Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Leash/Waste Laws Be Enforced?
Laws were made to be broken, let the Dogs run free and poop at will! 0 0%
People who ignore leash/waste laws give Dog owners a bad rap, enforce the laws! 15 100.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 08:38 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times

Advertisements

I belong to a Hiking Club and frequently go for "Power Walks" in my local Town and State Parks. All have strict leash/waste laws, and some restrict dogs to certain areas.

On group hikes, one of our members (ex military) is continually having "showdowns" and heated arguments with dog owners who, the minute they are out of view of park headquarters/park police cars unleash the dog/s. They brush against us soaking wet, one large dog almost knocked an elderly club member off a steep bluff, dragging leashes get wrapped around our legs, etc.

On "Power Walks", when not dodging "landmines" (remember, mandatory waste cleanup) I will be coming down a trail at a fast clip (I am tall and weigh in at around 205). The illegally unleashed dogs get nervous or "friendly charge" me, the large "protective" breeds can start going into attack mode to defend their owner if they see me as a threat. This leaves the owners scrambling to call the dog back and leash, desperately calling out to the pet. This doesn't take into account dogs in areas they have been restricted from.

I now either have to constantly and continually break stride to give owners time to leash, or keep pace and let the chips fall where they may.

I live in a densely populated area and I believe dog owners have so few areas they can "air their dogs out" they have resorted to civil disobedience. And I sympathize with their dilemma and realize there is no easy answer or solve to this.

Just wondered what your thoughts are regarding same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 09:48 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Yes, it's getting to be a problem everywhere. I own a dog and haven't had a problem with others in 45 years where I live until recently. Owner's need to obey the leash laws. If they live in an apartment, they need to consider a breed's exercise requirements before they acquire. I totally understand the heated arguments. Just be careful. I would hate to see anyone get hurt.

There are some crazy people out there. I saw on MSN today that a guy died this week after getting punched by a fellow dog walker in a park after he told the owner to put it on a leash. Note: I can't help (and it doesn't matter in this case) what breed is involved if anyone takes issue with that part of story.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ull-leash.html

Last edited by motownnative; 01-11-2019 at 11:18 PM..

Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
The problem could be mitigated, if more the agencies governing large parks and woods instituted certain hours where dogs could run off-leash under their owners' supervision; and post signs accordingly. Of course, the dog owners must pick up after their dogs; and laws against aggressive dogs would still apply. I wouldn't expect every park and woodland to allow off-leash dogs; but there ought to be some places where the dogs could be legally unleashed; especially in areas with large acreage (or square miles).

Old 01-12-2019, 06:35 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I totally understand the heated arguments. Just be careful. I would hate to see anyone get hurt.

There are some crazy people out there. I saw on MSN today that a guy died this week after getting punched by a fellow dog walker in a park after he told the owner to put it on a leash. Note: I can't help (and it doesn't matter in this case) what breed is involved if anyone takes issue with that part of story.
Thank you for the advice and link motown. I am very careful not to take things past a reminder in citing leash/waste laws, particularly when I am walking alone in remote sections of a park. The person who takes on unlawful owners does so on our group hikes, he is ex-military with alot of training, and there is usually 15 people or more on the hike. Still doesn't guaranty a safe outcome for all, but pet owners usually cap retaliation to argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
The problem could be mitigated, if more the agencies governing large parks and woods instituted certain hours where dogs could run off-leash under their owners' supervision; and post signs accordingly. Of course, the dog owners must pick up after their dogs; and laws against aggressive dogs would still apply. I wouldn't expect every park and woodland to allow off-leash dogs; but there ought to be some places where the dogs could be legally unleashed; especially in areas with large acreage (or square miles).
This is a good idea! Or maybe dog owners could start up a grass roots organization or club, raise funds and offer to pay to create fenced in runs at local parks.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
The poll is a bit unfair, since it equates allowing the dogs off-leash with not picking up the poop. I only take my dogs to places where they are permitted off-leash, and pick up my dog's poop. Unless they deposit it in the middle of that patch of poison ivy - where I'm pretty confident no walkers will go. A lot of dog owners, even in our dog-allowed parks, are not very good about picking up the poop. Most are, a lot aren't.

I've only very rarely taken my dogs to a park where they are required to be on leash. When I did, I was not as casual about it as the dog owners you describe. They stayed on leash.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Thank you for the advice and link motown. I am very careful not to take things past a reminder in citing leash/waste laws, particularly when I am walking alone in remote sections of a park. The person who takes on unlawful owners does so on our group hikes, he is ex-military with alot of training, and there is usually 15 people or more on the hike. Still doesn't guaranty a safe outcome for all, but pet owners usually cap retaliation to argument.

This is a good idea! Or maybe dog owners could start up a grass roots organization or club, raise funds and offer to pay to create fenced in runs at local parks.
That story really shocked me. So many lives ruined from not abiding with leash laws. Glad you are curious about both sides of the issue. I am a petite female and had to confront someone myself. It was the wife of a husky owner and she took my side at least. She told me she didn't want that breed of dog and gave in to her husband. The dog's exercise requirements are proving to be too much for them. This is a common problem. The way I look at it is like this: I grew up around horses and would love to have one. I only have property that is less than an acre now so it's not going to happen unless I board it. People need to be realistic with dog choices too.

To elaborate a bit; of course all dog's need exercise. It sounds like you are more than understanding about that. Yet it's hard for me to feel too sorry for the off leash crowd as I currently have dogs that can never be off leash anyway. (BTW, we have responsible people that post here whose dogs can be that find safe places for their dogs to run). I have two beagles and you may be aware that hounds will take off after any scent, a squirrel, etc. so it is for their own safety. No rescue will even adopt these dogs out unless an owner agrees to keep them on a leash in public.

Truthfully, my past herding breeds were not much different. My German Shepherd had great recall and gave off body language where anyone could tell she was friendly. However, I would never let her off lead around walkers like you are describing as I respect that many people are very intimidated by that breed. I owned her before leash laws were enacted in my area.

My collie looked like Lassie and would scare few, but being a herding breed he developed a habit of chasing motorcycles/bicycles along my fence line. When I would take him to urban areas to walk I couldn't trust that a bike wouldn't go by. So again, always on a leash.

I talked to bicyclists in my area who struggle in a similar way to the walkers you know. They liked my dog and would wave or give a thumbs up as he was safely in a fence when chasing. A few stopped to talk and told me they are in danger from cars in the 35-45 mph speed limit area I live in as they can't always keep up with traffic. However, if they bike in safer, more rural areas they will get chased by unfenced dogs. One showed me his scars. Even a "friendly" herding dog could grab onto clothing causing a skin puncture or knock a bicycle over.

This post got a little longer than expected (I am snowed in today LOL) but it is a problem. The current popularity of dogs is not helping. To sum up, my dogs all lived happy, healthy lives; long past their breed expectancy and were not overweight. They were ALWAYS on a leash. You can bear this in mind when meeting others. Any excuses or "attitude" from dog owner's is not only rude, but unlawful.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:47 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I belong to a Hiking Club and frequently go for "Power Walks" in my local Town and State Parks. All have strict leash/waste laws, and some restrict dogs to certain areas.

On group hikes, one of our members (ex military) is continually having "showdowns" and heated arguments with dog owners who, the minute they are out of view of park headquarters/park police cars unleash the dog/s. They brush against us soaking wet, one large dog almost knocked an elderly club member off a steep bluff, dragging leashes get wrapped around our legs, etc.

On "Power Walks", when not dodging "landmines" (remember, mandatory waste cleanup) I will be coming down a trail at a fast clip (I am tall and weigh in at around 205). The illegally unleashed dogs get nervous or "friendly charge" me, the large "protective" breeds can start going into attack mode to defend their owner if they see me as a threat. This leaves the owners scrambling to call the dog back and leash, desperately calling out to the pet. This doesn't take into account dogs in areas they have been restricted from.

I now either have to constantly and continually break stride to give owners time to leash, or keep pace and let the chips fall where they may.

I live in a densely populated area and I believe dog owners have so few areas they can "air their dogs out" they have resorted to civil disobedience. And I sympathize with their dilemma and realize there is no easy answer or solve to this.

Just wondered what your thoughts are regarding same.
Same as speeding. We know it's illegal and we face fines, but people decide to do it because they want to, and because they can, and because the risk does not outweigh the benefits.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:36 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
The problem could be mitigated, if more the agencies governing large parks and woods instituted
certain hours where dogs could run off-leash under their owners' supervision; and post signs accordingly.
"Dog Day Afternoons"

Old 01-12-2019, 12:53 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
That story really shocked me. So many lives ruined from not abiding with leash laws. . . .
It happens as well that dogs perceived as a threat get shot and killed. I recall seeing a such a news article a couple of years ago, about a couple of hikers with a large breed juvenile pup. The pup ran at another hiking couple, man pulls out gun, kills dog. Walks by the dog owner couple and says "Sorry about your dog". Tried to find the story, and there are too many similar stories since. We're not talking tons, less than a dozen nationwide in the past couple years - and most of those because one of the dogs initiated a fight.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
It happens as well that dogs perceived as a threat get shot and killed. I recall seeing a such a news article a couple of years ago, about a couple of hikers with a large breed juvenile pup. The pup ran at another hiking couple, man pulls out gun, kills dog. Walks by the dog owner couple and says "Sorry about your dog". Tried to find the story, and there are too many similar stories since. We're not talking tons, less than a dozen nationwide in the past couple years - and most of those because one of the dogs initiated a fight.
Very true. Having a GSD in particular made me very aware of the perceived threat that many people felt. I didn't blame them at all nor did I get defensive. I was born in the 60's and grew up in the 70's and 80's; a very non "PC" time unlike today. No one was considered "breedist" if they feared a German Shepherd or any other dog breed for that matter (even just large size is a factor for many). GSD's are used primarily by the police and are considered modern "dogs of war" due their extensive military use. OP's friend is former military so he knows that dog is "capable" of ripping someone's throat out. Being aware of other's fear of various dog breeds is a normal thing IMO, but I have innocently got myself in trouble for mentioning it.

The laws in my state allow you to shoot any type of dog for worrying livestock or pets. "Worrying" could be as simple as being off leash and chasing and barking along a fence. That fact, combined with our state doing away with concealed carry permits a few years ago (no one needs a permit now to conceal a weapon - other states may be adopting this too) should wake some dog owner's up: If you love your dog and care about it's welfare - leash it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs