in. Yet somehow the dog would magically change when she saw their kid? Delusional.

Sorry aredhel not going to debate with you. These people are clueless. Bottom line.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:11 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
They knew this dog didn't like kids going in. Yet somehow the dog would magically change when she saw their kid? Delusional.
No, merely overly optimistic. They knew this dog didn't like one strange child suddenly running up to her and trying to touch her. They thought (naively) that they could get her used to being around a baby who'd not be a stranger (because the baby would be a family member, and the could supervise the introduction and the subsequent interactions between the dog and the baby). And with some dogs, that tactic might actually work. Not with this one, though. And since either the infant or the dog needs to be rehomed, they're sensibly rehoming the dog and keeping their child.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:20 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
*raises hand* I would indeed be "as critical"; NOT for them placing the dog with a better owner which I heartily hope they do but for being the kind of impulsive moron who buys a puppy from a pet shop or breeder whose needs they are unable to meet.
And what need would that be? These aren't couch-potato people who bought a dog from a highly active breed, or neat freaks who bought a dog from a breed that sheds profusely or slobbers constantly, or who bought a dog despite knowing that one of them is allergic to animal dander. This dog's "need" is to be far away from small children, and they had none when they first got her. So where is the failure? (Remember, their other Dogo doesn't have this "need.")

Now, this dog did snap at a strange child who suddenly ran up to her and tried to pet her, so the couple did have some warning there might be a problem. Should they have waited up to 8 additional years for this dog to die from old age before starting a family? That's asking a bit much, particularly since they may have thought the dog could be trained to be more tolerant of small children.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:45 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
I wouldn't give two cents for a dog that didn't growl when it's constantly abused by a child or anyone else. Having said that, I want the stablest temperament possible in a dog because there is always a possibility that a child or someone else may startle or attempt to manhandle my dog and I want the dog to be able to take that without instantly reacting by biting.

I also have to question the choice of a Dogo. Some dogs have a drive to do what they were bred for. A border collie herds and nips and will do so with children. A rat terrier has a prey drive for small rodents. Given what a Dogo was bred to do AND the fact of how large the dog is, AND the fact that there's two of them, AND that the dog has already growled a couple of times would tip the balance for me to rehome the dog. Especially if you don't know how the dog was raised and trained by a previous owner. It's not just a case of the dog growling. In a short time, the household will have a toddler who may grab the dog by the ear or the muzzle at some point which will provoke a much more hostile reaction. And let's face it, not even the most attentive mom will be able to keep that from happening and it only takes once.

And I'm saying that as someone who would live out on the street before I'd have gotten rid of my dog to have a place to live.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:57 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
it sounds like this dog was a rescue dog since they don't know about her past..
I think in this case a euth might be in order simply because her history with little kids is unclear and yanno its not worth the chance that maybe she wont bite a little baby or a toddler .. she is afraid /uneasy with the baby.. .. will it be diffrent with the next family who might get her? ::sighs:: she might be fine with older kids ( teens/ young adults) but right now the baby is "PREY SIZED" and thats cause for concern..
AND you dont want that otherwise very good /well bred dog to go thru the owner mill of finding she has issues and just passing her off to the next owner with out a full history.. I say that because it happened to me .. I am a APBT owner its my prefered breed ok and 99% of them are great family dogs .. but it only takes one to scare or kill and then theres a problem..
I got gifted a well trained, pit once.. after she went thru 5 owners in a short time and no one told me the real reason why.. they just passed her along and sang her praisies .. but she was an accident waiting to happen.. she feared/scared of little kids .. I lived alone so guess no one thought to tell me she would bite out of the blue for no reason.. my grandson came to visit one day .. he was calm quiet and just sitting in a chair talking to me and she bit him with no warning no growl just bit him.. hard enough to bruise him and then ran to her kennel to growl and snarl.. Of course I locked her up and the next day I took her into the vet who had her file and he showed me her history.. That poor dog.. she was abused by kids in her former home and then given away several times for fear bitting and agression.. so when my g/son was bitten by her it was from fear and .. I honesty knew it was the kindest thing to do for her .. so yeah she paid the price.. she was euthed that day but I think she was relieved and glad it was over ... she was about 4 or 5 yrs old .. yeah sad it had to happen but I had no knowledge of her history other than folks worked to much.. she barked, they didnt have a yard .. all sorts of crap and excuses but no truths .. she simply wasnt safe around little kids I had her for couple of months .. she was fine with adults but there was no way to stop a kid being around her .. I wasnt willing to take that chance and just rehome her.. so I did the best thing for her..
No, she wasn’t a rescue. However, it was with a different wife. My son deployed, and his wife wasn’t up to raising the dog correctly. They divorced, and the dog went to live with another soldier with other Dogos. When my son married his second wife, a very normal and competent girl, she surprised him by getting his dog back, and they all lived happily, and even got the second Dogo. All was well until the baby got old enough to trigger the fear (IMO) that the female Dogo has towards children.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:13 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I don't care what breed it is, if it is already growling at a BABY!!! (not a toddler who approaches), the the dog would be GONE from my house, in the ground or to someone without kids and knows how to handle the breed.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:43 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No, she wasn’t a rescue. However, it was with a different wife. My son deployed, and his wife wasn’t up to raising the dog correctly. They divorced, and the dog went to live with another soldier with other Dogos. When my son married his second wife, a very normal and competent girl, she surprised him by getting his dog back, and they all lived happily, and even got the second Dogo. All was well until the baby got old enough to trigger the fear (IMO) that the female Dogo has towards children.
It may be fear. Sometimes dogs growl when they are confused too. You would have to pick up on the difference. I have an 11 month old puppy who I don't think I could MAKE bite someone. I have heard him growl about 3 times when confused though. Like when a dog would bark or growl on TV and it would come through the surround sound system. Even with his temperament a baby crawling may "confuse" him. It would probably be a one time thing though. Sounds like your kids have reason for concern since the dog is 8 and they should know it by now. They are doing the right thing.

One question asked here that I am unclear about; how is the dog close enough to growl at the baby? Are they separated? I know you said supervised, but this is an infant. Is the baby crawling on the floor with two Dogos in the room? You sound like a concerned grandmother. I would be going off if it were me and this is happening. Literally, I would lose sleep.

I practice what I preach too. I recently took in a stray kitten found along the road and wouldn't allow my two dogs to be around her. Even supervised. They were raised with cats too. One is 11 and has slept every night of his life with them and even lets the cats eat out of his dish (when HE is eating - crazy, I know). Still, this is a tiny kitten less than 2 lbs and I can't take a risk till she's older. You can imagine how I would feel about an infant.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So let me get this straight... your son already rehomed this dog once when his life changed, and now is going to do it AGAIN?!

Two marriages, different environments, new babies, new dog number two, this poor animal has been punted around like a football. For the love of Pete, someone needs to give this animal some stability. Sounds like rehoming with w responsible owner is the best that can happen. And please tell your son to stop buying dogs and concentrate on acting like a grown up. This thread really takes the cake.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post

After having the dog for 8 years. How VERY sad...
OP elaborated. Sounds like the dog was shuttled between different people when it became inconvenient for the son during his first divorce. So doubtful he actually had the dog for 8 solid years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs