U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 PM

25 posts, read 63,222 times

Advertisements

I have 2 boston terriers and lately one of them has had an ammonia/ fishy smell around her vaginal area. The last time this happened it last a couple days and that was several weeks ago. I noticed it again today, she doesn't seem to be having any problems going to the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 PM

5,982 posts, read 11,138,115 times
Has she been in heat?

Any odor that stays around needs to be checked - she could have a uterine infection or urinary tract infection. For what it's worth, a little Rottie girl I was around this weekend had the same thing and has been checked stem to stern with nothing showing up...but better safe than sorry. Catch a urine sample if you can to take with you.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM

2,621 posts, read 7,607,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml1972 View Post
I have 2 boston terriers and lately one of them has had an ammonia/ fishy smell around her vaginal area. The last time this happened it last a couple days and that was several weeks ago. I noticed it again today, she doesn't seem to be having any problems going to the bathroom.
I notice an ammonia odor when I squeeze my dog's anal glands (I bath him twice a week and squeeze them during that time - after lathering). You can check those so make sure that they are not infected - before you go to the vet.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 PM

1,738 posts, read 5,534,171 times
small dogs sometimes don't have strong enough muscles to release their anal glands. They should be released during movements and activity.
If it happens w/ Cody a good run or chase seems to fix it, but my mom has to take her cocker in every three months(she was way overbred).

Titan you are bave!

I'd pay the bucks to the vet if Cody ever did needed his glands emptied. To yucky for me!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:58 PM

2,621 posts, read 7,607,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
small dogs sometimes don't have strong enough muscles to release their anal glands. They should be released during movements and activity.
If it happens w/ Cody a good run or chase seems to fix it, but my mom has to take her cocker in every three months(she was way overbred).

Titan you are bave!

I'd pay the bucks to the vet if Cody ever did needed his glands emptied. To yucky for me!
As long as the glands are aimed away, I squeeze away. There is less material now that Snowy's stools are more firm (with Canidae All life stages Lamb) versus Solid Gold Hundnflocken (runny stools - and more material to express). Yuck, yes. $10/squeeze, I'll do it myself.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:21 PM

3,734 posts, read 8,219,116 times
Adding a bit of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) helps w/ anal glands - it's high in fiber and low in calories too. Mine love it!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 AM

1,738 posts, read 5,534,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
As long as the glands are aimed away, I squeeze away. There is less material now that Snowy's stools are more firm (with Canidae All life stages Lamb) versus Solid Gold Hundnflocken (runny stools - and more material to express). Yuck, yes. $10/squeeze, I'll do it myself.
they use to charge me 25 for my cat because he was so naughty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs