Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:04 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,908,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post

My dog has been on Advantage Multi (by Bayer) for the last four months. It's heartworm/flea/tick all in one. A topical.
This is what we switched to, but we only just did it this month.

It is my understanding that Advantage Multi does *not* protect against ticks.

Link
# 100 percent effective at preventing heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis, as shown in clinical trials.
# 100 percent effective treatment and control of hookworm infections caused by Ancylostoma caninum and Uncinaria stenocephala (adults, immature adults and fourth stage larvae).
# Up to 98.2 percent effective treatment and control of roundworm infections caused by Toxocara canis (adults and fourth stage larvae).
# Up to 100 percent effective for the treatment and control roundworm infection caused by Toxascaris leonina (adults).
# Up to 98.6 percent effective treatment and control of whipworm infections caused by Trichuris vulpis (adults).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 11:46 AM

18 posts, read 68,548 times
Hi I was wondering if any of you have formed an opinion on it as of yet? I live in Florida and had used Frontline then the plus for years and it stopped being effective so I went to advantax and it is now not working so my vet whom I’ve gone to since 1991 now recommends Comfortis. Well after reading everything out there its so confusing. Do you like it now or think for 2 Chihuahua’s it is fine? I was thinking of using Revolution to combine the heartworm and flea to save money since I have 4 cats and 2 dogs. What do you think?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:19 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,420,919 times
I had always used Frontline on my dogs. When they were 9, they got a dose of fleas that I couldn't get rid of. It had cost me $600 and I still had fleas. Multiple flea bats at groomers, for them and the cat, bombing the house, Frontline for everyone, etc. Finally, when I complained to the vet, they suggested Capstar for the cat (Comfortis wasn't made for cats then, and I'm not sure it's been released yet for them), and Comfortis for the dogs.

Their scratching had been driving me crazy. Within an hour of the three of them having their pills, ALL scratching stopped!!! YAY! The vet said the cat was acting as the transmiter, but the fleas were hopping onto the dogs once inside the house.

I have now used Comfortis once or twice a year for 3 years. One year while in Florida, I used it 3 times. I swear by it. The dogs are now 12 and I give it to them after feeding them a meal and I wrap the pill in a peanut butter laced Ritz cracker stack. Not once have they ever vomited or shown any adverse reactions to the medicine.

I, like BlueWillowPlate, feel guilty and have reservations that we are in effect feeding our beloved babies poison, but it has been the only effective tool I've found. Since they started receiving the pill later in their lives, I have less guilt. Again, like BWP, I don't think I'd give the pill to a younger dog, but that's just me. If my house was over run with fleas, I might change my mind!

Also, I wouldn't pay too much attention to older posts where the persons only post was on this topic, never to be heard from again. Smacks too much of drug company plants imo!!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 12:46 PM

18 posts, read 68,548 times
Default Comfortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
I had always used Frontline on my dogs. When they were 9, they got a dose of fleas that I couldn't get rid of. It had cost me $600 and I still had fleas. Multiple flea bats at groomers, for them and the cat, bombing the house, Frontline for everyone, etc. Finally, when I complained to the vet, they suggested Capstar for the cat (Comfortis wasn't made for cats then, and I'm not sure it's been released yet for them), and Comfortis for the dogs.

Their scratching had been driving me crazy. Within an hour of the three of them having their pills, ALL scratching stopped!!! YAY! The vet said the cat was acting as the transmiter, but the fleas were hopping onto the dogs once inside the house.

I have now used Comfortis once or twice a year for 3 years. One year while in Florida, I used it 3 times. I swear by it. The dogs are now 12 and I give it to them after feeding them a meal and I wrap the pill in a peanut butter laced Ritz cracker stack. Not once have they ever vomited or shown any adverse reactions to the medicine.

I, like BlueWillowPlate, feel guilty and have reservations that we are in effect feeding our beloved babies poison, but it has been the only effective tool I've found. Since they started receiving the pill later in their lives, I have less guilt. Again, like BWP, I don't think I'd give the pill to a younger dog, but that's just me. If my house was over run with fleas, I might change my mind!

Also, I wouldn't pay too much attention to older posts where the persons only post was on this topic, never to be heard from again. Smacks too much of drug company plants imo!!!!
Thank you for this information. I too hate the thought of putting that in their systems but they are suffering now as is my daughter and I.
Now what I am worried about is my girl is over 6 years old but my boy is only 1.5 years old so is he too young for it? Plus she is about 7 pounds but not sure havent gone to the vet yet.

Another problem I have is I have not given heartworm meds because I was worried about it in the system and they are due at the vet. In the past nothing has ever happened to the older one but I know my vet is going to hound me so I was looking at the pills to save money the all in ones and I'm so confused on which to get and which not to get. Any advise is greatly taken and used.
Oh before I forget I have 4 cats 3 of which are outside ones that come in to eat and sleep if wet and cold they are strays I fixed and I gave them baths and no fleas yet the dogs have them. Why is that?
Thanks Debra

Old 11-08-2009, 01:22 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,641,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I asked about Comfortis yesterday while at the Vets, since I hadn't seen it before. She said it is oral med and does not kill ticks, but it will kill fleas within 20 minutes after taking it. Last for a month
Per their website..
The most common adverse reaction recorded during clinical trials was vomiting. Other adverse reactions were decreased appetite, lethargy, redness of the skin, hyperactivity and excessive salivation

I am trying the Brewer's yeast and garlic to see how that works. I am just leery of oral meds, since they already take the heartworm preventative
Saw your post and living in Florida with 2 dogs never saw fleas until this year.
I only now do have one dog, but i was giving frontline every other month
and it worked fine since it came on the market. This year the dog was on her back and I saw fleas! I did give her another frontine still fleas anyway
we do have a bug person who does the spray in and out so I got my own
spray and sprayed the rugs where they hide. Then I did order the fronline spay and took the comb and dog out to kill the rest. I read about this comfortis, and did decide to buy it and got 6 pills on line. Those fleas were dead fast and never did get a chance to bite the dog or me! I did have luck
with the raid flea spray which I used on chairs, rugs etc. however the pill
is pricey but if it works I will use it. Maybe that and then the advantix
when cold! Dr Foster and Smith had a good price for the comfortis with
free shipping and no sales tax where I am. h.w. I use interceptor which works
great . p.s. one flea got mad and did bite me which was bye mr flea!

Old 11-08-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam1120 View Post
Hi I was wondering if any of you have formed an opinion on it as of yet? I live in Florida and had used Frontline then the plus for years and it stopped being effective so I went to advantax and it is now not working so my vet whom I’ve gone to since 1991 now recommends Comfortis. Well after reading everything out there its so confusing. Do you like it now or think for 2 Chihuahua’s it is fine? I was thinking of using Revolution to combine the heartworm and flea to save money since I have 4 cats and 2 dogs. What do you think?
I have found the same as you frontline this year did quit working. The frontline spray with the comb and do it outside with warm suds it the water
will work better than the other frontline. Amazon has it cheap so compare
who has it. That may be the best and cheapest way for you. Your dogs are
small and raid the flea stuff i did spray one can and another and did use the comfortis which did work and I did see the fleas dead. The comfortis is price
wise expensive so maybe get a six package and when cold use the frontline spray? If you buy the comfortis at a vets it will cost more dr foster and smith
do have it at a good price and are reliable. Also since you have cats go to
there web site and read real reviews. It is silly to waste money for what will
not work now, but did. Comfortis you do need a script from the vet. The real bad about fleas which I did learn if pets itch and eat one they get these tapeworm which means more pills! Another tip for the fleas is you have rugs etc., with a bag get a dog flea collar and cut it into small part and use them
in the bag to kill them for sure. Also with rugs etc., wear white socks since they jump on them and don't bite you!

Last edited by maggiekate; 11-08-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
so glad all of you have personal experience on this.
my Mom has three dogs ..two outside dogs! The two outside dogs sleep in a pen connected to the barn and only one of them continues to have fleas. They switched to frontline plus(was on advantix)and still she has fleas.
My mom said the fleas on her are very tiny. She's a black dog ...don't know if that has anything to do w/ it(doubt it).
Think she's gonna try comfortis next to see if it works!
Same as what I saw real tiny ones after doing frontline 2 times in the month it did
not kill them. Also almost everyone here had the same problem with living
fleas and the how to kill them. I have now used this comfortis 3 pills and
the tiny fleas are dead so it must really work. Be sure to spray the rug for any
left over ones, Raid the flea one worked good for me and you can spray the furniture beds etc., and it kills these bad guys! I did find the frontline spray works better than the other stuff and use the flea comb and drown them outside. The spray work real fast with the comb and the water with suds!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Will do not til beginning of month but I be good test as train in woods with large tick infestation area. Went on search without dogs other day and in 2 1/2 hours had 14 wood ticks and 3 bear ticks on me.
Frontline says nothing about Mosquitoes either where as this does.
I use interceptor once the dog is test for heart worm and order online fr Dr
F&S It has worked so far fine 20 years so I do trust it. We have loads of
Mosquitoes who bite me. This dog so far has never had a tick but is an
inside dog mostly!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbag View Post
I have a 10-month-old lab-beagle mix with serious intestinal and skin problems (she ate some fiberglass while she was still in foster care). We used Frontline at first, but she had an allergic reaction to it. The vet recommended comfortis and we were concerned because of her problems, but she has had no issues with it. We usually give it to her about an hour or so after feeding (we wrap it in provolone cheese). She has been using it for 6 months now and we love it. The only problem is that it does not do anything for ticks. We live in Memphis and this is a common problem here. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
My dog does not like it either therefore I need to make sure she eats it!
The only pill she wants is this rymidal for joint pain, she is really happy to take that go out to see other dogs and then eat? She does not like her flavor heart worm pill either so I do need to be sure it does not get tossed out!
Comfortis I give her the pill and then she eats so far OK she has had 3 so far.
It works, and if she ate fleas then tapeworms? I do see dead fleas, so it really must kill them so far. With frontline I saw fleas till I got the spray which
dazed them til I did drown them.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
1800PetMeds.com

I am debating upon what I should use for Flea prevention. Our predominantly indoor dog (except for 2 mile walks/day) uses Frontline Plus. I was about to order from an online website and saw K9 Advantix was preferred by Veterinarians (according to 800petmeds).

Frontline Plus stops development but does not repel Fleas. The opposite is true for K9. The Prices are comparable.

I have read some bad side effects from users through Amazon.com which I do place some degree of weight (one bad side effect is enough for even one family to suffer through - We never had issues with Frontline Plus).

I also looked into the oral version Comfortis. Any experiences?

What is the consensus here?
Comfortis works at least so far, you also need the vet to give a script to buy
it. It also does not kill ticks, also it does cost lots, and more if you buy it
from the vet! Frontline spray kills fleas and you could check amazone for that
It seems to now work better than the packet? If what you have works stay with it! I loved frontline and got it when it came on the market in the USA!
It did work, but I live in a flea state, so some complaints may not apply to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs