Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times

Advertisements

This is a pet peeve of mine. And there is a lot of controversy about these dogs . So I thought that I would start this thread so all sides could talk about it with out attaching others.
As a exbreeder and a mutt lover I myself have mixed [excused the pun] feelings about this.
Breeder side feels that it is wrong... & I have found that breeders that do this have 1 dogs that are not up to the standards of their breed either in health or confermation. 2 So they are breeding 2 dogs of different breeds just to make money. 3 Buyers are paying top dollar for dogs they are convinced a a NEW Breed...supose to be heather than a purebred But are ending up with nightmares of vet bills, bad temperment. Dogs that are unhealthy mutts.
A breeding from 2 dogs that are healthy & within standards of their breeds are bred only from dogs in their same bred. IF by accident 2 different breeds do mate a good breeder will give them away on a spay contract. People end up with a healthy dog that is still a mix mutt!!!
Now the mutt lover tells me if you want a mutt save a life....Breed rescues get not just purebreds but mixes of their breed. Pounds & humare Socities are full of dogs needing homes...
IF you still want that newest craze the hybrid...DO YOUR HOMEWORK...be just as insistance as you would for a purebred. Read a lot about the 2 breeds you are interested in...find out what ALL the health faults are in the parents for the breed. IF the breeder can not prove to you that the parents have no health problems or major confermation problems then you Might get a healthy dog at least but maybe the funnest looking dog on the block!!
And watch the parents temperment....Looks well thats going to be the luck of the draw...as will grooming & everything else JUST LIKE ANY MUTT IN THE POUND!!!!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 05:28 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,396 times
Temperment would be my big concern. Like my bloodhounds are sweet great natured but if crossbreed all temperment is lost.
If want designer dog go to pound get a mutt cheaper and better than what you buy from these puppy mill breeders out to make quick cash.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:25 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,572 times
I agree. With amounts of homeless dog, overpopulated shelters, etc, it's just simply selfish to produce another dog just to make money.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:30 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,626 times
I concur with ShepMom! Don't get me started on all the genetic defects these "pure breeds" are passing along. I recently read up on the Bermese Mountain dogs and they are only living 6-8 years due to a cancer gene defect that has been overly bred into them by dogs that should have never been bred. So sad, although this is only one example.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:16 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
I concur with ShepMom! Don't get me started on all the genetic defects these "pure breeds" are passing along.
Do you think these breeds need to improve somehow? In order to improve, good genes will have to be borrowed from us or other dogs? I have to go and will continue tonight. I think it is a very complicated issue.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,626 times
I was simply stating that in my opinion why do we need to continue to have ample amount of people feeling as if they are contributing "pure breeds" or "hybrids" to the world for the sake of a dollar. I think the quality and health of these babies are compromised for earning income.

You have to understand I have been slighted...I live in Oklahoma, which as many know is the second leading state for puppymills. I see "breeders" peddling puppies out of the trunk of their cars on street corners left and right. There is even one guy in the area that carries a wish list and will get you the puppy of your dreams...by the way he also take credit cards for payment while standing on the corner selling his dogs.

I've walked up to these "breeders" asked for their sellers permit and their breeders license and they admit to not having either. They knowingly are breaking the law just to make their income. Hmm...what else are they being deceptive about? Typically, these folks are making their only income by breeding dogs. Where I live happens to be a nice area so all the breeders come here in hopes of getting top dollar. My neighbor took (did not pay for) a lab puppy that was going to be dropped off at the city shelter b/c it didn't sell that day and the "breeders" didn't want to make the 3 hour drive home with it. These animals are seen as profits not as living creatures. Again...in my slighted opinion.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:56 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
oooh boy, where do I start! first off, I believe there's nothing wrong w/ creating a new breed SO LONG as there is a purpose or a niche that needs to be filled. the original Labradoodle breeder had a good idea, but it ultimately failed b/c the results were just to mixed (breeding a non shedding, hypoallergenic breed to one know for being a heavy shedder will do that). a lot of breeders are breeding wolves back into certain GSD lines to alleviate the hip dysplasia issues this breed always seems to have, and I remember hearing that some ranchers and herders are mixing breeds b/c breeds like the Border Collie have either lost their working instinct or have become too neurotic. so in those cases, I can kind of see why new breeds would be created (though, honestly, there are so many breeds out there, that it may just be easier to import a little known, barely corrupted breed from overseas)

now, a lot of these mixes make no senses what so ever. people seem to think any and every poodle mix is going to be non shedding (look in some shelters and you'll see a few of these "poo dogs" surrendered when it was discovered these dogs weren't hypoallergenic). and whose bright idea was it to mix a smooshed faced breed known for breathing problems like the pug w/ a high energy breed like the beagle? they look cute, but chances are, you'll end up w/ a dog that encompasses all the bad things about both breeds (a energetic, baying, 20lb puggle w/ breathing problems). oh, and mixing a large dog w/ a small dog doesn't guarantee you a small dog (where are all these "teacup" puggles coming from? the pug averages around 15-20lbs and beagles weigh even more. how the heck can a puggle be under 10lbs?)

lastly, hybrid vigor is a myth, to a degree. you need generations of diluting the purebred genes in order for it to really show. and mixing two breeds known for hip dysplasia (for example) will not produce a hybrid magically void of any hip issues; if anything, it just compounds the issue and makes it worse

at this point, I doubt many people are breeding these hybrids to create a new, useful breed, or to improve on the dog population overall; now they're just doing it for the money. they tack on cutsy, portmanteaus as names, calling these dogs "labradoodles", and "chipoo" and "chiweenie" and other "poo" names, and neglect to mention that these dogs, a few years ago, were all called MUTTS, MIXED BREEDS, and MONGRELS. a lot of the people that buy these dogs fall into the ruse, lashing out at people who says their puggle/schnoodle/bug is just a mutt. a breed is not a breed unless it breeds true, unless the offspring displays the same characteristics as the parents. two poodles will create poodles, two labs will create labs, a lab and a poodle will create a mutt that will either look like a lab, a poodle, or some mix of the two, and those mutts will create offspring that may barely resemble a lab, poodle, or the parents themselves.

ETA: one last thing: maybe I'm wrong, but I SWEAR that, in the years since these dogs have become popular, the term "hybrid" has changed in definition. I seem to remember the word hybrid only applying to offspring of two different species (ie, horse+donkey=mule, lion+tiger=liger). all breeds of dogs are w/in the same species, so I don't consider these real hybrids (w/ the exception of breeds like the Saarloos wolfhound, which is a dog/wolf hybrid). I will, for now and ever, never call a pug/beagle mix a "puggle" or use any of those names for these "hybrids". these names are just brand names, IMO (a coke and a Pepsi are basically the same thing w/ different names; a lab/poodle mix and a labradoodle are the same thing, just that one has a recognizable brand name and one doesn't)

whew, sorry for the long tirade, I'm just getting sick of seeing all these mutts being mass produced for profit when the mutts w/o the cute names are dieing by the thousands every day

Last edited by eevee; 04-18-2008 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-18-2008, 11:03 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,572 times
I like your post eevee, well stated!

A mutt is a mutt, no matter how you call it otherwise. Do us all a favor and adopt one from the shelter!

Dogs were bread to preform some type of work, that was the main reason to have a dog in a first place.
Now, we have dogs as companions, and they are losing their natural instincts for what their were originally bred to do.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:42 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Long ...short...anything goes here. Funny I really thought people that paid the high dollar would chime in....maybe soon as this thread is new!!

Old 04-18-2008, 03:29 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,073 times
Sorry. I was in a hurry in the morning and didn't read OP carefully. I thought she was talking about Hybrid dogs for a genetic term. It turns out that everyone is talking about puppy mill and backyard breeders. I didn't have any experience with them. From eveything I learn, they are all bad and greedy and no good for purebreed and mix breed dogs.

Well, I still love doodle. I love all the doodles I have met and can't find one in the shelter. I love doodle not because of their high price or fashion. I love them because they are all good dogs (at least the ones I met). Yes, I have kept my eye on local shelters and website from resuce organizations to find a pet dog. My GSD always looks so happy (doing her puppy dance ) when we have another dog in our home, especially a doodle or a pit (her best friend). We are looking to find one that will get along with my GSD. Tried a beautiful pit but he just wanted to kill my GSD (he was so sweet when he was in the shelter. The staff took him to our home and all he wanted to do is to fight. Scared eveyone). Saw a puppy on line but I am not qualified. So we are talking to a doodle breeder who bred one of my GSD's friends.

Personally, I am interested in genetics aspect of various types of breeds, their similarity and difference. What contributes to their cancer, their special traits. But this topic is not for this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs