Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 05:16 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,372,233 times

Advertisements

Digestive enzymes, mild food, probiotics, canned (pure) pumpkin, meds if he is still positive for giardia...all can help. Giardia can be difficult to treat because of the parasite's life cycle (you have to catch them at the right moment with prescription meds in order to kill them off, so it can be hit or miss).

If, after all of that, your pup still gets diarrhea, I'd check him to see if he is sensitive to certain foods. My dog had chronic diarrhea as a pup, and he tested positive for giardia. Luckily he did respond quickly to the treatment and he tested negative afterward, but his diarrhea persisted. It turned out that he's got a very sensitive gut and he doesn't tolerate a lot of processed foods well. I found a combo of foods that work quite well for him, and I continue to add pure pumpkin in his food semi-regularly, but every so often it'll flare up again. What also triggers an episode is extremely hot days, and stress.

I hope you're able to find a workable solution for your little one! ��
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 05:45 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,281,045 times
You might want to try having him fast for 24 hours to kind of reset his gut, then introduce a bland diet. I'd test for the giardia again though before doing that. Getting stools to firm up after a bad bout can be a real challenge with some dogs. My one friend (a vet) never actually fixed the problem for her dog - just kind of accepted the dog had soft stools and that was as good as it was going to get. In other words, it can very greatly with the dog.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:21 PM

5,634 posts, read 4,174,460 times
Lets see OP, you now have roughly 17 different options to try to get rid of your dogs diarrhea, all of which have worked for at least one person and their dog. Which one to try? Whats a person to do in your situation? if it was me, I would not pay much attention to what 17 strangers on the internet tell me worked for their dog, but I'd ask one person who has experience with hundreds and hundreds of dogs...A VET! Keep talking to your vet and that is going to clear up the problem far quicker than trying everything under the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs