Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:20 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times

Advertisements

i get frontline and interceptor from dr foster, I have been very happy with them. The
vet just calls it it when they get h.w. tested. I fould there prices to be better than the vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:21 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
[quote=teatime;4241362]Anyone else have a problem with their vet not agreeing to write a prescription or call so you can get the meds online? I have not found any vets in my former or current city here in Texas that will agree to do it. They all say something about it not being ethical, grrrr.

***My vet wrote a prescription but if I remember right, charged $5. It still was cheaper getting it online (can't rem. exactly where now). As someone else mentioned, we use Interceptor as it protects also against whipworms.

So, I order from the Australian companies that don't require a prescription from a vet here. (I learned about that through rescue. They buy from the Australian companies in bulk.)

***At one time we ordered from a co. in Australia but I believe they stopped shipping it overseas so we went elsewhere (in the US).

Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,022 times
I buy from Discount Pet Supplies & Medication Pharmacy Care RX

I have used them for a few years with no problems.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:52 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,103 times
I guess we are very fortunate with our vet here in Durham, NC. She is competitively priced with the online stores for Interceptor, and she is open to our ordering the meds online or buying them from her -- her aim is to be sure our pets are protected.

We moved to this area less than a year ago, so when we visited our vet for the first time this year, we asked her directly about purchasing Heartguard online. She said she goes online and reviews the prices every couple of months to make sure her price is inline with the prices available through the internet. Afterwards, at home, I began pricing these items online as well, and I found that our vet is less expensive than most of the online stores.

I have ordered items online through Drs. Foster & Smith, and they are very fast. I recommend them highly.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:03 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
I guess we are very fortunate with our vet here in Durham, NC. She is competitively priced with the online stores for Interceptor, and she is open to our ordering the meds online or buying them from her -- her aim is to be sure our pets are protected.

We moved to this area less than a year ago, so when we visited our vet for the first time this year, we asked her directly about purchasing Heartguard online. She said she goes online and reviews the prices every couple of months to make sure her price is inline with the prices available through the internet. Afterwards, at home, I began pricing these items online as well, and I found that our vet is less expensive than most of the online stores.

I have ordered items online through Drs. Foster & Smith, and they are very fast. I recommend them highly.
Your lucky that you have a vet that is more concerned with the pets opposed to making lots of money. My old vet was double what I pay online. When I told them this (they were asking me why I wasn't buying it from them) they told me that the ones online wasn't the same and my dog didn't have the same protection nor would the manufacture warranty it working if I didn't buy it through them.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM

[quote=Honeycrisp;4550925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Anyone else have a problem with their vet not agreeing to write a prescription or call so you can get the meds online? I have not found any vets in my former or current city here in Texas that will agree to do it. They all say something about it not being ethical, grrrr.

***My vet wrote a prescription but if I remember right, charged $5. It still was cheaper getting it online (can't rem. exactly where now). As someone else mentioned, we use Interceptor as it protects also against whipworms.

So, I order from the Australian companies that don't require a prescription from a vet here. (I learned about that through rescue. They buy from the Australian companies in bulk.)

***At one time we ordered from a co. in Australia but I believe they stopped shipping it overseas so we went elsewhere (in the US).
I did interview vets based on this, I go to the Doctor, and if I do need pills, it needs to go where my insurance is. One vet, based on a 5.00 fee I did not pick this vet. The reason, I pay for the test etc., if what I can afford, is
better elsewhere, why pay a fee. My way is they are not giving me, or
the pet a choice to get meds which I may afford. So if a vet does need a 5.00 extra profit, I donot need them! I have found dr Foster, to be pros
they buy more therefore make it cheaper for us, who want the best for pets, as a vet should. Oh, that extra 5.00 may mean the dog gets no treats for the month, so the vets earns more money? If the dog is once a year tested for heart worm dr foster does with the manufactor say it is ok.
who is doing the wool over who! call the manufacture and the online company and do ask! Yes, you do need the test, then you are fine! and get a note in your pets file which does need to be done anyway.

Last edited by maggiekate; 07-22-2008 at 09:16 PM..

Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I just did a search and found that PETSUPPLIES.NET had the cheapest (I bought frontline) This is a first time for me but it was recommended from this site- and I trust this site !
I found healthypets.com for frontline, anyway, now I stick with Dr Foster, except the frontline. but they have good prices now that we all are wise!

Old 07-25-2008, 06:17 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Default It's unethical for them NOT to write the perscription....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Anyone else have a problem with their vet not agreeing to write a prescription or call so you can get the meds online? I have not found any vets in my former or current city here in Texas that will agree to do it. They all say something about it not being ethical, grrrr.
interesting....

I just looked at the AMVA.org under their statement of ethics... It appears that according to the Veterinary Code of Ethics, they MUST give you that perscription....

Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics of the AVMA (http://www.avma.org/issues/policy/ethics.asp - broken link)

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-25-2008 at 06:32 AM..

Old 07-25-2008, 09:03 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Trying to find the safest heartworm meds for my dogs. Do not want to put them on hearguard plus. Is Interceptor safer? What is the difference between them all?

Old 07-26-2008, 11:58 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
I am getting all my 2 dogs med's, shampoo etc. online at Entirelypets.com.
Been shopping with them for years now, and can highly recommend them. Prompt service, excellent customer care and follow up via phone or e-mail.
Cost factor seems to be somewhat cheaper, in some things, compared to its competitors.
I also found that the vet's office is not the right place (unless you have a lot of money to spend) to get your dogs prescriptions filled, or to buy other items like food, shampoo etc.
The price difference is sometimes MIND BOGGELING ! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs