U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 PM

8,629 posts, read 1,158,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
I use diatomaceous earth for my carpet but didn't realize you can use it on pets or eat it. How do you get it on the pet? Mine has long hair you need to be able to get it to the skin as well. Do you have link about using it on pets or eating it?
Thanks
Oh my gosh, there's a million ways to use DE. Sorry, I don't have any links.

I just take a big tablespoon of it and stir it into about 6 ounces of water. You can put it into any drink or food, and it really is nearly tasteless. I'll even put it in my beloved coffee in a pinch!

You can sprinkle it on your pet's food. The recommendation I most often see for dosing is a half-teaspoon daily for small dogs. I bake it into my dog's homemade treats. To get it on her skin, I use a plastic squeeze bottle with a blunt-tipped hypodermic needle, and just bury the tip in her fur, without poking her of course, and give a little squeeze, then just give her a loving bit of a massage. She hates it -- scares her, for some reason -- but we deal with it and go at it slowly. You might even think about mixing some into the final rinse water when you bathe your dog, working it into the skin. The dog's coat will look dusty when it dries, but he/she will shake it off or lick it off. I mix it in water to spray on my plants and all over my deck to discourage spiders and ants.

Look up food grade DE or fossil shell flour on eBay, and when you find it, look at the seller's other products, where you can often find a lot of additional information about how to use it. Also, Google either term -- like "diatomaceous earth for flea control". You'll find a wealth of information.

And don't forget to let me know how it works, or if you have more questions. If you feel comfortable doing it, I can send you a squeeze bottle and needle -- I'm a crafter and I buy them by the hundreds. DM me if you'd like to do that.

And thanks for being a loving and responsible pet person!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,090,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Oh my gosh, there's a million ways to use DE. Sorry, I don't have any links.

I just take a big tablespoon of it and stir it into about 6 ounces of water. You can put it into any drink or food, and it really is nearly tasteless. I'll even put it in my beloved coffee in a pinch!

You can sprinkle it on your pet's food. The recommendation I most often see for dosing is a half-teaspoon daily for small dogs. I bake it into my dog's homemade treats. To get it on her skin, I use a plastic squeeze bottle with a blunt-tipped hypodermic needle, and just bury the tip in her fur, without poking her of course, and give a little squeeze, then just give her a loving bit of a massage. She hates it -- scares her, for some reason -- but we deal with it and go at it slowly. You might even think about mixing some into the final rinse water when you bathe your dog, working it into the skin. The dog's coat will look dusty when it dries, but he/she will shake it off or lick it off. I mix it in water to spray on my plants and all over my deck to discourage spiders and ants.

Look up food grade DE or fossil shell flour on eBay, and when you find it, look at the seller's other products, where you can often find a lot of additional information about how to use it. Also, Google either term -- like "diatomaceous earth for flea control". You'll find a wealth of information.

And don't forget to let me know how it works, or if you have more questions. If you feel comfortable doing it, I can send you a squeeze bottle and needle -- I'm a crafter and I buy them by the hundreds. DM me if you'd like to do that.

And thanks for being a loving and responsible pet person!
Thank You so much for great info... I hate to use chemical around the house especially with the babies and kids in the house. My furbabies are important. I am going to pm you about what you offer. Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 PM

If anyone else interested in diatomaceous earth. Here is more information as well:
http://www.dirtworks.net/Images/Docu...Earthsheet.doc

Old 11-12-2009, 01:31 PM

Another question...How often do you have to apply diatomaceous earth to our furbabies so? as well has having them eat it? Once a month like Frontline and heartworm?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 9,222 times
i moved from az to wa and never had fleas until then nibbles was miserable and so i went and comfortis have used advantix another products before and didnt like how leave oily spot on his coat and they did work if you gave him a bath or if he was swimming!! so went to vet and was told about comfortis and so i tried it and it work really good and didn't have any side effects. i went to the feed store up here and they didn't have comfortis so i got capstar and it has been a nightmare!! nibbles is itching more with the use of capstar and he has crustys on his skin and they build up on his back until the are all the way down his spine and on his tail and bottom and he gets a horrible rash on his belly from it to so i am going to go back to comfortis because if i don't he will be miserable again and like anything else it depends on your dog an how it affects them. so with this i am going to sign off and will talk to you later

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
[URL="http://www.1800petmeds.com/charts/fleaandticktopical.htm"]1800PetMeds.com[/URL]

I am debating upon what I should use for Flea prevention. Our predominantly indoor dog (except for 2 mile walks/day) uses Frontline Plus. I was about to order from an online website and saw K9 Advantix was preferred by Veterinarians (according to 800petmeds).

Frontline Plus stops development but does not repel Fleas. The opposite is true for K9. The Prices are comparable.

I have read some bad side effects from users through Amazon.com which I do place some degree of weight (one bad side effect is enough for even one family to suffer through - We never had issues with Frontline Plus).

I also looked into the oral version Comfortis. Any experiences?

What is the consensus here?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM

Sorry it is all jammed up i have huntingtons disease and it is hard to type some times . Nibbles is my life and will soon be my service dog and i don't want him to suffer because of the fleas so really what product you use is what is best for your best friend !!

Quote:
another question...how often do you have to apply diatomaceous earth to our furbabies so? As well has having them eat it? Once a month like frontline and heartworm?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:38 AM

Comfortis is waterproof also

sorry it is all jammed up i have huntingtons disease and it is hard to type some times . Nibbles is my life and will soon be my service dog and i don't want him to suffer because of the fleas so really what product you use is what is best for your best friend !!

Quote:
another question...how often do you have to apply diatomaceous earth to our furbabies so? As well has having them eat it? Once a month like frontline and heartworm?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 AM

it is going to be trial and error i moved from az to wa (never had fleas in az) tried the oil base meds and they did work and then he couldn't swim. so i went to see the vet and got comfortis for nibbles and it worked wonderfully. it is really waterproof which is important because we are by beach and river and he loves to swim.

but then i went to feed store to see if they had comfortis and they didnt have it and so i got capstar what a mistake!!! it has caused nibbles to it more from it than the fleas.

he got rash on his stomach and got crusties all down his spine, bottom & tail. i have huntiongtons disease and he is going to be my service dog and he is my life.

so if i were you i would just try different thing. what works for one might not work for someone else.

even the vets or anyone else selling these things aren't know what reaction it will have on our babies!! so like i said it is going to be a what works for you & your family member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
[URL="http://www.1800petmeds.com/charts/fleaandticktopical.htm"]1800PetMeds.com[/URL]

I am debating upon what I should use for Flea prevention. Our predominantly indoor dog (except for 2 mile walks/day) uses Frontline Plus. I was about to order from an online website and saw K9 Advantix was preferred by Veterinarians (according to 800petmeds).

Frontline Plus stops development but does not repel Fleas. The opposite is true for K9. The Prices are comparable.

I have read some bad side effects from users through Amazon.com which I do place some degree of weight (one bad side effect is enough for even one family to suffer through - We never had issues with Frontline Plus).

I also looked into the oral version Comfortis. Any experiences?

What is the consensus here?

Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 PM

42,298 posts, read 46,085,939 times
I haveused them all and confortis is by far te best. Just be sure and give after a mill. The drops take up to 36 hrs to kill a flea. Confortis takes about 45 minutes.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 PM

410 posts, read 730,983 times
In my experience, the cheaper products (Hartz, etc.) don't work at all. Not worth the money. We use Advantage on the 4 cats, it works great on them. The dog is a Sheltie/Pom mix, and has such a thick coat that no amount of Advantage would work on her! She's been on Comfortis for about 6 months, and it's working great so far.

I would love to be able to use natural / nontoxic products, but with the amount of animals we have, and the climate, and they are all indoor/outdoor...well, what we're doing now works, and we have had a cat get a serious flea problem (when not on Advantage), so I figure the flea meds are better than the alternative.

I tried an 'herbal' flea repellent spray from Petco on Sienna (the dog.) It was made with various essential oils, and it made her SO sick. Severe vomiting and diarrhea for 24 hours, had to get IV fluids at the vets, it was horrible. Only after washing her twice with Dawn dish detergent (it's what they use to clean up birds from oil spills!) did she finally recover. Moral of the story - 1. Just because it's 'natural' doesn't mean it's harmless, and 2. Be very careful when using sprays and such!

I also tried diatomeceous earth (sp?) but it dried the dog's coat out something awful, and I had to reapply it to the cats nearly every other day. So another no-go for us.

But yeah, thumbs up on the Comfortis, especially for thick-coated dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs