Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,347 times

Advertisements

I recently rescued a min pin / dachshund mix and have been struggling with the heartgard medication dosage amount. She is 25.2 pounds. For the last three months I have been purchasing single dose applications of the med while keeping her on a weight loss diet in the hopes I can get her under 25 pounds. I have restricted her food to 1/2 cup a day and she goes for a walk everyday. She just doesn't seem to lose the couple of ounces the vet would like to see her at. I cant see giving her any less food than what she gets now. My question is, the weight /dosage threshold is up to 25 pounds, and then 26-50 pounds. The vet has been giving her the larger dose. I keep feeling like the amount of heartgard given is just too much for her. Does anyone know for certain that I can give her the lower dosage and it adequately protect her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 06:07 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lperry414 View Post
...while keeping her on a weight loss diet in the hopes I can get her under 25 pounds.
I have restricted her food to 1/2 cup a day and she goes for a walk everyday
She just doesn't seem to lose the couple of ounces the vet would like to see her at.
She needs more exercise than that.
As to medication dosage... what has the VET said about the amount?

Old 07-14-2019, 06:43 PM

6,451 posts, read 6,603,157 times
Quote:
I recently rescued a min pin / dachshund mix and have been struggling with the heartgard medication dosage amount. She is 25.2 pounds. For the last three months I have been purchasing single dose applications of the med while keeping her on a weight loss diet in the hopes I can get her under 25 pounds. I have restricted her food to 1/2 cup a day and she goes for a walk everyday. She just doesn't seem to lose the couple of ounces the vet would like to see her at. I cant see giving her any less food than what she gets now. My question is, the weight /dosage threshold is up to 25 pounds, and then 26-50 pounds. The vet has been giving her the larger dose. I keep feeling like the amount of heartgard given is just too much for her. Does anyone know for certain that I can give her the lower dosage and it adequately protect her?
I can understand you wanting to go with the lower dose of heartworm med. I'm surprised your vet wouldn't let you round down from 25.2 pounds to an even 25. Or have you pushed the vet about the dosage?

A half cup of food per day sounds very low to me. The Maltese that we had until last summer was 11 pounds, and she ate 2/3 cup of food per day. I'll admit I don't know anything about your dog's breed.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:14 AM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
Have the Vet check her Thyroid.

Where do you Live? Is it a climate where Heartworms are really bad? Like Swamp area?

Old 07-15-2019, 01:58 PM

13,627 posts, read 12,242,954 times
Quote:

OBJECTIVELY, what difference do you think it would make. The pill doesn't know exactly what your dog weighs. If the dog is 24 lbs, 14 ounces or 25 lbs, 2 ounces, makes little difference. Similarly, it isn't as if your dog will suddenly be poisoned because it took a large dookie that morning.

OBJECTIVELY, why do you think the dose is too much?

Heartguard is Ivermectin and Pyrantel.

In the 25-50 lb heartguard dose, There are 0.136 MG of Ivermectin. Toxicity in a 25.2 lb dog would be 28 MGs of Ivermectin. That's over 200 pills.

The lethal dose of Pyrantel is 690 MG/kg....So for a dog the size if yours, that would be 67 tablets of heartguard at once, OR, giving her a heartworm tablet every day (as it can build toxicity.)

SUBJECTIVELY...I'm dealing with a dog that has heartworms as a foster. The penalty for missing isn't worth it. Injections right into the heart, etc...If your dog isn't having a reaction don't screw with the treatment recommended by the vet.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:35 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,408,019 times
2/10 of a pound? Before or after it sheds? Before or after it takes a dump?

Seems excessive to worry about such a small weight difference IMHO

Old 07-23-2019, 07:26 AM

49,962 posts, read 63,265,686 times
I have noticed that the dosage for my dog, who is 20.8#, is the over 20# dosage. It is not prescribed for his desired weight, which is more like 18#.

Incidentally, my dog had a “spell” or a type of seizure while on TriHeart which our vet says is very safe. None the less, our dog is on a topical now, and has not had an episode since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs