Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 12:31 PM

603 posts, read 445,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
1 mg of melatonin per 20 lbs of bodyweight up to 3 mg total for dogs 60-90 lbs. Giant breeds 100lbs+ can have up to a total of 6 mg.
Give at first sign of storm, or before sunset for days when fireworks are expected.
No side effects. Safe for dogs. Doesnt knock them out like xanax or other prescription drugs.
You can buy in the supplement aisle at grocery or drug stores. Be aware that stores sell 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 mg bottles and they all look similar.

If you choose to use Melatonin for your dog make sure that you choose a brand without xylitol, which is poisonous to dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 04:29 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
She won’t stop is the thing.

The only crate I have found that works for desperate escape artists is the Kennel Aire black professional crate. I had a dog who chewed through the "window" bars on 2 airline type crates, injuring his mouth. The regular wire crates did not stop him. He figured out how to open them. But the small squares on the Kennel Aire crates stopped him. I hope they are still available.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:36 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
My rescue dog, who has general anxiety and fear of thunderstorms, has been on a paxil antidepressent generic prescribed by our vet for a year. this medication has helped her anxiety immensely. the daily pill is inexpensive; it costs only $5 a month at Sam's Club. the drug has not made her "drugged". In fact, she is happier as evidenced by her increased interest in playing, eating, and being petted. she is not only less terrified during storms, she is much more interactive with us since about a month after she began taking the drug.

the drug isn't a cure. she still gets scared and anxious with thunder, but no longer gets frantic, paces, or drools in terror. she now will seek us out and lay beside us when the rain starts. I should have started her on the drug two years earlier, honestly. I wish I hadn't let her suffer for so long.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-12-2019 at 04:57 PM..

Old 05-12-2019, 05:28 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
The only crate I have found that works for desperate escape artists is the Kennel Aire black professional crate. I had a dog who chewed through the "window" bars on 2 airline type crates, injuring his mouth. The regular wire crates did not stop him. He figured out how to open them. But the small squares on the Kennel Aire crates stopped him. I hope they are still available.
With the wire crate she would scoot it across the floor get ahold of the bedspread pull just enough of it to pull into the crate and wedge the door open. She was able to scoot the plastic crate across the floor but wasn’t able to get out of it. But she was panting heavily and breathing hard.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:23 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
With the wire crate she would scoot it across the floor get ahold of the bedspread pull just enough of it to pull into the crate and wedge the door open. She was able to scoot the plastic crate across the floor but wasn’t able to get out of it. But she was panting heavily and breathing hard.

Interesting. I guess that was why my dog pulled his bed into the regular wire crate and got it wedged tightly into the back bars the day he knocked the back wall of it down. Clever, aren't they?

Old 05-14-2019, 12:17 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I adopted an older (8 years old) dog 3 years ago who has the worst thunderphobia I've ever seen -- and I was a dog trainer for 25+ years. I tried everything -- conditioning, training, thundershirt, edible calming meds -- but nothing worked. So I asked my vet for Alprazolam (generic Xanax). i give her 2.5 mg (she weighs 90 pounds) an hour or so before the storm hits. It calms her tremendously without putting her to sleep. It's been a godsend for her.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:41 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Interesting. I guess that was why my dog pulled his bed into the regular wire crate and got it wedged tightly into the back bars the day he knocked the back wall of it down. Clever, aren't they?
Very smart lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs