Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 07:29 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,979,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
That's so sad about the Labradoodles. That must be a big regret for that person. The one I met seemed to be a fantastic dog but unfortunately whenever there is a huge financial opportunity, you will have people taking advantage.

I will say I didn't quite understand why not just get a poodle if you are going up to 75% poodle anyway. Do people like the look of the "doodle" better?
I think it's primarily personality. Poodles are supposedly among the high-energy intelligent group of dogs. I don't know any well enough to speak first-hand. Back when I did know some poodles and owners, I wasn't aware of the differences that working bloodlines make. As I recall, those I've met were never as people-friendly as the crosses. Anybody out there in CD dog forum-land own poodles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 08:29 AM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I think it's primarily personality. Poodles are supposedly among the high-energy intelligent group of dogs. I don't know any well enough to speak first-hand. Back when I did know some poodles and owners, I wasn't aware of the differences that working bloodlines make. As I recall, those I've met were never as people-friendly as the crosses. Anybody out there in CD dog forum-land own poodles?
My parents had standard poodles when I was a kid, they are high energy, non aggressive dogs. They are probably the easiest dog to train and love to learn tricks and 'show off' for you. They tolerate kids very well. Standard poodles and Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are my favorite breeds. Chessies are not as high energy but they are still clownish, have soft mouths and will do anything to become your best friend. I had a Chessie who lived until he was 14 and he was awesome, I still tear up sometimes when I think about him.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:51 PM

32,565 posts, read 47,729,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
There aren't really any working lines of poodles. There are many dual lines where the dogs win at shows and also hunt and earn hunting titles, if anyone wants a house pet they can hunt over.

I suspect that a lot of people have their only poodle experience with badly bred, ungroomed, cheap puppy mill, backyard bred, pet store poodles. There isn't much nastier looking than a badly bred poodle that is 6 months overdue for grooming and is a matted stinking mess of mats. Puppy mill dogs aren't bred for temperament and the toy and miniature pet store poodles often have bad patellas and hop around using only one back leg.

A well bred poodle has a confident temperament. If you meet one, it is most likely to belong to a dog person who grooms and trains and the dog will be trained to not jump on people. I think that some people interpret this as being standoffish. Poodles are loving with their family and polite to strangers. They are one of the most intelligent breeds which makes them easy to train but also makes them easy to spoil with bad training.

In case anyone would like to see something interesting, Google "corded poodles". The corded coat is the natural coat of the breed, but it is too much work for most owners.

Poodles in pet homes are most often kept in a puppy cut.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-13-2019 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-13-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There aren't really any working lines of poodles. There are many dual lines where the dogs win at shows and also hunt and earn hunting titles.
The energy and intelligence are supposedly from that hunting lineage. I've watched how much difference it makes when pups come out of bloodlines that actually do traditional sorts of active work like that. I would guess one could expect the same for poodles.

It's a little ironically humorous in a way - poodles had a stereotype as a frilly "frou-frou" sort of ladie's dog when I was a kid. I don't think they've entirely lost that - but I've noticed for some years now that the online dog resources talk about their energy and hunting heritage. So I'm thinking it has been "rediscovered" to an extent. And maybe they were never popular enough, like Standard collies were, to spoil the breed. I really don't know - just going on what I can see. Thanks for the comment, tho! Always learning interesting stuff.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
There aren't really any working lines of poodles. There are many dual lines where the dogs win at shows and also hunt and earn hunting titles, if anyone wants a house pet they can hunt over.

I suspect that a lot of people have their only poodle experience with badly bred, ungroomed, cheap puppy mill, backyard bred, pet store poodles. There isn't much nastier looking than a badly bred poodle that is 6 months overdue for grooming and is a matted stinking mess of mats. Puppy mill dogs aren't bred for temperament and the toy and miniature pet store poodles often have bad patellas and hop around using only one back leg.

A well bred poodle has a confident temperament. If you meet one, it is most likely to belong to a dog person who grooms and trains and the dog will be trained to not jump on people. I think that some people interpret this as being standoffish. Poodles are loving with their family and polite to strangers. They are one of the most intelligent breeds which makes them easy to train but also makes them easy to spoil with bad training.

In case anyone would like to see something interesting, Google "corded poodles". The corded coat is the natural coat of the breed, but it is too much work for most owners.
They're fairly popular with hunters

Poodles show versatility in hunting and field trials

Gun Dog Breeds: Standard Poodle - Gun Dog

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/poodl...s-1-companion/

Old 01-13-2019, 03:27 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Hi Dog forum, I'm a married father of 4 living in central Minnesota.
Six people AND special needs too? You need to start with professional training.

Train the people first and by using OTHER dogs.
Then, using that experience and trainers advice figure what breed will work best.
Of course labs will be near the top of the list.

THEN start looking for a pup.
And keep using the trainer to help with this one too.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
. . .to see something interesting, Google "corded poodles". The corded coat is the natural coat of the breed, but it is too much work for most owners.

. . .
Natty Dreads of the dog world!

Old 01-14-2019, 08:54 AM

3,815 posts, read 6,418,593 times
Tell me about Cockapoos, forum. We really like everything we've learned about this breed, and it seems like a good sized dog for our situation.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Tell me about Cockapoos, forum. We really like everything we've learned about this breed, and it seems like a good sized dog for our situation.
Cockapoos are part cocker spaniel, part poodle, I might have missed it but I didn't see anyone recommending them as a dog for this family.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:19 AM

10,348 posts, read 7,936,317 times
Quote:
Not a breed, but a mix. Make sure you can meet the grooming requirements; otherwise the dog will quickly become a matted mess and develop chronic ear infections. Cockers can be snappy and nippy, but most cockapoos I've met don't seem to suffer from this trait. The biggest problem is that most people breeding crosses like this one aren't using quality parents; with cockapoos, this means the danger of inheriting an eye disease called PRA (which occurs in both cocker spaniels and poodles). You'd only want to get one from a breeder who's using breeding stock that has hips and elbows cleared by OFA and CERF certificates for eyes. And you need to SEE the certificates, not simply take the breeder's word that they've done the testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs