Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:23 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I hate to throw everyone for a loop but Labs are a hunting retiever bred & so is the poodle...so in my brain this tells me that a doolle [what ever you call them] could still do what they were intended to do Hunt/retieve!!
What's a doodle???
Anyhoo, do you really believe the objective of the breeders crossing the Labs and the Poodles is really to create a super retriever? That seems like an awful lot of work to just produce another retriever!

Old 04-19-2008, 02:30 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Nope...But thats the flip side of this!! hahaha
No more than cockerpoos became super retievers...some how crossing looses something in the mix.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:30 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
I'm just glad no one is mixing Bulldogs and Shi-Tzus, what a superbreed that would be!!

Old 04-19-2008, 07:00 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,490 times
We are not talking about the samething here. Again, I am against random crossbreeding. But all current breeds are coming from guided hybrid breeding. Not all hybrids are bad.

If everyone wants to voice their opinion against puppy mill and backyard breeding, please feel free to do so. I just think using ridicule on a discussion thread is not going to solve the problem. If that makes you feel better, then do it.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:08 PM

No they just breaking the ice....things were getting a bit tense.
But Lingling [or anyone] You been wanting 1 of these 'breeds' you have talked to the people breeding these dogs....So what is the reason for this mixture? What do these people have in mind? And as a phd in genics what do you think the out come will be?

Old 04-19-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
No they just breaking the ice....things were getting a bit tense.
But Lingling [or anyone] You been wanting 1 of these 'breeds' you have talked to the people breeding these dogs....So what is the reason for this mixture? What do these people have in mind? And as a phd in genics what do you think the out come will be?
I have never been interested in a goldendoodle that much until I saw so many aggressive and insulting comment about them. Yes. I do have several neighbors that have them. All of them are nice dogs. The main reason of my neighbor to use a goldendoodle is that they don't shed. Her golden doodle is a therapy dog and targets patients that have abnormal immunosystem in our hospital. And yes, I sometime bring the dog to the hospital. My friend wants to help those patients with immunodeficiency because she loss her daughter due to the disease. The hospital will only allow non shedding dogs. She bought a high quality shih-tzu first but the shih-tzu somehow doesn’t like the human touch. She decided to give this golden doodle a try. The golden doodle is a spectacular dog. My GSD shed too much. Although she finally got her certificate. The hospital doesn’t allow her in.
I don’t really have a preference of any breed. All these dogs are good dogs. When I saw so many negative comments about the goldendoodle, it makes feel sad that they were attacked like that by someone who seems have never had them. I decide to look into myself and make my own judgment. This is one of the many reasons I decide to choose the mutt. After this thread, I am even more determined to find out what is going on. Everyone around me knows that they are mutts. I have never considered a Golden doodle as a breed. The outcome of breeding them is unpredictable. You may get some more look like a poodle or some more look like a golden.
However, when a dog became popular, the backyard breeder tends to jump in and do a master production. When this happens, the dog (pure or mixed) will have health problems.
When you cross a healthy poodle and a health golden of similar size, the puppies are usually healthy. Genetic diseases are usually carried by recessive genetic markers (if they are dominant, the species will not survive). If one dog has problems A and B and another dog has problems C and D, the cross breeding between them will have puppies that have none of these problems because dominant good genes in both dogs are compensating for each other. The problem is not going to compound like someone has stated.
You may be right in against cross breeding. But using ridicule, removing my post and unscientific statement will only make you lose your creditability. And rest assured, if I find out by cross breeding a healthy poodle and a healthy golden, a higher rate of genetic problems will emerge. I will speak out. I am not going to be silenced by ridicule and the scaring statement. Of course, I know all the mods' position and I know they don't agree with me . I said what I said. You can remove it as you wish and agree with each other.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:38 PM

I dont have the power to deleate any one I dont want to be. That being said sounds like your friend got what she wanted...thats good. The only golden doodle I have meet was also a non shedder. Her owner & I got into a fight about it.....She said she was told that the dog would never need grooming like a poodle does & needless to say she took it for fact. The dog showed up for the obed class I was in a long haired matted mess! Needless to say I ended the argument over who was right /wrong...after all in her eyes I was not the dogs breeder.... I simply told her that IF she brought the dog to class the following week in that condition I would call the dog warden! The next week she shows up dog has been totally stripped down to the skin. I have had several reports that she takes the dog for reg grooming just like a poodle...I have also heard she thinking of selling the dog cause as I heard 'IF I wanted a dog that needed costly grooming all the time I would have just got a purebred poodle!' She told me she paid $1500 for the dog as a pup...when I saw the dog she was about 8 months old which would make her around 3 yrs now.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:52 PM

From what I am understanding you are saying [correct me if I am wrong] as long as the dogs are outcrossed, that is no close line breeding or inbreeding the breed will be sound.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:52 PM

531 posts, read 1,743,507 times
The one problem of getting a dog from a recue,is you may not know what it is. Suppose someone wants a small,hypoallergenic dog. If he/she gets a dog of unknown breeds he might get a poodle/schnauzer mix but that mix may also include a large breed that sheds a lot. Obviously,one can't always tell by looking at a puppy what it is. I am all for rescuing any animal,but if the person can only have a small dog (lives in an apartment) and has allergies,it would be more important to know all the breeds. That's why I can sort of understand the demand for "hybrid" dogs.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I dont have the power to deleate any one I dont want to be. That being said sounds like your friend got what she wanted...thats good. The only golden doodle I have meet was also a non shedder. Her owner & I got into a fight about it.....She said she was told that the dog would never need grooming like a poodle does & needless to say she took it for fact. The dog showed up for the obed class I was in a long haired matted mess! Needless to say I ended the argument over who was right /wrong...after all in her eyes I was not the dogs breeder.... I simply told her that IF she brought the dog to class the following week in that condition I would call the dog warden! The next week she shows up dog has been totally stripped down to the skin. I have had several reports that she takes the dog for reg grooming just like a poodle...I have also heard she thinking of selling the dog cause as I heard 'IF I wanted a dog that needed costly grooming all the time I would have just got a purebred poodle!' She told me she paid $1500 for the dog as a pup...when I saw the dog she was about 8 months old which would make her around 3 yrs now.
Thank you for not getting mad at me. Sorry for that dog. But that woman is not going to be a good owner for any dog. That breeder can lie about other breeds too. Sorry for being upset because my experience with the goldendoodles has been the positive one. And yes, today I spent half of my day with the goldendoodle in the hospital. Again, you may be right but i would like to find some answer by myself. The surgical center in our area now has a golden doodle in their reception area to meet/greet patient. I hear a lot of positive feedback. I am thinking about doing the samething for our practice since I have some experience in training a dog (of course, still need professional help). I can't have a small dog because my GSD may accidentally hurt the small one. So there are many reasons that I am looking into this specific mutt.

Here is a book about that kind of owner: The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family

Last edited by LingLing; 04-19-2008 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: add book recommendation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs