Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:10 PM

893 posts, read 780,369 times

Advertisements

What ever happened to Raid flea and tick for pet and bed? Big blue can I believe and that stuff worked. My yorkies hate Frontline and the little one rubs like crazy. The vet says it's the alcohol in them that stings. I can't believe all the years I used I think 7 dust for the outdoor dogs now all of sudden we have to have these designer flea and tick products that make our pets sick and don't even work most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 08:01 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,504,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
What ever happened to Raid flea and tick for pet and bed? Big blue can I believe and that stuff worked. My yorkies hate Frontline and the little one rubs like crazy. The vet says it's the alcohol in them that stings. I can't believe all the years I used I think 7 dust for the outdoor dogs now all of sudden we have to have these designer flea and tick products that make our pets sick and don't even work most of the time.
Nature's Guardian Natural Flea and Tick med.

I am trying this on my dogs right now as a trial. Dogs did not go crazy when put on smell not to bad but does hang around a bit. I did notice on the english setter who is mostly white can see line down back where put it that turned yellow. Nature's Guardian Natural Flea and Tick med.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,412,071 times
I used Frontline for many years with good results, no fleas or ticks. Last summer, I noticed fleas on one dog. frontline would not kill them. Switched to K9Advantix and they disappeared by the next day and have not seen a flea or tick since.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:16 PM

265 posts, read 1,288,632 times
Exclamation Avoid ProMeris, a new flea/tick product on the market...

Okay, turns out the bad stories are not about Comfortis, but a new product out called ProMeris, which is not even available in all states...I am posting an email on the subject that I recently received (with sender's permission) :

Permission to cross post.....please keep name at the end.

Guess this is a "heads up" about a new product on the market called
Promeris, manufactured by Ft. Dodge.
beth

> This is a very important message to my family & friends who have
> dogs-cats--and to alert you to the hazard of using a new Flea & Tick
> Preventative called ProMeris http://www.promeris<http://www.promeris/ (broken link)>
com/consumer/ .
>
>
> This is a new product designed to be a more effective product than
other
> flea/tick treatments that was just released this year. It is available
> thru a vet and not currently on-line. I got ProMeris this week for my 7
> dogs (6 Huskies & 1 Golden-Airedale) , and the results were
debilitating
> for nearly all of them-including me. Since my incident this week, my
vet
> has pulled it from distribution and alerted the manufacturer, Fort
Dodge .
>
>
> Here are my results: Within less than 2 hours after applying, 4 of
my dogs
> had vomited from 2-4 times, 3 were disoriented and stumbling, 1 was
> dragging his back leg, 1 was salivating. I had very similar symptoms
> an allergic reaction-my lips were swollen, eyes very red, mucous
membranes
> such as eyes, nose, and mouth were stinging. I was very disoriented-
dizzy
> equilibrium and not able to drive. To make this a short story-all 7
of my
> dogs were admitted to the hospital for veterinarian care, and 3 of them
> remained for care, IV fluids and observation for 24 hours. I was in the
> emergency room. I'm home now and so are the dogs. We're all feeling
much
> better. Vet bills were over $2,500 and Fort Dodge is paying for
these. Not
> only can the product cause this reaction, it has a highly noxious odor
> that permeated the house and is just starting to dissipate after 3
days.
>
>
> Your dogs/cats might not have the same reaction, but given my
experience-I
> wanted to help you all become well-educated about the product.

Kathryn L. Leinthall
Kalein T Welsh Terriers

Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,067,479 times
I tried Nature Guardian and I didn't see where it did anything. My poor little yorkie still had fleas on him. It did smell good right after I put it on him.

I bought Frontline and he still has fleas on him, although not as many as before. I think I will try K-advantage or maybe even oral although I am really leary of using oral medication.

What do you use in your yard to kill the fleas? I have an 1/2 acre.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,010,992 times
My dog had a really bad reaction from one of the once per month oral flea, tick, heartworm preventatives. After his second one, he got really sick... and it took almost a month for it to get out of his system. If you research on the internet, lots of dogs have had similar experiences from these products.

Before then and since then, I've been using drops. I buy it from Walmart. I'm seriously considering buying the natural one that someone else mentioned. You can use it twice a month - it's got Vanillin as it's "poison" instead of all of the serious poisons in the others.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:47 AM

389 posts, read 3,533,045 times
The clinic where I work recently discussed Comfortis and ProMeris at the weekly meeting. I believe that the final word was that Comfortis doesn't seem to work at all, and ProMeris has had some BAD side effects.

I use Frontline Plus (though I have to admit I stopped using it monthly because we don't have a flea or tick problem where we live. I think they spray so much junk around our community that alot of little critters don't survive around us. I still do apply it every once in a while, but I figure without a real need for it, it's just extra chemical on my guys). That being said, if you are using a monthly preventative, it often varies what works for different people. We have had clients that say this one doesn't work at all or that one is great, and the next person in the door will say the exact opposite. So it just depends on what works for you. They have also been discussing the possibility of building immunity to a product if it is used over and over and the idea that maybe switching between products month to month may be the way to go.

When we move to TN in a couple of years, I will absolutely go back to applying monthly because I KNOW there are ticks where we are building, and I will definitely start back with Fronline Plus, but I will also be keeping the idea of possible immunity in my mind and maybe switch back and forth between a couple of different products.

Sorry for the long answer to a short question.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,330,830 times
I use the frontline bottle spray...that way I can get the undercarriage legs ect. I've never had a problem since I started using on my dogs...wish they had something like that for humans...I've had tick borne stuff three times now

Old 06-02-2008, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 62,094 times
After 5+ years, Frontline Plus has definitely stopped working on our Pom ... vet recommended Comfortis ($15 a dose). Much cheaper on-line at Pet Medications | Veterinary Supplies | Pet Flea Control | Equine Supplements & Medications | Pet Vitamins

We'll give him his first dose today when he gets back from the groomer. Hopefully, it will work!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:27 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,504,413 times
Nature's Guardian Natural Flea and Tick med.
Seemed to work well for me and way mosquites are this spring that is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs