Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:24 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

I have never seen my dog act like this before.

I got up early to get my "special" cat's food ready for his breakfast, walked out of my room to start that, and saw my girl dog on her bed, standing on her hind legs, front paws on the wall, reaching and looking for something.

She proceeded to scan the walls, the ceiling, the front wall with the picture window, hopped off of her bed and walked along the wall, looking up and all over it, repeatedly, and then going back to her bed to continue looking for whatever it is that has caught her attention.

I went and got my old phone (the better one is charging) to see if I could capture any of this weird behavior on camera.

I got this little bit here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxdspSIckNI

I'm standing there wondering wth is she looking for? A bug? Something going on at the neighbor's house? Is she one of those dogs who can sense some problems with wires in the walls long before we can - are we going to have a house fire? Is there something crawling in the walls or ceiling, and if so, wth is it? Is she sensing something else like some crazy earthquake or something? WTH do you think you hear or sense, dog?!

However, once she knew that I was extremely interested in what she was searching for and noticed the "evil eye" camera, she decided to sit on her bed and stare forward into space. For minutes on end while I filmed her doing that - waiting for her to start her crazy searching again.

I decided that me being there meant she wasn't going to do it anymore out of embarrassment or whatever her problem was, so I set up my phone to record her, her bed, and that corner of the room. I walked into my bedroom and waited. But she is not a stupid dog, and proceeded to stare at the phone the entire time I was hiding in my bedroom hoping for great footage of her climbing the wall again.

I took the phone, went to my room to the computer, started loading the video I did get above, and she started barking. There wasn't anything outside that I saw out my bedroom window, so I got up and walked out of the room to where she was to see what she was barking at.

There she was again, looking all over the wall for something - pacing along the edge, looking up, trying to find something.

Got my phone again, and caught her as she was going back to her bed where she could get some height to help her search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx6cLxt_IU8

I don't know what the heck this is all about, and as I said, I've never seen her do this before - not here, not any other place I've ever lived.

Before I got that phone out to record, she was trying to climb the walls.

If it's something in the walls or ceiling, I can't figure out what it could be. We have gophers here - but they are underground, not in walls. Other than that, we have a lot of fricken spiders, but they don't tend to make noise, and besides, we've had plenty of run ins with those disgusting spawns of hell and she's never acted like this. Plenty of trees, can't imagine it would be birds. Maybe a cat - we do have strays here, but I can't hear anything.

Of course, I have an overactive imagination, so it doesn't take much to make my mind go to all sorts of crazy ideas - not that I believe in them, like ghosts, but it's still unsettling to watch this happen.

Should I put a glass to the wall to see if I can hear anything? Does that actually work? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 09:40 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
That is a dog looking or a fly! Or a moth or mosquito ... My dog gets very offended about flying insects in the house. They must be eliminated & it becomes her mission in life. She will run into walls, try to scramble up them, back flips, etc ...

Old 07-14-2019, 09:59 AM

No, it was not the same thing. I've seen them "look for flies" that they see buzzing around the room, every once in awhile. This was definitely not that.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:09 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
She watching the Light reflections.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:33 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You might have something inside the walls. Mouse maybe.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Really wish I would have caught her on camera when I first walked out and saw her, because it wasn't about chasing a bug, I looked for one all over the ceiling and the walls, it wasn't about light reflections. Some bugs and demon spawn do get into the house, they don't even care. The most they will do with a fly is if the fly flies in their face, they'll snap at it, but if the fly flies away, they no longer care. Light reflections happen all the time on the wall because I'm right next to one of the exits to the street, and they never show any interest in them. ("They" being both of my dogs.)

This was something totally different. It's not a response to something that happens all the time, or even on occasion. I've had this dog since 2010, she has never acted like this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You might have something inside the walls. Mouse maybe.
I'm pretty convinced it was something in the walls or the neighbors. I'm more convinced it's something in the walls because the neighbors are really quiet. The lady always says that she and her bf were loud, and I always tell her, "No you weren't. The only time I hear you is when we are outside talking, like right now. I never hear anything from your place."

Granted, dogs have better hearing, but those neighbors have been here for over a year and she's never reacted like that.

So, it's got to be something in the walls. But it's weird because it's never happened before. If there was some type of nest, you would think that she would have reacted before today. We've been here for 3 years, never seen her act like that.

It was a little freaky at first. I walked out, saw that, and half jokingly said: "Um....what are you seeing that I'm not seeing? Do you see dead people?"

You know how when your cat is lying there, sleeping, when all of a sudden they sit up and stare intensely at a spot on the wall, (usually right above your head) as if they are seeing something that we can't see? That is how my dog was acting, but she was trying to find a way in or through that wall - which unfortunately, I did not capture on video. The part that I did capture only shows her looking around at the same areas, over and over - and I even scanned up the wall to show that nothing was there. Oh, and like I said, in between those two videos, she was barking. When I walked out of my room, she was staring at the wall - so she had been barking at the fricken wall. She does not act like that with any bug or light.

Something was there - just don't know what, and it's never been there before.

I really hope it isn't some stray little animal - we do have stray cats here - that is stuck in there or something. That would suck!

Old 07-14-2019, 02:04 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
This could be true; I noticed my dog’s reaction to the sparkly party banners I used for my twins graduation party last month, when they cast reflections on the walls. Very similar.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:12 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I really hope it isn't some stray little animal - we do have stray cats here - that is stuck in there or something. That would suck!
If it was something as large as a cat, raccoon, opossum, rat, cavity-nesting bird you'd probably be hearing it too. Depending on the structure, you might hear a very active mouse or bats. Take a walk around the outside of the house and check the eaves, stem wall, siding, etc. You might find clues.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:35 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Mosquito? Could be anything. Dogs are weird. I wouldn't let it freak you out unless it persists

Old 07-14-2019, 07:40 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
GHOSTS! Your place is Haunted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs