U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM

6,770 posts, read 12,501,408 times
Default What should I expect when my puppy comes home from being spayed?

We're getting our puppy (5 months) spayed on Thursday. We've opted to bring her to our vet although it is going way over our budget. They will do laser surgery and keep her overnight. ): My husband preferred the vet (over $300) to the Human Society (my choice). I love my dog very much but it's so expensive...!

What I can I expect for her when she comes home on Friday? Will she be able to eat or will she sleep a lot? How long is the recovery?
My husband will be home with her all day till I get home from work. So...any info on how your puppies did at the vet...let me know it will be okay...
a nervous mom!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-22-2008, 07:45 PM

4,015 posts, read 9,662,835 times
It truly depends on the dog. Some come home slightly sluggish, but no worse for the wear, others you'd never even know they'd been under anesthesia.

Where your vet is keeping her overnight rather than sending her home the same day, she should be perky.

Keep an eye on the incision to make certain it doesn't become infected, that can happen by her licking it when those nerves wake up or by a reaction from the sutures, the latter is somewhat less frequent than the former

Make certain to keep the incision area dry.... no baths. She'll either have sutures that the vet will want to remove in about a week and a half, or possibly dissolvable.

If anything looks out of the ordinary, don't hesitate to give them a call and ask questions.

Unread 04-22-2008, 09:45 PM

3,302 posts, read 836,377 times
Each of my dogs had a different reaction. My red heeler was still somewhat sluggish when I brought him home. His biggest problem was the lightening storm we had that night. It really seemed to "freak" him out. I woke up several times and watched him just staring at the window. As far as when I brought him home, he drank a little water and wasn't very hungry. I don't remember if he ate much at all that night. He finally went to sleep and was back to normal the next day. To be honest, it was kind of funny watching his reactions to the lightening strikes. Especially since he normally shows absolutely no reaction whatsoever to lightening or thunder!

My mini schnauzer was so dopey she slept most of the afternoon and night. She did become a little nauseous shortly after bringing her home. After that, I just gave her water in very small quantities. She slept throughout the night and was fine the next morning....rambunctious and ornery as ever! The afternoon I brought her home she slept in my arms just like a baby.

The biggest concern (as has been mentioned) was their licking the stitches/incision site. However, both of mine did fine with no complications.

Good luck with yours!

Unread 04-23-2008, 10:35 PM

8,204 posts, read 21,894,670 times
Soreness and sluggishness, and you're usually told to limit any jumping/rough play for 2 weeks.

This last time, my dog pulled her staples out....twice!

I never had a dog do this before, but as soon as I brought her home, she yanked them out (I thought she was sleeping ). We rushed back to the vet and her stapled her back up. They gave me an elizabethan collar for her and we went back home.

About a week later, she slid the collar off and pulled them out again!

All is well now, but it made the healing process take a lot longer.

So, yeah, watch out for licking!

Unread 04-24-2008, 01:35 PM

10,241 posts, read 9,566,168 times
My bigest problem was keeping them still.

Unread 04-24-2008, 03:43 PM

16,092 posts, read 9,475,280 times
I have had three dogs spayed. Two be the Human Society and one by my Vet. In all three instances I dropped off my pooches before 7:00 AM and picked them up that evening after 5:00 PM.

All three of my dogs behaved the same way. When they first got home they were very tired/sluggish. As if they had been playing hard all day. They would either eat very little or not at all the first night, just drinking water instead. On the first day after the surgery, they slept more than usual but otherwise behaved normally. By the second day they were all acting normally, eating the same amount of food as before.

I agree with 2mares, puppies are very hard to keep calm. I just gave up and let them be puppies. Anything I tried to do to mellow them out seemed like I was punishing them when they weren't doing anything wrong.

Unread 04-24-2008, 03:48 PM

3,628 posts, read 9,597,641 times
my 2 dogs never stayed overnight-one dog got spayed at 6 months, she was not changed one bit-Me I did baby her, and she was going to dog school-
she did not sleep, and was the fiesty puppy. The other dog was with the collar-and had a real hard time-she just wanted her crate-and the collar made it real hard. my brother showed her how to back in backwards. it is different for each dog. now the surgery is laser-and no stich removal from some vets just show lots of love, and baby the dog. each dog is different. and get a vet you do trust-

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-24-2008 at 04:05 PM..

Unread 04-25-2008, 09:12 AM

3,302 posts, read 836,377 times
GypsySoul22, How did you puppy do yesterday and last night? I hope everything went okay.

Unread 08-25-2008, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 48,965 times
So I just got my german shepherd/chow puppy spayed and she was only 5 months old. I thought that was a little too young but she was a rescue and that's just how they do it. I must say, I was nervous in the beginning and very scared about her 'after care' but she didn't even realize she had surgery! The first day I brought her home, she was extremely groggy and slept. She even let me pet her WITHOUT biting (she's big on teething right now). She ate only a little that night and slept through the entire night (YAY!!) adn in the morning, she was the same puppy as before. She still has YET to figure out she has stitches and is completely oblivious to her procedure. OUTCOME=WONDERFUL!!

Unread 08-25-2008, 08:47 AM

4,365 posts, read 7,714,526 times
I crated all mine with the E collar. May seem mean but they need to be kept still and get plenty of rest for a few days! No jumping up on anything or running! I left the E collar off one of mine once and she opened her stitches and it was a rush to emergency. Some dogs do not lick there but some do. I would not take a chance since she can not be watched every minute. Put a nice soft comforter in her crate! I also covered my crate with a blanket sheet halfway. You can remove the E collar for feeding her and letting her potty. She might have to potty more frequently for a couple of days.

Last edited by Blondie621; 08-25-2008 at 09:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs