Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 07:02 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The thing is is that this dog is already "potty trained" — she's just been trained to use the pads, and now the OP wants to change that. She's "holding it" because she thinks that's what she's supposed to do except when on a pad.

Putting the puppy pad outside worked well enough for me, but it wasn't an immediate fix and required consistency.
Yeah, I've done that. You still take the pad away and take them out a lot and deal with some accidents in the meantime. They won't let themselves explode from pee

If you keep giving pads, you're just reinforcing the pad use
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 07:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Yeah, I've done that. You still take the pad away and take them out a lot and deal with some accidents in the meantime. They won't let themselves explode from pee

If you keep giving pads, you're just reinforcing the pad use
It worked fine for me. He knew it was out there, and it was easy to wean him off of it. After a week or so, he didn't even look for the pad outside.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-26-2019 at 07:50 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 10:44 AM

143 posts, read 144,481 times
You can take the pad inside away but still use it outside as a signal for what you expect. After the puppy regularly goes on the pad outside if they don't automatically transition to the ground you can cut the pads into smaller and smaller pieces until you no longer need them. Some puppies need that bridge.

The bigger problem for OP is the puppy isn't going to pee outside until it is comfortable letting its guard down outside. This puppy apparently missed the habituation window of the first 16 weeks. Puppies under 16 weeks are little sponges that soak up experiences that shape the way they perceive the world. During those early weeks puppies need to be exposed to different surfaces, sights, sounds, smells. Puppies who experience many different things are more willing to accept new experiences in the future. Older puppies that don't have varied experiences think new things are scary and need to be desensitized. There is no magic switch that flips at 16 weeks and it is not too late to show the outside world is a safe place. It is going to take longer and be more work than with a younger puppy.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:14 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Take the dog for a walk if the weather permits, not just standing in the yard. Get her used to being outside and socialize her. When she potties outside, reward her.

Put her in the crate when you're in the house or keep her tethered to you. If she tries to go in front of you, tell her no and get her outside immediately. Then reward when she does go in the appropriate place.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:49 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaynes288 View Post
You can take the pad inside away but still use it outside as a signal for what you expect. After the puppy regularly goes on the pad outside if they don't automatically transition to the ground you can cut the pads into smaller and smaller pieces until you no longer need them. Some puppies need that bridge.

The bigger problem for OP is the puppy isn't going to pee outside until it is comfortable letting its guard down outside. This puppy apparently missed the habituation window of the first 16 weeks. Puppies under 16 weeks are little sponges that soak up experiences that shape the way they perceive the world. During those early weeks puppies need to be exposed to different surfaces, sights, sounds, smells. Puppies who experience many different things are more willing to accept new experiences in the future. Older puppies that don't have varied experiences think new things are scary and need to be desensitized. There is no magic switch that flips at 16 weeks and it is not too late to show the outside world is a safe place. It is going to take longer and be more work than with a younger puppy.
Thanks for this. I just thought she was weird and afraid of everything but this makes a lot of sense. We’ll take a few walks or should I say longer walks just to get use to new surroundings.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:19 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Take the pads away.
Take her out often.
Be ok with some accidents.

She will get it!
I agree! Puppy pads just confuse them IMO.

I have trained 3 toy breeds to go outside to do their business in both the fall and winter, and even if it's cold outside, they "get it" as long as you are consistent.

One good thing about cold weather (snow, freezing temps), they aren't likely to want to sniff and play around. They do their business and want to get inside asap!

Old 01-29-2019, 09:50 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
My girl dog pulled this stunt on me of holding it. Mainly it was because the neighbors were not respecting my wish to leave her alone until she went. That was my rule that she was going to learn: When we go outside, the first thing you do is go to the bathroom, then play around.

The reason for that was because of where we lived. I lived in the Everglades. Not only did I have to worry about gators, I had to worry about weather in the summer - the storms are insane out there, and I'm not going to watch a gator snap her and part of the leash right out of my hands, nor am I getting struck by lightning because she wants to dink around instead of just going to the dang bathroom.

So, I decided to start crate training her. I did the same: take her out, she would just sit there and stare at me, (she didn't get an hour to do that - she got 10 minutes and that was standing in one spot, not walking all over the neighborhood), bring her back inside, put her in the crate for 10 minutes, take her back out, wait 10 minutes, bring her back inside...etc.

One day, she decided to test. She tested me for a full 24 hours. That is not even the slightest bit exaggerated. It literally went on for one full day. I was so tired, and very frustrated, and really not liking my dog that day, so I got online during one of her 10 minutes in the crate time. I looked up how to make my dog go. I found a site that talked about dogs who had surgery in the back end, or a disability, and how to massage around her hips to make her go.

I tried it.

It flipping worked. It took a couple of minutes, but it worked. (And yes, I gloated, which she didn't care for.)

That takes care of going to the bathroom if you ever get to the point.

Do you not take her on walks otherwise? Why would you assume that because she doesn't want to go to the bathroom outside that it means she doesn't like being outside? If you take her on walks and she's fine, it has nothing to do with being outside and everything to do with her just not wanting to do what you you want her to do. Fix that.
I'll remember this!

Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Not sure what the weather is where you live but if it's nice, you might start feeding her outside. Help her associate outside with good things.

And I agree, no pads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs