Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times

Advertisements

I have a Shih tzu who is just over a year old, actually I should say the dog owns me. Anyway, last time I took him in for shots he had a reaction. He become so tender that he would yelp if you touched him, he wouldn't move and was just miserable. I took him back to the vet, and he did give him a shot to help with the reaction, and the dog eventually snapped out of it. We talked to the original owner and he did the same thing with his first rabies shot. He is due for a 3-year rabies shot in June and I plan on asking the vet what we can do since he has reactions. I guess, I was just wondering if any of you have had problems with your dogs getting shots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 AM

452 posts, read 1,722,615 times
Our chi-chi did the same thing. Sore and a huge lump and lethargy. Small enough needles were hard for the vet to find at first..but we eventually stopped taking him for shots the last two years; his age seemed to make the side effects worse. Not rec. if your dog gets out and about!!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Check with your County laws as Rabies is a vaccine mandated by law.

Discuss things with your vet ahead of time. Many things can make a difference; using a small needle, Benadryl to offset an allergic reaction....

Old 04-17-2008, 09:55 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Can't remember the shot - not rabies shot ... I want to say distemper... but our dachsie had a reaction one time only, her face blew up like a balloon. Lasted about 3 hours then went down. Happened only once when she was a puppy though. Totally freaked me out.
Tell your vet for sure.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Thanks, I have planned to talk with the vet, hopefully he'll have an idea.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:10 PM

8 posts, read 45,157 times
I adopted my baby, Ditsey a Yorkie from somebody. The first time she got her shots, she vomited a little, but I didn't connect it to the shots. I know, bad Mommy, but I have never owned a dog before, only cats. When she got her booster, she vomited badly at the vet, with shakes and a slight fever. The vet said this was common with toy dogs and put a big red sticker on her shot records to let other vets know she has a bad reaction. He gave her a shot of Benadryl and kept her for 6 hours to watch her. When I got her back, the prescription was to give her children's Benadryl and to watch her closely. Because I'm in Italy, the Italian vet called hourly to check on her, and I mean hourly, through out the night! And had a tech on stand-by in case I had to bring her in. But, once I got her home and gave her the children's Benadryl for 12 hours, she was fine. She looked at me as if to ask...What's your problem and why do you keep bothering me!?!?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:07 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
The same thing happened to my dog the first time he had his shots-- the lethargy, nose swelling, vomiting and a lump around the injection site. I took him back in and the vet gave him a shot of Benadryl. The swelling started going down right away and the next day, he was fine.

Now, he gets a shot of Benadryl before the rabies shot and he's never had a problem since. I don't give him the rabies and 3-in-1 shots at the same time anymore, either, just to make sure. Maybe ask your vet if this is a good idea for you.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:12 PM

8 posts, read 45,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
The same thing happened to my dog the first time he had his shots-- the lethargy, nose swelling, vomiting and a lump around the injection site. I took him back in and the vet gave him a shot of Benadryl. The swelling started going down right away and the next day, he was fine.

Now, he gets a shot of Benadryl before the rabies shot and he's never had a problem since. I don't give him the rabies and 3-in-1 shots at the same time anymore, either, just to make sure. Maybe ask your vet if this is a good idea for you.

Do you also give the children's Benadryl? The vet said to give her this before shots, but the tech gave me a "look".

We'll be back in the States soon and the cat and dog will be given a thorough check up after we land. I'm used to cats, but as a first time dog provider (as somebody said, she owns me), I'm still learning. Europe doesn't give the shots that the States do, but military vets give the same requirements as the States.

My biggest worry is that she has had contact with European owned dogs.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
I didn't give my dog the Benadryl tablets. He didn't need them. The vet recommended I give him the shot before his rabies shots, and that prevents any reaction. So I don't know about the children's tablets.

I don't know why some dogs have reactions. My other dog would get the exact same shots on the same day and she didn't have a problem.

If the vet recommended the tabs, I'm sure they'll be fine.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:48 PM

I have heard of baby asprin but not benadryl, thanks guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs