Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 07:22 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times

Advertisements

Our collie is a male, 101 pounds and a sable. He is so handsome and is a good boy....except that he is a chewer.

He will be 5 on Monday so the chew issue is going away.

However, he has destroyed all the window treatments in our home that he can reach and we experienced this first hand the other day.

For some reason, the pool guy drives him wild. We've had him meet the pool guy and he wagged his tail and was friendly. So was the pool guy who feels bad that our collie behaves as he does.

When the lawn guy comes, he's fine. Snoozefest.

So, on Friday, we were there. He came kind of early; my husband was in the shower and I was in the other side of the home. By the time I got to the master bedroom, he had ripped out all the vertical blinds and the thing above the sliding glass door also - whole thing came down; totally ripped it out of the wall.

He did this in less than 30 seconds - strong dog!

Anyway, I'm glad he barks and he's a really good talker but has anyone dealt with this kind of behavior?

BTW, our other 2 dogs (Shelties) are fine with the pool guy. They do not chew either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 04:04 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Don't sound like a Chewer .... Sounds like he is Over Protective. I suggest you crate him when the pool boy is there. Work on Obedience also.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:34 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
Collies are high energy working dogs that need a purpose and/or lots of exercise. They live to work, and he's just acting out that role.

Border Collie Exercise - Physical and mental exercising needs & Ideas

Quote:
For this breed it is extremely important to keep them engaged in some sort of mental and physical activity. Lack of activity is the main reason why people find it difficult to handle their Border Collie dogs."
Just waking them is not going to cut it. They need to run and run often.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:13 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
Yes, I have dealt with it. I got rid of all blinds (they can get caught up in them - and can be dangerous). And I replaced 2 curtain rods.
Small price to pay for a safe home.

Mine only did it if someone stared at him, and didn’t back away. It was, after all, my dog’s “job” to protect his house.
No way would I try to train that out of a dog... he was never a chewer, but protector - oh yah. At 5 if your boy destroys something, it’s probably not because he is bored.

My neighbor saw a guy do it, lol like I needed someone to verify the disaster I had asked this guy not to go to my house without me there to work up a quote - for building a deck, he said all dogs love me.... needless to say I didn’t hire him for the job.

I’m guessing that the pool guy did “something” that your dog interpreted as “not right” when you weren’t around. They don’t soon forget!
Or.... maybe it is just his pole? Don’t dismiss how your dog feels about the pool guy, since he accepts the lawn guys. There may be a sense he has.
Whatever the reason, I would keep the dog in a room where he can’t see the pool action on pool days maybe with a tv or music playing.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:44 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Yea, sounds like a collie to me. Wait till your window sills get gouged from collie jumping up at the window to go nuts when someone rides past on a bike. LOL.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:19 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
.... Sounds like he is Over Protective. I suggest you crate him when the pool boy is there. Work on Obedience also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Collies are high energy working dogs that need a purpose and/or lots of exercise. They live to work, and he's just acting out that role.

Border Collie Exercise - Physical and mental exercising needs & Ideas

Just waking them is not going to cut it. They need to run and run often.
Running might be helpful, but I'm pretty sure this is not a working bloodline collie - most likely she has a rough collie (used to be "Standard"). At 100 lbs it is not a BC. Technically, there is a faction that is trying to revive the working instincts in the Standard collies, but AFAIC, those working genes were gone by the time I was a young man.

But more exercise might be helpful with that energy that goes into chewing. Or redirecting to chew appropriate toys.

Maybe the pool guy is carrying a skimmer - a stick - and the collie reacts to "man with stick". It really doesn't matter - the collie doesn't trust the pool man to approach the house without a fuss. That isn't likely to change. I'll go with Katie's advice. Katie's advice is solid here.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:08 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
My parents had a mutt that went crazy when the mail lady came and did damage blinds or drapes in her intense excitement. She sounded like she wanted to kill the mail lady. This is in So CA so the house has a mail slot next to the front door. My parents thought maybe it was the mail dropping into the slot so they got a mail box and attached on the porch nope did not make a difference. If she was outside and saw mail truck she would get all worked up too. Funny part is the mail lady lived in the neighborhood 2 blocks away. If she was out walking the neighborhood as a neighbor the dog loved her and never even barked. The lady use to stop and talk with my mom and pet the dog but put on that mail outfit and no go the dog would go nuts!

Old 01-14-2019, 03:41 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile I think it's the pool skimmer

I think it must be the tool the pool guy holds.

We never know when he's coming.

The rooms with no access are small and he'd feel so cramped; probably claw at the door to get out.

He does not do this with anyone else; just the pool guy.

I know it's insane but he's such a good dog otherwise. Even the chewing seems to have subsided.

Thanks for all the replies; nice to know others have experienced something like this.

My husband just adores this dog. My husband is tall and I think he feels he is a real companion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs