U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
25 posts, read 64,781 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

I have 2 boston terriers and lately one of them has had an ammonia/ fishy smell around her vaginal area. The last time this happened it last a couple days and that was several weeks ago. I noticed it again today, she doesn't seem to be having any problems going to the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 PM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,982 posts, read 11,540,915 times
Reputation: 7282
Has she been in heat?

Any odor that stays around needs to be checked - she could have a uterine infection or urinary tract infection. For what it's worth, a little Rottie girl I was around this weekend had the same thing and has been checked stem to stern with nothing showing up...but better safe than sorry. Catch a urine sample if you can to take with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Beautiful place in Virginia
2,621 posts, read 7,843,444 times
Reputation: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml1972 View Post
I have 2 boston terriers and lately one of them has had an ammonia/ fishy smell around her vaginal area. The last time this happened it last a couple days and that was several weeks ago. I noticed it again today, she doesn't seem to be having any problems going to the bathroom.
I notice an ammonia odor when I squeeze my dog's anal glands (I bath him twice a week and squeeze them during that time - after lathering). You can check those so make sure that they are not infected - before you go to the vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,738 posts, read 5,689,817 times
Reputation: 630
small dogs sometimes don't have strong enough muscles to release their anal glands. They should be released during movements and activity.
If it happens w/ Cody a good run or chase seems to fix it, but my mom has to take her cocker in every three months(she was way overbred).

Titan you are bave!

I'd pay the bucks to the vet if Cody ever did needed his glands emptied. To yucky for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Beautiful place in Virginia
2,621 posts, read 7,843,444 times
Reputation: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
small dogs sometimes don't have strong enough muscles to release their anal glands. They should be released during movements and activity.
If it happens w/ Cody a good run or chase seems to fix it, but my mom has to take her cocker in every three months(she was way overbred).

Titan you are bave!

I'd pay the bucks to the vet if Cody ever did needed his glands emptied. To yucky for me!
As long as the glands are aimed away, I squeeze away. There is less material now that Snowy's stools are more firm (with Canidae All life stages Lamb) versus Solid Gold Hundnflocken (runny stools - and more material to express). Yuck, yes. $10/squeeze, I'll do it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 10:21 PM
 
3,802 posts, read 8,610,344 times
Reputation: 3144
Adding a bit of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) helps w/ anal glands - it's high in fiber and low in calories too. Mine love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Florida
1,738 posts, read 5,689,817 times
Reputation: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
As long as the glands are aimed away, I squeeze away. There is less material now that Snowy's stools are more firm (with Canidae All life stages Lamb) versus Solid Gold Hundnflocken (runny stools - and more material to express). Yuck, yes. $10/squeeze, I'll do it myself.
they use to charge me 25 for my cat because he was so naughty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top