U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:59 PM

17 posts, read 133,330 times

Advertisements

Hi all, just thought I would ask if anyone has had a dog go through Kidney failure and how you handled it. Facts are as follows:

Sadie, 11 years old, medium shepard size dog, was fine until about a week ago, then she got listless, stopped eating, was still drinking. It slowly got worse, still no eating, trembling, less drinking of water.

I took her to the vet today and her kidney levels were very high, BUN at 136(should be 10-25), creatinene at 10.9(should be between .5 and 1.6). That info is for others who have gone through this and know what it means. I know this info is incomplete and there could be a hundred other questions but there it is.

I am just curious as to others circumstances and what happened. With those levels I don't really expect her to bounce back, but we have been feeding her manually chicken broth and water to help with hydration while I decide if I should leave her at the vets for several days, and at quite an expense(although this is secondary, but my brother spent 6,000 dollars on a dog at the vet once only to never get the dog home again, so the cost has to be a factor since once you start, it is tough making a decision where to stop) to have them hydrate her with IV's. She does not seem to be in pain currently and goes for walks and car rides which she loves.

I don't want her spending her last days at the vets if she is not going to recover, I would rather make her comfortable and spend time with her and feel I will know when it is time for euthanasia. WOW, what a hard word to write, let alone think about. I had hoped she would live to be very old and die in her sleep dreaming of chasing rabbits as she used to do in Iowa.

SO, if you have any thoughts on this, AND you have had a dog go through the same thing, I would appreciate hearing about it. I am not looking for moral answers, I love my dog, but maybe some guidance on the good and bad of it.

Sorry if I rambled, i am a bit distracted and I thought maybe writing it down would help. It did, my eyes felt dry, now they aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 AM

11,526 posts, read 20,276,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMPIeman View Post
Hi all, just thought I would ask if anyone has had a dog go through Kidney failure and how you handled it. Facts are as follows:

Sadie, 11 years old, medium shepard size dog, was fine until about a week ago, then she got listless, stopped eating, was still drinking. It slowly got worse, still no eating, trembling, less drinking of water.

I took her to the vet today and her kidney levels were very high, BUN at 136(should be 10-25), creatinene at 10.9(should be between .5 and 1.6). That info is for others who have gone through this and know what it means. I know this info is incomplete and there could be a hundred other questions but there it is.

I am just curious as to others circumstances and what happened. With those levels I don't really expect her to bounce back, but we have been feeding her manually chicken broth and water to help with hydration while I decide if I should leave her at the vets for several days, and at quite an expense(although this is secondary, but my brother spent 6,000 dollars on a dog at the vet once only to never get the dog home again, so the cost has to be a factor since once you start, it is tough making a decision where to stop) to have them hydrate her with IV's. She does not seem to be in pain currently and goes for walks and car rides which she loves.

I don't want her spending her last days at the vets if she is not going to recover, I would rather make her comfortable and spend time with her and feel I will know when it is time for euthanasia. WOW, what a hard word to write, let alone think about. I had hoped she would live to be very old and die in her sleep dreaming of chasing rabbits as she used to do in Iowa.

SO, if you have any thoughts on this, AND you have had a dog go through the same thing, I would appreciate hearing about it. I am not looking for moral answers, I love my dog, but maybe some guidance on the good and bad of it.

Sorry if I rambled, i am a bit distracted and I thought maybe writing it down would help. It did, my eyes felt dry, now they aren't.
Don't be sorry. It is a very emotional time for a dog lover when they get really sick. We managed to keep our dog Chulo going for a while but I don't know if we should have. I remember giving him shots at home to help with hydration. I have kind of put it out of my mind, but I seem to remember putting it under his skin and then he would have a big bag of fluid hanging down. He looked miserable and I'm sure he was. I don't know if prolonging the obvious was good for him or for us. We just wanted him around for as long as we could, but he was really out of it most of the time. You need to discuss it with the vet about the cost and whether she will get better, or if you are just prolonging her misery. If she is very miserable, I'm sorry but you know you have to make the decision for what is best for her. That's an obligation we take on in trade for unconditional love that we know only lasts for a short while. It hurts to give them up, but think how much it hurts them to suffer. You and Sadie have my deepest sympathy. I'm hoping for you and her that the vet will say she'll be all right with treatment. I've been through it too many times myself, but I'll always have a dog to love and be loved by.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:02 AM
acl

52 posts, read 165,686 times
i'm sorry. can't do anything but offer support, but i at very least wanted to do that.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:02 AM
HDL
Status: "Happy Thanksgiving Everyone :-) Blessings!" (set 1 day ago)

2,818 posts, read 3,901,585 times
So sorry for what you are going through. I am going to request that your thread get moved to the Pet Forum (dogs) so that more posters will be able to read it and hopefully be able to help you out.

Also, there are a lot of great threads over in the Dog Forum that may help you in your decision.

Hugs and prayers,

~HDL~

Old 04-23-2008, 02:01 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,322,944 times
Default my sympathies...

i wish i could offer you something other than this, but all i have is sympathy born through similarity. when i was in grad school, i lost a dog to renal failure while i was out in the field (never even got to really say goodbye as it came on quick and i was several days away at best)...there really isn't much you can do, and you can't have her suffer.

11yrs is a decent run for a dog, and it sounds like she had some fun (what dog doesn't like rabbit chasing?). i have lost 4 dogs since i was a kid....and it never gets any easier. she is your dog and you will know when and what you have to do based on what she needs. she will let you know when she is ready. buzz is right...the trade we make for their love is to always care for them and do what is right for them even if it is not what feels right for us (not offering morality here, just support).

w/o a doubt explore the options (it has been over 10yrs since i worked at the animal emergency center in MKE, so maybe treatment options are available that weren't back then). i hope so.

if it comes to euthanasia...my advice would be to find a home care vet. when i was in LA and had to put my Buddy down, i had a friend recommend a vet who came my house. she gave him a sedative initially and then gave us some time alone; the final dose was administered as he slept peacefully on my lap. before she came over we were able to get in one last good car ride and a cheeseburger from McD's.

*that was almost a year ago....writing those last two sentences brought the waterworks back....RIP little man.

Buddy (1994-2007)

Old 04-23-2008, 09:12 AM

17 posts, read 133,330 times
Default Thank you all

I really appreciate the replies and the kind words.

I know the hardest part is letting go. It doesn't seem fair, heck, it's not fair that our most trusted and loyal companions only get to be that for a short time in our eyes. You are all right, 11 years is a good run.

Today i will talk to the vet and get his honest opinion on whether he thinks that it will do any good to rehydrate her or if I am just putting her through needless suffering for my selfish wanting her to be all right.

She does not seem to be in pain, just listless. But, she perks up at the sound of "want to go for a walk?" and it just gladdens my heart to see her, if only for a few moments, as the dog I love.

Thank you again, your stories and thoughts have made my burden a bit lighter.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 AM

4,095 posts, read 10,773,119 times
I don't envy what you're going through at the moment. I have no advice, when my girl was younger the blood work showed a higher creatinene than the normal, however not off of the charts. We've got it all under control for the present.

You'll know the right decision and it's never an easy one I'm afraid

Give her a hug from me.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:14 PM

410 posts, read 1,838,589 times
I have tears reading your story. I put my baby to sleep three weeks ago, lymphoma. She was also 11 and I had expected another 5 years which I definitely would have had if not for that awful cancer. My heart still aches but she also had itin her lungs and started this awful raspy cough all night that only morphine would stop. Prednisone to get her going and morphine to calm her. Was awful. I don't think I will ever recover but before she was in pain at a time I couldnt get help, I talked to myvet and he said it was time. I was a good mom as I am sure you were so she is now in a better place and feeling better. They will wait for us. To me, it was better to do earlier than later and watch her suffer and me too.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:51 PM

543 posts, read 794,076 times
Kidney Failure is not a good thing. I had to put down my favorite Dog Missy due to it. My vet tried for 4 days to keep her in the hope of a rebound. Day 5 Missy told me she was done.............It was very sad. I hate to say you are going to face this decision rather soon, find peace with yours.

Emergency animal hospital bill 756.00 one over night stay, blood, x-rays. My personal vet kept her for 4 days on IV for 140.00. Put her down for 100.00. Expensive few days for a poor outcome. If there was a chance it would have helped her, I'd pay double, it couldn't.......

Old 04-23-2008, 06:21 PM

3,529 posts, read 5,052,919 times
Just want to say my heart goes out to you, It is never easy making these decisions for dogs we love so much.When you do make the decision do not try to later second guess it rather let it be.

My 11 yr old has nasal cancer and my 12 yr old just presented with some elevated liver enzymes and WBC so I can really understand what you are going through. I think often we have to look at saying good bye as the final gift we give our dog when the alternative is a poor quality of life. You will make the right decision. Believe that and you will feel better about it even though that really does not make it any easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs