U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 AM

5,503 posts, read 14,075,332 times

Advertisements

In the early years that I had my dog we got shots at Petco and my dog developed a large lump that turned into a cyst in that area. She had that lump all her life....
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 03:46 PM

4,356 posts, read 8,588,773 times
I have to take my Lyla to the vet on Monday. She was at the emergency vet and got four shots last week. She now has a huge lump the size of a big walnut where she got an injection. I would assume she has an infection there. It is very tender and bothers her.
After reading all your posts, maybe I figured it out. She had the lump (right side top of leg) when I got her rabies shot (front shoulder) the other day, but since that shot that lump got much bigger.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:06 AM

970 posts, read 1,640,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
In the early years that I had my dog we got shots at Petco and my dog developed a large lump that turned into a cyst in that area. She had that lump all her life....
My dog has a cyst where he used to get his shots. The vet says it's an oily cyst. It has gotten huge. I don't know if it's related to the shots or not, but I think it could be.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 AM

947 posts, read 2,002,844 times
Do others think that we "over" vaccinate...???

At the least I think that the amount per shot is too great. Big dog or small, the same amount is given. Vets definitely do Not tell you enough regarding the shot, side effects, reactions and future problems. Do they know? Do they just want to think that we are all doing the right thing regardless of a side effect that may occur or a dog that is 5 lbs or an old old dog... Do they really not know of the possible consequences. They never seem to tell us vital info, then we find out on our own when are dogs get sick, as a few of you have just mentioned.
Grrr, I just do not think that the majority of the vets out there these days really care about our pets, and care more about the money that they get to put in their pockect, this is so sad for our babies.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:55 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,186,878 times
I don't know if it's a midwest area issue, since our friends in Missouri had this problem also & they have 2 shih tzu's also. They took their dog at the time to the emergency vet clinic, which cost BIG BUCKS just to walk in the door. They also received benedryl shots.

I don't know about little dogs... we have BIG DOGS 90 pounnds to 130 pounds. Whenever our dogs need benedryl for allergies... we have plenty of the generic benedryl on hand.
Benedryl does not effect dogs like it does people. Our one Rotty has allergy issues where he licks & licks his feet, we give him 3 or 4 generic benehryl & it works in an hour he stops the constant licking.

I say ask your vet 1st thing. Every dog is different.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,728 times
just an update. my puppy has parvo....its been 7days now and hes still hanging in there....

Old 02-11-2009, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 11,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston103076 View Post
i have a 10 week boston terrier.He recieved his 2nd set of shots 2 days ago. he is still sleeping alot. he is very lethargic and is not eating. he is even vomiting a little. Is this normal and when should he feel better. Should I take him back to the vet?
just an update my puppy has parvo its been 7 days and he is still hanging in there...hoping for the best.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:04 PM

3,730 posts, read 8,181,101 times
Oh, I'm so sorry. Is he being treated at the vets or is he home with you? Any idea how he came down w/ parvo, have you been in touch w/ the breeder? Best of luck to you and your pup.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:09 PM

3,730 posts, read 8,181,101 times
I do think many dogs are overvaccinated. The vet can always run titers to see if they have enough immunity. Unfortunately though, that's very pricey as we found out when we wanted to avoid a rabies shot for my girl who's up there in years and while she's had no rabies reactions, neither did my other girl but she did last time (fortunately she was OK after being taken back to the vet after a couple hrs home when we noticed). Bottom line, the rabies shot w/h/b free and the titers were $$ but I just didnt want to chance it (and luckily, she had enough immunity).

Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 16,647 times
One of my Miniature Schnauzers has a reaction to the rabies vaccine- large lump at injection site and lethargy. After the first time it happened I called the vet and they told me to give him a Benadryl (25 mg). The following year they told me to give him a Benadryl before the appointment and he didn't have a reaction- I do that everytime he gets a rabies vaccine now and he does great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs