Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 02:55 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times

Advertisements

There have been discussions about Pedigree dog food on this forum as to it's quality nourishment, and mostly about what goes into making it.

Well some of you who buy other brands you feel are better, would do well to scroll to the near bottom of this link I am providing,(Mars Incorporated) and get a look at what company owes the brand of dog food that many purchase, not knowing it is the same company that produces Pedigree dog food.
The food formulas may be a little different, but you can bet some of these higher priced foods , coming from the same corporation, may well be no better than Pedigree, regardless of what their label says.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_Petfoods

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 08:12 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I read the ingredient list, and check sites like Dog Food Adviser. I don't really think it matters who owns the brand.

Because you mentioned it I looked up the ingredients of Pedigree, and yeah, not a good food.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times
I read the Pedigree info. I used to feed Kal Kan to the dogs years ago, and fed my dogs and plenty of rescue dogs Pedigree and they were fine with it. Dogs and cats from my school days did fine on Purina also. They lived to ripe old ages.

That said, I also use Dog Food Advisor. I look for real meat as the number one ingredient, along with lots of vegetables and not long chemical names you can’t pronounce, just like in our food. Pedigree is a decent maintenance food, and I like what they are doing for homeless dogs, but if you can go better, why not.

I do feed Pedigree canned though. There is no Petsmart close by, and for convenience, I mix up canned foods for the big dogs from the grocery, although they get quality dry foods like Blue. Recently, I made a special trip to Petsmart and bought the big dogs some expensive canned foods. They loved the fancy food a lot more than cans of Pedigree and Purine One from the grocery. Bottom line, dogs get tired of eating the same food, especially average. Try giving them something special and see how they react.

Last edited by Taz22; 04-24-2019 at 09:53 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 11:53 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times
The point I was making in the original post was to click on the link, and go to the bottom of the page to see what other dog food are made by the same company that makes Pedigree.
It is the large blue area with the words "Mars Corporate" in the header.
There is a heading on the left of the blue area that says
Petfood", then to the right of that it shows the name of many high end dog foods that are made by the Mars Corporation, the same company that makes Pedigree.

Bob.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:19 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The point I was making in the original post was to click on the link, and go to the bottom of the page to see what other dog food are made by the same company that makes Pedigree.
Petfood", then to the right of that it shows the name of many high end dog foods that are made by the Mars Corporation, the same company that makes Pedigree.

Bob.
Just because the Mars corp at some level makes other brands does not mean the formulations, ingredients, sources for the raw ingredients, or the how strict their handling measures are happen to be the same. Anyone can assume the stuff is the same or assume the stuff isn't. You'd still need to check the ingredients list for each food and follow those threads to the origin of the ingredients to really know either way. FWIW, the brands I feed my dogs don't appear on these lists anyway.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-25-2019 at 12:31 AM..

Old 04-25-2019, 04:49 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Just because the Mars corp at some level makes other brands does not mean the formulations, ingredients, sources for the raw ingredients, or the how strict their handling measures are happen to be the same. Anyone can assume the stuff is the same or assume the stuff isn't. You'd still need to check the ingredients list for each food and follow those threads to the origin of the ingredients to really know either way. FWIW, the brands I feed my dogs don't appear on these lists anyway.
That might be debatable to some extent

For example Purina has their name on a ton of stuff --- including livestock feed --- which horses ARE livestock in spite of how many of us feel about our horses

Horses cannot eat cattle feed due to the monensin (sp?) that's in cattle feed, yet there ARE plants that make cattle feed on THIS end of the lot and horse feed on THAT end of the lot (also there are instances where Purina does NOT own the processing plants.

All one has to do is Google to get more hits than should exist regarding horses suffering an agonizing death due to monensin somehow getting into their feed at the manufacturing site(s).

While this^^^^ isn't quite exactly what the Op was talking about, it is along the same lines so I appreciate the effort

FWIW, the OP did get me to go digging. I feed TOTW to my dogs and cats. It is MADE by Diamond (I hope that's a good thing) and owned by Schell and Kampeter, Inc, a U.S. Based company.

FWIW #2: I haven't fed Purina for years and won't. I don't like their feed formulas for metabolic horses. For all the money they profess to spend on research, their products for metabolic horses are not conducive to helping the horse keep its insulin levels down. I buy what I need on-line from a reputable company

Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
I did as you suggested, none of the ones I saw were top foods, utilitarian and grocery store brands.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:02 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
I think it's good to know who the parent company is so you can make informed decisions.

My dogs at Orijen for years because I trusted the small company that owned it, they sold to Purina in the past year so now my dogs eat food from a new small company that I trust.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:14 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
So what? Just because one company owns many brands that doesn't mean the ingredients in all the kibbles are the same. different grades are made in all sorts of manufactured products. More expensive kibbles with more expensive ingredients, cheap frozen pizza with cheap ingredients, more expensive frozen pizza with more expensive ingredients. Better more expensive lawn mowers of the exact same brand and lower cost models made not so sturdy...

Just because Mars makes dog food does not mean the dog food has the same ingredients or nutrition as a candy bar.

read the label before deciding on what kibble to buy.

There are only a couple of dog food manufacturing factories. They make the kibble for almost all the different brands. That doesn't mean all the kibbles are the same. Whatever dog food they are manufacturing, they use that company's recipe. When that run is finished, they clean up the equipment and run a batch with a different recipe for a different brand.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:46 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

There are only a couple of dog food manufacturing factories. They make the kibble for almost all the different brands. That doesn't mean all the kibbles are the same. Whatever dog food they are manufacturing, they use that company's recipe.

When that run is finished, they clean up the equipment and run a batch with a different recipe for a different brand.
Annnnd that's what I have an issue with -- the business of cleaning up as per the Standards that have been laid out but likely not followed to the letter

1. I am disheartened to know there are only a couple of dog food manufacturing factories!?!? That's it!?!? For all the dogs and dog food we buy in the U.S.!?!? I can say better than that for the horse industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs