Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2019, 12:48 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

"Search" is a game we play with Dante. We hide something in the yard, give the command, and he will go find it (we've done it with people too).

We finally got to use it for something functional when we had a frog infestation in our garage. After he realized what we were looking for we gave the command "search" and found all their hiding spots, including up in the coils of the freezer.

I know, I'm a little obsessed with our dogs. /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 02:13 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
If the link works, it is an excellent example of the power of genetics for a dog's FUNCTION. Really cute!
Little pointers!
Holy-Moly, I love that! And the pups were in front of their mom, so they couldn't see what she was doing to mimic her

Those pups are going to be some high dollar bird dogs, I'll betcha

Old 04-29-2019, 12:42 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,997,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
"Search" is a game we play with Dante. We hide something in the yard, give the command, and he will go find it (we've done it with people too).

We finally got to use it for something functional when we had a frog infestation in our garage. After he realized what we were looking for we gave the command "search" and found all their hiding spots, including up in the coils of the freezer.

I know, I'm a little obsessed with our dogs. /lol

Cool! We have a radio finder on our cat, but the battery goes out. One of my dogs loves to follow, chase, and generally pester the cat. Which of course we've been putting the brakes on ever since we got her. But her desire has never gone away - so I started using her when I want to find the cat. She gets a little outlet for the drive, I don't have to go searching high and low for the cat! And since she has some outlet, she's learning (slowly) to behave more civilly when she finds the cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Holy-Moly, I love that! And the pups were in front of their mom, so they couldn't see what she was doing to mimic her

Those pups are going to be some high dollar bird dogs, I'll betcha
Yeah, I have to agree!

Old 05-05-2019, 07:49 PM

Tazzie is TRYING for death by dog, I can't believe how patient Dante and Steve have been.

She gets in their face barking, and Dante just gets confused, but Steve's hair (eventually) goes up, his tail goes stiff and he just walks away ignoring her. She was just trying to ACTUALLY bite Dante's back feet (she can't) and he just turned around and shoved her with his nose. She also eats from their bowls, and comes up when they are eating their evening "good" meal.

We are stopping her (well I do), I don't think it's right for to get to act rude just because she is small.

She doesn't speak dog. She goes home Tues.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
. . .

She doesn't speak dog. She goes home Tues.

Good luck until then!

Old 05-08-2019, 07:37 PM

Hiero, that's all kinds of awesome..... and I need to train my dogs better.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:41 AM

Yeah, thanks! I thought it was pretty cool, especially after Amy embarrassed me so badly 2 weeks back. It's just a start though - they need to get this one thing down 100% (well, SUPPOSED to be 100%, but that's always a bit like New Year's resolutions for me - fine in theory - really hard to achieve in reality). But I'm going to keep working with them on this one thing - on a short leash - for some while longer. It's in their "repertoire" - something they know how to do. Just that they've gotten to feeling "entitled" - they can pick and choose when to listen. If they are going to act like that, I can't take them off-leash.

BTW, I don't know why I posted that in your thread, and not here in the chat thread. Meh, whatever!

Old 05-10-2019, 02:52 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
My son doesn't like to walk Pensive. I can see him getting impatient and then irritated. If there are people around, you can't go 10 feet without someone asking about her.

It goes this way:

What a beautiful dog. Is that a hound/ hunting dog?

My son: She is a Bracco Italiano.

A What?

My son: A Bracco Italiano

What's that

My son: She is a bird dog.

What kind of bird dog?

my son: she is a Bracco Italiano.

Oh. She doesn't look like a bird dog. She's very pretty. My uncle has a hound.

My son: pained look on his face....

When I walk her, it goes like this

What a beautiful dog. Is that a hound / hunting dog?

Me: Thanks. Yes she is.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
. . .

What a beautiful dog. Is that a hound / hunting dog?

Me: Thanks. Yes she is.

lol I can't tell you how many years it took me to learn that little lesson! I still have to remind myself every once in a while!

Old 05-14-2019, 06:41 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,157 times
I've been working on his excitement when come home, making him sit after i come in the door before he gets any lovins. This weekend we had the inlaws over, he would get excited and run to the door barking, but he would sit when asked and wait impatiently. I took him for two walks yesterday, once in the morning, and in the evening. Both time he saw dogs and both time he'd only tug his leash a couple of times and kind of try to run towards them (usually when he sees another dog it's like trying to reel in a marlin)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs