Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:25 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times

Advertisements

I posted a few weeks back about adopting a pup. She is doing the normal puppy things and I have given her a bunch of chew toys to use.

She seems overly interested in my two cats (Chairman Meow & Flea taxi). She wants to play with them and the cats allow her to bite the back of their necks a little bit and then they start swatting her away. The cats seem to instigate some of it and they won't move away from the pup. (Plenty of places they can go to get away)

I'm worried about the pups eyes with all the swatting going on. How do I discourage this biting? Right now I have to keep a constant watch on whats happening; I would like to discourage the pup somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 06:40 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,041 times
Well I would trim the cats front claws so as to prevent accidental damage. Other than that not sure.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:27 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Water bottle... Its Not the pup its the cats TRAIN them to leave the pup alone. Trimming their claws wont stop them from putting out an eye. Declawing will.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:33 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Water bottle... Its Not the pup its the cats TRAIN them to leave the pup alone. Trimming their claws wont stop them from putting out an eye. Declawing will.
Declawing is awful.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
So is loosing an EYE

Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
I disagree. Both species are acting accordingly, pup is curious and cats are being reactive to being constantly "attacked" by the pup.

Train the pup the "leave it" command and use it.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:06 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,709 times
"Leave it" followed by a hand clap or a loud "Eh" over and over again until all are on the same page. Don't leave them alone if leaving the house either.
They'll learn over time.
My cat knows "Eh" handclap from across the room.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:08 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I disagree. Both species are acting accordingly, pup is curious and cats are being reactive to being constantly "attacked" by the pup.

Train the pup the "leave it" command and use it.
I agree with teh above if you want to stop the play.

My late Jazz and my late cat Misha played very rough from the time Jazz came home as a small puppy. They would wrestle and Misha would be crying like the Jazz was killing her and smacking the puppy with claws in . But she did not leave when given the chance nor did she ever hit the dog with claws out. Misha was often the one that jumped Jazz and got the play started. This went on for the rest of the cats life. It was a game they both seemed to enjoy and the cat was careful where she hit the dog and the dog was careful too as often the cats head would be in the dogs mouth so I worried not only about the dogs eyes but the cats too. Visitors would freak when the dog would have the cats head in her mouth so I had to tell them it was ok that they were not hurting each other it was just their game.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:15 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
One scratch to the nose and the pup will learn to leave it. Are the cats older? Have they been around and played with dogs before? If the cats are not backing down and running away it sounds like they are at least putting up with pup. You will know if they are hissing mad and lashings out with claws out fully, the small puppy would back down and probably be crying a bit if injured. Cats can make it so their claws are only partially extended and give a warning shot if pup starts to get to be too much.

Declawing would be a mistake, it can actually make some more aggressive (biting) because they've lost their defense with claws

Old 04-22-2019, 02:28 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Declawing is a horrible suggestion. It won't teach anyone anything and teaching is what is needed here. The cats are already restraining themselves with the puppy. Everyone needs to learn to respect each other. Mutilation and chronic pain has no business being part of that.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-22-2019 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs