Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 04:44 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,751,833 times

Advertisements

I’ve met two nice large breed dogs recently.

The first dog is a Great Dane in our obedience class that just finished. What a gentle giant! He is such a laid-back dog, none of the other dogs were bothered by him. He never got ruffled about anything or any other dogs. Even treats were no big deal for him.

The second dog lives in our neighborhood during the winter. The first time my puppy Georgy heard this dog bark, she immediately sat down in the middle of the road. He has a very deep, resonating bark and is a Black Russian Terrier, which I googled when I got home. I had never seen one before, They were bred in Russia during the forties as working/military dogs and are a mix of Giant Schnauzers, Airedale’s, Rotties and Newfies to name a few of the breeds used. He weighs 130 pounds and was silently taking us in when we met him, he’s definitely good guard dog material.

Our area is heavy with HOA’s that have size restrictions in place, so small to medium dogs are more commonly seen and the extra large ones not as often.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-02-2019 at 05:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 08:07 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,914,644 times
^^^I also had to google Black Russian Terriers. What striking dogs they are!

I wouldn't mind having one if it weren't for all that hair! Gosh I would need to use the full size horse clippers on the poor dog during the summer months, where I live

Jean_ji,. How is your Doodle doing in obedience school? I hope you are having a good time

It's supposed to stay in the low 70's all week. My dogs still like to go out for their run but they don't "run" near as much and it's only 70-something degrees.

The fecals on the dogs and horses came back "negative". "Negative" is never a true literal statement, it just means the worm egg count is so low it is considered negative.

I also had blood drawn on both horses to check Insulin & cortisol levels; CBC and Chemistry Panels. Both horses blood work ups were all within normal ranges.

My 23 yr old horse has been in insulin resistance remission four years, so I am ecstatic with his insulin numbers. With all this great news, I Should be able to sleep worry-free for at least two nights, lollol

Old 04-04-2019, 12:25 AM

64 posts, read 55,782 times
Ah, BRTs! One of my favorite breeds! Beautiful dogs, the working lines (or whatever is left of them) are also pretty smart.
Well, maybe in some other life...
The hair is pretty manageable, btw. The bite is not.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:30 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,751,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
^^^I also had to google Black Russian Terriers. What striking dogs they are!

I wouldn't mind having one if it weren't for all that hair! Gosh I would need to use the full size horse clippers on the poor dog during the summer months, where I live

Jean_ji,. How is your Doodle doing in obedience school? I hope you are having a good time

It's supposed to stay in the low 70's all week. My dogs still like to go out for their run but they don't "run" near as much and it's only 70-something degrees.

The fecals on the dogs and horses came back "negative". "Negative" is never a true literal statement, it just means the worm egg count is so low it is considered negative.

I also had blood drawn on both horses to check Insulin & cortisol levels; CBC and Chemistry Panels. Both horses blood work ups were all within normal ranges.

My 23 yr old horse has been in insulin resistance remission four years, so I am ecstatic with his insulin numbers. With all this great news, I Should be able to sleep worry-free for at least two nights, lollol
The BRT’s owner cautioned us that we could pet him under his chin, but to not to put our hands over his head to pet. I was good with letting him sniff the back of my hand.

The doodle is doing great in class, he’s very quiet, I heard him bark for the first time the other day. He makes great eye contact with his owner and is doing well in class. The most improved dog has been a Shiba Inu who was so reactive to all the dogs/people in the first class and extremely disruptive with a piercing scream/bark. The trainer suggested private lessons, which the owner agreed to, and she was brought back in with the class two weeks after. She didn’t bark at all during class this week. I honestly thought after the first class she would never be back, Kudos to her owner!

All the pups in class are entering the stage where their legs seem to have lengthened tremendously overnight. They are now gangly teenagers with some testing of the rules, including mine. The trainer described Georgy as... exuberant. That she is!

It’s great your pets are doing well and you can get a good night’s sleep. I’m glad to hear it!

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-04-2019 at 08:45 AM..

Old 04-04-2019, 01:51 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Our little man has a ball! At our vet check up today, we found out that our dog, who was supposedly fixed before we got him, has one testicle. Our vet will check with the vet who did it, to see what his records show.

Since our vet has given him a checkup before and only discovered the testicle today, the theory is this was undecended until recently, although undecended testicles are supposed to be removed also.

I am hoping that the reason why my son’s dog (an intact male) does not like our dog is because he must be giving off some male pheromones. Hope so.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:08 PM

372 posts, read 219,760 times
My last dog was a Pit Bull. Dumb as a bag of hammers, but the best natured dog I've ever had. I had to have him put down last April because he had an aggressive stomach tumour. I said goodbye just before the vet said he would begin to suffer greatly. A rescue dog, I'd had him for over 12 years.He was 13.

Several months later, I got another rescue dog. Major is a 2 year old Jack Russell. Distressingly energetic, destructive (loves shredding anything made from paper , wood, or plastic) -and scary smart. Not used to having a dog smarter than me.

He was apparently owned by an old lady, and was too much for her. That meant he was not trained, at all. I took him to a 6 week dog training course.I learned heaps. Him, not so much. He has improved slightly.

Overall, I think he's terrific! He's great company. Still hates me going out, but is just thrilled when I return. He demands, and gets ,a lot of attention. That suits me fine. He likes sleeping under the bed clothes, near my feet.

I can't imagine being without a dog. I also like cats, but not as much .Having a cat is like having a demanding guest, permanently..

Old 04-04-2019, 05:44 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,914,644 times
c charliemy sympathies in the loss of your Pit Bull.

Your dog story is well written (you have a talent for writing) and fun to read

I hate (not really) those dogs that are smarter than me, lol. A Rottweiler was rehomed to me last December that is smarter than me -- she turned two in March, so add the Terrible Twos Puppy to that.

She also likes plastic - the plastic on the corner of the box springs (bed), even though she has every agressive chew toy known to mankind at her disposal

Her previous owner successfully took her thru Obedience 101 but --- if I'm not around -- she would rather ask forgiveness than permission, lol. She will let my Catahoula/mix greet me at the kitchen door, while she hides in the living room waiting to see if he gets yelled at for whatever she did that I can't see, lol. The Catahoula has never chewed anything accept deer antlers, so I know if anything is out of place the "Rottenweiler" did it, lol

Do you have pictures of your JRT Energizer?

Old 04-04-2019, 06:29 PM

372 posts, read 219,760 times
Default photo coming.

Yes, I have photos (and videos) of Major.

Will post a picture when I work out how.

Thank you for the kind words about my writing style. A first for me.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:22 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
My last dog was a Pit Bull. Dumb as a bag of hammers, but the best natured dog I've ever had. I had to have him put down last April because he had an aggressive stomach tumour. I said goodbye just before the vet said he would begin to suffer greatly. A rescue dog, I'd had him for over 12 years.He was 13.

Several months later, I got another rescue dog. Major is a 2 year old Jack Russell. Distressingly energetic, destructive (loves shredding anything made from paper , wood, or plastic) -and scary smart. Not used to having a dog smarter than me.

He was apparently owned by an old lady, and was too much for her. That meant he was not trained, at all. I took him to a 6 week dog training course.I learned heaps. Him, not so much. He has improved slightly.

Overall, I think he's terrific! He's great company. Still hates me going out, but is just thrilled when I return. He demands, and gets ,a lot of attention. That suits me fine. He likes sleeping under the bed clothes, near my feet.

I can't imagine being without a dog. I also like cats, but not as much .Having a cat is like having a demanding guest, permanently..
My sympathy for the loss of your pit bull, and thank you for providing a home for the rescue!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-11-2019, 04:41 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,994,586 times
Ok, all you regulars out there, here is a blogpost worth reading, re dog behavior and genetics. I had to share!

It’s Not “All In How You Raise Them”: The Role Of Genetics In Behavior – Dr. Jen's Dog Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs