Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,729,893 times

Advertisements

Mine is terrified of thunder, fireworks, gunshots, cars backfiring. OK, that I can understand. Gets anxious with car rides, and then motion sick, too. But tonight, we had a cold front come through, with wind (we live in the Northeast, and it's not windy that much), and he's scared of that, too! Got up off his comfortable dog bed to come lie on the cold hardwood floor right next to me on the couch, drooling with anxiety.

I feel bad for the poor thing, but really, scared of the wind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 12:35 AM

22,975 posts, read 18,280,015 times
Hard to say what fears are learned and what the triggers are, but part of it is because something that a dog is aware of is often too subtle for a human to notice. It could be there's a sensory connection between thunder and wind. Air pressure, barometric change. They often occur together.

My current dog gets quite anxious about many odd things. She has always been a sweetly timid dog. Whenever there's any activity going on in the house, people bustling around more than usual she sneaks into a back bedroom and hides. Her nickname at the rescue was Hidey. Doesn't matter what the activity is...away she goes. She avoids anything that makes noise, anything that is dropped on the floor (including clothing), when objects or furniture are moved, anything crinkly (food wrappers), things slipping off tables or chairs, kitchen activity, quite a lot. I am careful not to comfort her or "reward" her for acting this way and praising her if she doesn't spook. Ironically, something big like thunder or gunfire doesn't bother her, but I suspect she watches me for guidance. If I react she picks up on it.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:39 AM

454 posts, read 493,189 times
One of my dogs gets terrified when I zoom into the map on a video game and when my Xbox avatar starts moving on the screen. (?!?!?!)

Another one isn't so afraid but he gets really angry if you make fart noises. Of course, real farts are fine, it's mouth farts he hates LOL

Dog 3 hates thunder. That's it.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:15 AM

1,201 posts, read 796,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Mine is terrified of thunder, fireworks, gunshots, cars backfiring. OK, that I can understand. Gets anxious with car rides, and then motion sick, too. But tonight, we had a cold front come through, with wind (we live in the Northeast, and it's not windy that much), and he's scared of that, too! Got up off his comfortable dog bed to come lie on the cold hardwood floor right next to me on the couch, drooling with anxiety.

I feel bad for the poor thing, but really, scared of the wind?
Nothing that I know of - I have terriers! Actually, I have never in my life of having dogs had a personal dog that was frightened of any of those things. My younger dog got car sick every single time she got in the car for about 6-7 months but she outgrew it thankfully. She HATED going in the car during that period and I couldn't blame her but after getting over the car sickness, she LOVES going in the car. I have had foster dogs come in with fear issues (storms, fireworks, vacuum cleaner, sirens) but I dealt with those and then they were fine and had no more issues with their triggers at my house.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:38 PM

986 posts, read 1,659,991 times
Mine is afraid of the usual: fireworks, thunderstorms, and overall loud noises. But he is also afraid of a few strange things like mylar balloons and cardboard boxes

And one time he lost his mind barking at an orange safety cone. I have no idea what that was all about.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:30 PM

22,975 posts, read 18,280,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post

And one time he lost his mind barking at an orange safety cone. I have no idea what that was all about.
LOL!!!! I love it when a dog goes nuts barking at some "new thing that must be a threat" and then realize it's nothing. They just deflate and look around sheepishly as if to say "did anybody see me do that?". I once happened to look over a board fence at my own dog while wearing sunglasses; the same sunglasses I always wore in the car or on walks with same dog. Dog went nuts yelling at me. I took off the sunglasses. He literally crawled away on his knees he was so embarrassed.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:39 PM

8,457 posts, read 10,873,667 times
My first German Shepherd I had, many years ago, was only afraid of one thing, Helicopters.
Other than that he was fine.
Planes, thunder, fireworks didn't bother him, just helicopters.

Bob.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:48 PM

6,603 posts, read 4,725,619 times
Mine is scared of sudden loud noises. Loud music, little kids screaming and playing. Fireworks, if he’s close to them.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:31 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,549,466 times
As Chaos has gotten older alarms frighten her be it smoke alarms or cell phones pinging because the battery is low. I was walking her once when the cell phone battery indicator started chirping it was a tough walk s she was a nervous Nellie!

Other dogs I had also developed sensitivity to sounds as they aged and would act frightened so perhaps it has to do with the loss of hearing as they age?

Old 12-19-2018, 01:15 PM

838 posts, read 550,325 times
Josie thinks hair clippers are the devil. My groomer and I tried working together to treat train her but she freaks out just at the sight of them. Even tried to mimic a grooming with the clippers turned off but the minute it goes near her body she goes crazy. We are still working on her getting used to them but she just gets too anxious and stressed. I hate that for her. So hand scissoring for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs