U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:20 PM

2,621 posts, read 7,506,150 times

Advertisements

I just went to the Pet Food Store and I was surprised to see the price of our dog food go from $8.99 to 11.99. Have you seen prices rise in your neighborhood?

The Standard - Hong Kong's First FREE English Newspaper

Well, at least it is worldwide...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 08:43 PM

6,976 posts, read 10,751,962 times
Everything has gone up, everything we eat and drink too. As for dog food, my food I get for my dog hasnt gone up at the feed store yet.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:17 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,501,004 times
My brood LOVES Alpo Prime Cuts dry dog food and every few weeks Kmart has it on sale for $13 for a 50-pound bag. It seems that every time I run out, it happens to be on sale! Every other day, I mix in a half-can of Alpo Chop House wet food. They are very happy doggies, LOL.

I hate dealing with 50-pound bags but it IS so much cheaper to buy it that way.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:46 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,234,304 times
I'd have to check. We buy Iams mini-chunks in the biggest bag available and it takes our trio some time to finish that off. Guess I just haven't paid attention. That's all they get for a diet so can't coment on canned or other brands.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:08 AM

1,587 posts, read 4,325,253 times
Fuel and shipping cost all getting passed on to us consumers so yes seen my brand go up $2.00 for 50 pounds also. Everything going nuts.
Wonder how these increases going to hurt the shelters also or if manufacturers donate enough or sell at low cost so not hurt them.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:13 AM

8,192 posts, read 19,589,037 times
I already pay $24.99 for a 17 pound bag of food. I'd hate to think it would go up very much. That bag lasts my 85 pound dog 6-8 weeks.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:26 AM

10,277 posts, read 10,648,221 times
If you haven't seen an increase it may be because the store hasn't had a new shipment yet. As others said, the prices of everything will be going up (much of the increases have begun already) due to price of gas. So much moves by truck, and the truckers are hurting. If they can't meet their expenses, they go out of business, so the prices have nowhere to go but up (unless we finally get someone in government to do something about it).

Old 04-20-2008, 09:28 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,731,129 times
Yes, we were given the increase from our distributor in March. Didn't pass that along to our cistomers until this month. I know a few brands took a huge hit and one or two didn't even change, being the ones we carry.

Yes as stated, it all stems from the cost of transportation. I feel for some of my friends who not only drive truck, but own the truck as well..... they get hit twice; at the pump and at the stores.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:13 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,501,004 times
I must admit to switching dog food brands because of price and other concerns. I used to feed Nutro and, when some Nutro and other premium foods were recalled, I noticed that Purina remained unaffected by recalls! My bulldog never liked Nutro -- she'd eat it because it's all I offered and the rest liked it OK, but when I'd run out and have to do a run to Kmart for something else, she was thrilled when I brought home Alpo or Pedigree dry, LOL. So, I just slowly switched them all.

To be honest, when I first got bulldogs, I tried several premium foods and they turned up their flat noses. Geez, I even tried Royal Canin bulldog food and they had to be REALLY hungry before they'd deign to eat it! I figured, what good is buying this expensive food if the dogs won't eat it! They'd even wait me out so long occasionally that they'd get head tremors from low blood sugar! I'd have to mix the food with something else to get them to eat. My non-bulldogs haven't been nearly as picky but, given a choice, they'll happily eat Alpo over the premium brands. So, I gave up, LOL!

Old 04-21-2008, 12:11 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,731,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I must admit to switching dog food brands because of price and other concerns. I used to feed Nutro and, when some Nutro and other premium foods were recalled, I noticed that Purina remained unaffected by recalls! My bulldog never liked Nutro -- she'd eat it because it's all I offered and the rest liked it OK, but when I'd run out and have to do a run to Kmart for something else, she was thrilled when I brought home Alpo or Pedigree dry, LOL. So, I just slowly switched them all.

To be honest, when I first got bulldogs, I tried several premium foods and they turned up their flat noses. Geez, I even tried Royal Canin bulldog food and they had to be REALLY hungry before they'd deign to eat it! I figured, what good is buying this expensive food if the dogs won't eat it! They'd even wait me out so long occasionally that they'd get head tremors from low blood sugar! I'd have to mix the food with something else to get them to eat. My non-bulldogs haven't been nearly as picky but, given a choice, they'll happily eat Alpo over the premium brands. So, I gave up, LOL!
Hate to burst your bubble, not certain if you feed kibble or wet, but Alpo had one on the recall last year.

The thing that scares me most about some of those grocery store available brands are the by-products!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs