Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, our Schnauzers ate all of our Easter candy, and were perfectly fine. I mean, they chowed down everything, including the wrappers. They puked and puked and puked until they could puke no more, but they were 100% AOK. Weve also fed our Dachshund a million grapes and he is fine, too. We've since stopped after we heard the rumors (for safety's sake), but he's doing great all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 09:47 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,242 times
Grapes release a toxin that causes dogs to get a mild variation of AID's and other various STD's.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
I had always heard that its actually REAL chocolate that makes a dog sick. The stuff we eat here in the states is not so often REAL.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I had always heard that its actually REAL chocolate that makes a dog sick. The stuff we eat here in the states is not so often REAL.
My dog has eaten chocolate plenty of times. Never gotten sick from it.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:51 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
My dog has eaten chocolate plenty of times. Never gotten sick from it.
Chances are its not REAL chocolate, it has to be the expensive kind, like Godiva.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:57 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,273,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Chances are its not REAL chocolate, it has to be the expensive kind, like Godiva.
mmm Godiva! See my dogs in luck! I wouldn't share something as good as Godiva w/ him. I think the coco content must be high to be damaging

Old 04-17-2009, 12:32 PM

156 posts, read 318,393 times
I've read somewhere that it's the caffiene???can't spell today. That is what makes them sick, so chocolate or even licking the remnants of coffee in a cup can make them sick. But it's kind of like people with allergies, some dogs are more allergic than others. Also I've heard that acidic things aren't good for pups. Boo probably eats more people food than he should but he does not beg and drool he knows to sit and wait patiently and he always gets some of what I'm eating. However, he is picky. He does not like fruits or vegetables. Loves any kind of meat. But if you give him a bite of your hamburger. He takes it in his mouth, rolls it around a few times, and spits it out. Then he removes the bun and fixings and will only eat the meat and cheese! He loves mac & cheese and other pastas, but I try not to give him very much spaghetti sauce after I heard about the acidic stuff being bad for him. Has anyone else heard that acidic things (tomatoes, oranges, etc) are bad for pups???

Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,131 times
I read recently that poinsettias are NOT poisonous to dogs...but I'm not taking any chances!!!

Also read that BAKING chocolate is what dogs cannot tolerate. What on earth the difference would be is ... beyond me. There are so many goodies made esp for dogs these days...it's worth it to buy those .....unless they came from China. NO NO NO!!

Have ya'll seen the cheese and peanut butter flavors in cans to put in their chew toys???

Did NOT know about grapes...our sheltie LOVES grapes. Geeze.

thanx for the info

Old 04-17-2009, 02:17 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
I read recently that poinsettias are NOT poisonous to dogs...but I'm not taking any chances!!!

Also read that BAKING chocolate is what dogs cannot tolerate. What on earth the difference would be is ... beyond me. There are so many goodies made esp for dogs these days...it's worth it to buy those .....unless they came from China. NO NO NO!!

Have ya'll seen the cheese and peanut butter flavors in cans to put in their chew toys???

Did NOT know about grapes...our sheltie LOVES grapes. Geeze.

thanx for the info
Baking chocolate, or bitter chocolate, is the unadulterated (pure) chocolate. Milk chocolate, from which most candies are made, may only have a 10% concentration of pure chocolate (25% in Europe).
  • Milke Chocolate: ≥ 10% Pure Chocolate, ≥ 12% Milk Solids
  • Sweet Chocolate: ≥ 15% Pure Chocolate, < 12% Milk Solids
  • Semisweet (Dark) Chocolate: ≥ 35% Pure Chocolate, < 12% Milk Solids
  • White Chocolate: ≥ 20% Pure Chocolate, ≥ 14% Milk Solids, and ≤ 55% Sugar

Old 04-17-2009, 02:45 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
It's the theobromine and caffeine (both are compounds called alkaloids) in chocolate that cause the problems: very high heart rate, low blood pressure, seizures.

Grapes do NOT cause any AIDS-like syndrome or STD-like disease. They cause renal (kidney) failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs