Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:07 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,260,375 times

Advertisements

so glad all of you have personal experience on this.
my Mom has three dogs ..two outside dogs! The two outside dogs sleep in a pen connected to the barn and only one of them continues to have fleas. They switched to frontline plus(was on advantix)and still she has fleas.
My mom said the fleas on her are very tiny. She's a black dog ...don't know if that has anything to do w/ it(doubt it).
Think she's gonna try comfortis next to see if it works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 05:05 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,820,202 times
How do you guys feel about putting what is essentially a pesticide on your dog? I do not like it at all, but when we don't give it to her, SHE GETS TICKS. We go hiking fairly frequently. We have used K9 advantix and frontline plus and I really don't know the difference .....

Old 09-30-2008, 09:27 AM

414 posts, read 1,858,156 times
We don't really have a flea or tick problem. We live in a townhome community and walk our dogs in mowed grass. Nevertheless, we use Hartz flea and tick. It seems to work fine. No fleas or ticks in 1.5 years.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:37 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,407,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
1800PetMeds.com

I am debating upon what I should use for Flea prevention. Our predominantly indoor dog (except for 2 mile walks/day) uses Frontline Plus. I was about to order from an online website and saw K9 Advantix was preferred by Veterinarians (according to 800petmeds).

Frontline Plus stops development but does not repel Fleas. The opposite is true for K9. The Prices are comparable.

I have read some bad side effects from users through Amazon.com which I do place some degree of weight (one bad side effect is enough for even one family to suffer through - We never had issues with Frontline Plus).

I also looked into the oral version Comfortis. Any experiences?

What is the consensus here?
Advantage is fine for fleas and safer then those other things that have additional pesticides to kill ticks and such. And the orals have even more meds to kill worms. I try to give my dogs as little of that junk as possible.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:17 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,708,998 times
Do you use soap free shampoo to give your dog a bath? I read that conventional doggy shampoo washes the Flea Medication, right off.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,872 times
My dog, a 3 year old Affenpincsher, had a very bad reaction to his second dose of Comfortis. I will not give it to him ever again. The first month he vomited the day after dosage was given. It wasn't completely clear that is what caused it, but it was likely. The package insert said that's a pretty common side-effect, and usually diminishes with subsequent treatments.
Well, the second time I gave it to him (about 3 weeks ago now), he had it at about 8 AM with breakfast. At 11:30 AM I was stepping out of the shower, and he walked up to me slowly and layed down at my feet. Never had he behaved like that. He's a toy terrier, so usually so energetic and playful and scampering around playfully. He then stretched his neck and raised his head up high, sort of looking at me and then at the ceiling. He was very lethargic, but still responsive. He lay in my lap listlessly and kept stretching his neck and raising his head. He didn't seem to be having trouble breathing, but I was alarmed by this strange behavior, and his general manner. I paged the vet (it was on a Sunday) and she said to give him time, but if he became unresponsive to take him to the emergency room (which is less than 5 minutes from our home).
He lay on my lap and I was reassuring him and cuddling him, and about an hour later he seemed to be getting better, and by midnight he was almost back to normal. The next day he seemed fine.
Two weeks ago my boyfriend said "he's getting FAT!", and indeed I had noticed that he'd seemed heavier... we weighed him several times (standing on my scale with him and without him in our arms), and he weighed 13 pounds. That is 2 pounds gain in less than a month. And it coincided with the Comfortis treatment. Now, two weeks later we weighed him again and he is back to 11 pounds. So, I think that he had a bad reaction to the Comfortis and maybe it damaged his kidneys or liver, and he was retaining fluid... food and exercise would not do that in such a short time, and he has not had any different amounts of either. I am taking him to the vet next week and will relate this entire episode to her, and will not be giving him Comfortis ever again.
Please let me know if any of you have experienced anything similar...

Old 01-19-2009, 04:02 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,930,726 times
We're still doing Comfortis.
I'm not thrilled, but we're doing okay.
Elwood weighs about 150 lbs; I give him one dose one day, and a second, smaller dose the next--both times on a full stomach.
He spit up a little this month, but no real vomiting.
I agree that it's scary--you feel like you are poisoning your dog--well really you sort of are.
But he has been free of fleas.
I give him his Heartguard the following week.
Now we have a new puppy and I have to decide what to do about him.
The thought of giving that little guy Comfortis is not comforting.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:50 AM

20,957 posts, read 5,520,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Advantage is fine for fleas and safer then those other things that have additional pesticides to kill ticks and such. And the orals have even more meds to kill worms. I try to give my dogs as little of that junk as possible.
I've always relied on Advantage. Once I tried Advantix, and my dog just went insane trying to rub it off! (Not a behavior he exhibited with Advantage.) So we decided to try Frontline, and I was afraid I was going to lose my dog! Put it on him at night, and by next morning he was frighteningly lethargic! Not himself at all! So I washed off and by the afternoon he was feeling better.

So it's Advantage forever as far as I'm concerned! My new dog gets it, no problems.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 7,816 times
Default help with tick problem

I have a 10-month-old lab-beagle mix with serious intestinal and skin problems (she ate some fiberglass while she was still in foster care). We used Frontline at first, but she had an allergic reaction to it. The vet recommended comfortis and we were concerned because of her problems, but she has had no issues with it. We usually give it to her about an hour or so after feeding (we wrap it in provolone cheese). She has been using it for 6 months now and we love it. The only problem is that it does not do anything for ticks. We live in Memphis and this is a common problem here. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 7,696 times
Default Comfortis

I used comfortis for my Pom last fall. She is an indoor dog and I take her places with me. she got infested running outside at my mom's (who lives in a remote area - lots of animals roaming around). She was on " flea drops" I picked up at either the vet or the store. I needed a fast cure for the fleas and my vet suggested Comfortis, the chewable tablet I give her 1X a day.

this stuff works like a charm! My Pom is only 6 lbs, and doesn't like it outside - I can't have fleas in my house. She's getting comfortis daily and has no side effects, no drops on her skin... works great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs