Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

app I can understand it to But I dont understand why pay these high prices? A purebred golden cost around $500 for a health pet/ same for a standard poodle. But people a paying $1500 for a cross bred dog & being told they are worth it cause its a new bred!! [I just dont get it....] You can contact any poodle rescue and get a mix poodle too if thats what you want for far less.... My feelings are if you want a cross bred dog great IF it will make you feel better paying more go to a rescue get the dog & donate the difference to the rescue or your fav charity tell everyone you paid more for the dog....sheesh

Old 04-19-2008, 07:19 PM

lingling ...may I ask where you live? You said a rescue turned you down cause you were too far away.....bet people on here could help you locate a nice poodle mix for your needs...if you let us

Oh I too am still interested in what going on in th goldendoodle world!!

Old 04-19-2008, 07:32 PM

Maybe these breeds would work too..

Dogs and Allergies

The following breeds generally do well with people with allergies:

Bedlington Terrier, Bichon Frise, Chinese Crested, Irish Water Spaniel

Kerry Blue Terrier, Maltese, Poodles
(Toy, Min, Std), Portuguese Water Dog

Schnauzers
(Min, Std, Giant) Soft Coated
Wheaten Terrier Xoloitzcuintli
(FSS Breed)

This list is based on breeds which usually produce less dander. The American Kennel Club does not recommend or endorse any specific breed, nor does it claim that the listed breeds will not affect people with allergies.

We do not have information that matches a breed to a specific lifestyle or individuals. The best thing to do is read about each breed in which you are interested and then contact the breeder referral person for each breed.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:47 PM

From a Poodle Rescue web site....

POODLE CLUB RESCUE & ADOPTION SUCCESSFUL RESCUES 2005 - 2007 SUCCESSFUL RESCUES 2001 - 2004 SUPPORTERS RESOURCES FOOD 4 THOUGHT EVENTS FUN ASPCA

RESCUE & ADOPTION

> Poodle Rescue
> FUND RAISER
> Available Now!
> Success Stories
> Ray
> Labradoodles
> CONTACT US

Doodles: Labradoodles, Goldendoodles

Is there any one who has not seen the newspaper advertisements or television programs about the newest designer mixed breeds?

People constantly ask my opinion about the latest in a long line of Poodle mixes.

This is what I tell them: There is nothing that any breed can add to a poodle to improve it.

If people did not think that Poodles were wonderful they would not be trying to improve their own breeds by making cockapoos, peek-a-poos, malti-poos, Shih Tzu-poos, Schnauzer-poos, Pom-a-poos, and the latest---Labradoodles and Goldendoodles.

Any breed mixed with a Poodle, only compromises the things we love about our breed. In most cases the puppies resulting from these cross breedings are no longer hypo-allergenic, dander-less and non shedding. You don’t know what to expect with regard to the temperament, genetic health concerns, longevity, coat care or size. And to top it all off, you have probably paid top dollar for your new mongrel.

You cannot enter an AKC show either in conformation, obedience, Agility or any other form of AKC competition. Your puppy cannot be registered as a breed and should not be used for breeding.

Labradoodles are already showing up in your local shelters and will no doubt be followed shortly by the Goldendoodles. Cockapoos and other poos have been there for years.

I have already declined the “opportunity” to use my stud on a Labrador or Golden Retriever ***** and have also refused to sell a ***** to be used for breeding to a Lab or Golden stud. All the more reason to sell your pet puppies spayed or neutered.

Madeline Patterson

President, Poodle Club of Southern California

Poodle Rescue

Peggy McDill, Espree Poodles writes:

I think the important points were covered by Madeline's post. Additionally,
this is simply a spontaneous, impulse purchase designed to attract the
folks that need to own the newest and the greatest. Few [labradoodles] are nonshedding. Few have manageable temperament.

Most are bred from the bottom of the gene pool as responsible breeders of poodles, labs and goldens want nothing to do with this particular group of opportunists.

Just my opinion,

Peggy McDill

The webmaster adds:

STILL think you want a labradoodle, goldendoodle or any other doodle?

Well, did you know that poodles are NOT whimps or frou-frou dogs?

They are the original retriever, a 'real' dog, they are intelligent athletes who are definitely non shedding and hypo allergenic.

Why not get a poodle and leave the face shaggy? Just because you have a poodle doesn't mean you have to shave/cut/trim it like a traditional poodle?

When you go to a reputable breeder for a poodle puppy - or Poodle Rescue - you will know EXACTLY what you are going to end up with.

You will not be taking a chance, guessing at the dog's final size or left wondering if the dog will shed, or not.

Lesley Cooper (Arizona) writes:

The "doodle" conversation comes up everywhere I go, and I definitely side with Madeleine's opinion about the poodle being a complete package "as is"

My Vet asked me two weeks ago if I was aware of this new craze to breed poodle mixes as he had one in that day for spay surgery (thank goodness!) It was a labradoodle, a lady in the post office behind me on another occasion had a goldendoodle.

These mixes have been featured in local papers and owned by people who are singing their praises.

My Vet friend, Kerri, is seeing them in her practice and cannot believe that people are "bragging" that they paid $1000.00 for their very special "rare" dog, she kindly assures them that it is a mixed breed. If she is asked for an opinion about such a mix, she very definitely steers them to the local rescue organizations and Humane Society to look for a special "mix" that they are bound to find, as she herself has.

Poodles stand alone as a perfect dog, when people challenge me about the amount of grooming they require I have a few responses:

All popular dogs such as Goldens, Spaniels, Poodle Mixes, Schnauzers, PWDs and Border Terriers to name a few, all require intimate grooming, ears cleaned, coats trimmed, feet and nails regularly trimmed, debris removed from leg hair etc., a poodle is no different except that the coat does not shed and requires trimming.

The trim is a matter of choice, you can pay to have a pro do it 6 times a year, more if you wish, or you can opt to choose a closely sheared dog and learn to remove the excess hair yourself. All dogs deserve to have grooming attention, poodles are people dogs and enjoy being cleaned and groomed and it is not a major chore to make a commitment to clean them, or choose to pay to have them cleaned......YOU elect to choose where you spend your money for hobbies, treats and personal spending. I choose to pay to have my dogs scissor groomed regularly, and bathe, brush and attend to them frequently myself as I would any breed.

There are not many poodle owners amongst my friends in the agility community here, most have already aligned with their breed of choice and are loyal and well versed about their reasons for staying with their choices, however, they are constantly surprised by my poodles who are real dogs who do the same things their dogs do...lure coursing, herding, flyball, agility and obedience, are friendly, sweet cuddly and good team players, and I am considered "lucky" because my dogs don't shed!!!!!

I observe the amount of time and effort it takes to maintain, groom and train the Irish Setters and Goldens of two of my closest friends, and I have to admit they spend far more time on the tasks than I. I'll never under estimate the true fact that poodle hair needs to be cared for properly, but you will not find it spread all over the house and car, the cost of keeping a poodle groomed is a bargain when you consider the time, cost and effort of cleaning up after canines who shed their coats and slobber non-stop on the property of their people.

Large poodle mixes are going to be a nightmare for people who do not understand that a cross is not naturally a guarantee a perfect mix of both breeds. Hopefully many will be well loved mutts with good doggy traits, but I believe that we'll see many large unruly woolly, matted dogs end up in shelters. Let everyone get the word out...real poodles are they way to go!

In order to do my bit, I have two of mine trimmed mostly even coat all over, scissored head and legs and I am constantly told "Oh, I just love that "puppy cut" it makes them look like real dogs!" I can then happily make my case for enjoying the poodle for what a poodle is, not what a haircut will create. My poodle who is trimmed in a "modified Sporting Cut" gets all the "oohs and aahs" and people want to feel her coat and admire her as if she is something other than a poodle just like the other two, I again am left to explain that hair and grooming are choices and not the whole package.

I have lived with Poodles, mini and Standard, beagles, a Dalmatian, Papillion, Dachshund. My family have had wire haired terriers, Cairn terriers, Spaniels, German Shepherds, Aussies, mixed breeds and poodles all dogs I have known and loved well, but a poodle is absolutely the breed for me even though I have three now with totally different personalities and traits, they all have the core of a poodle.

Regards,

Lesley

Fax: 1 (805) 529-7340
POODLE RESCUE: Madeline: 1 (805) 529-7405 • Marie: 1 (805) 901-8696 • Heidi: 1 (805) 647 -6432
Email: [Phone call preferred!] Madeline: bradandmad@aol.com • Marie: marie@forearth.tv • Heidi: hhamilton3@adelphia.net
[We do NOT check our email every day but we do return phone calls every day!]

Do you have a poodle you need us to find a new home for?
If so please do NOT email - instead PHONE one of us!
Madeline: 1 (805) 529-7405 • Marie: 1 (805) 901-8696 • Heidi: 1 (805) 647 -6432

Copyright © 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Marie Bennett

Website design & hosting • Webmaster • Graphics

Sign In

Old 04-19-2008, 08:07 PM

Sorry the post are so long when I tried to shorted them I couldnt!! eeek

Old 04-19-2008, 08:10 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
From a Poodle Rescue web site.... Sign In
It is a poodle resuce site and their opinion is also extremely biased. Some of the statements are also misleading, such as the one "labradoodle do shed". Whether labradoodle shed or not depends on the way they bred. Again, they were talking about them as a new breed. I know they are mutt. They are talking about other cross breeds too but I have no experience with other cross breeds so I am not going to talk about them.
I want a dog that can match my GSD's energy and I don't want a small dog just for their safety (accident does happen when my GSD gets involved). I don't know about poodles. There are two in my neighborhood. My GSD doesn't like them. I have a friend at our dog club who breeds poodles. She almost fell out of her chair when I brought my friend's goldendoodle in our dog club. She has the same opinion as you. She does acknowledge that it is difficult to train a poodle to be a therapy dog and her poodle is a bit shy.
I don't mind rescue. I live in South Florida. And I am reading on how to select/train a therapy dog. Thank you!

Old 04-19-2008, 08:35 PM

I know a Poodle Breeder in my area...None of her dogs are shy or hard to train! 1 of her poolles 'Rosey' Is A UKC & AKC breed champion. She also does Theraphy with disable adults & kids! Rosey ...when I last saw her was 1 leg away from her Utility title [thats the top obed title after that you can work on obed ch] in both UKC & AKC this dog also has lots of agility titles!! Since you dont know much about poodles I'll quit!!
But on another note you keep stressing size...surely you dont think they are breeding the tiny minature & toy sizes to produce the doodle?? Poodle come in LARGE too! The STANDARD Size is 24 inches tall at the shoulder About the size of the German Shepard Dog [GSD??] It is also the size of Golden Ret & labadors, etc!! ok me stop now!!
So whats wrong with rescueing a Standard size poodle?

Old 04-19-2008, 08:52 PM

Maybe this will help....

Supports | West Palm/Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano/Stuart/East Coast South Florida| Florida Poodle Rescue, Call (727) 898-5114

Old 04-19-2008, 10:24 PM

531 posts, read 1,743,507 times
Poodles are pretty dogs and quite intelligent. I guess the reason I didn't have as good an opinion of them is the few I have been exposed to have been snappish and unfriendly with anyone not in the immediate family. I realize this may be due to poor breeding or not raising them well,and any breed can be this way. Unfortunately the breeds I most like (Pugs and Boston Terrier) shed a lot ,and due to allergies,I can't get. I have considered a poodle mix or terrier mix though. I think schnauzers are cute and bright dogs (my aunt had one) but they can be snappish as well.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
I find that small dogs are generally more snappy than the medium to large dogs. *But* I will also put that down to the fact that (most) people I know spoil the living heck outta their small dogs and they rule the roost there, plain and simple.

I do generally lump small dogs into the yappy and snappy category, but I know I shouldnt. THey can be great dogs too when they are put at the bottom of the household pecking order. I think people are cracy to actually pay more than a neutering / adoption free for a mixed breed. I do agree with nominal fees $20 from people who had "accidents" with their dogs as it generally brings people in who are a big more serious. Laobradoodes and co are fashionable right now, like a pravda bag I think itll wear off when the next fashionable dogs come around. I have seen "Bullhounds" in England too that people are paying craxy money for, a Staffie Bull / Greyhound mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs