U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,477,524 times

Advertisements

dogs either like to be groomed or hate it. I got a demat tool- called mat breaker-for the Bichon-anyway she when older would run-she also went to the groomer for her monthly groom- she also did teach this one to run from me when i say groom? this one does not may-so every 3 months, and what an angel for grooming, and it is 45.00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 07:35 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,821,795 times
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Someone tried to give me Brishon yesterday. He had to get rid of her because their other dog didn't like her and she was too rough on him. She was only 5 months old. I would have taken her but with the new foster I have my hands full. I was trying to figure out how to tell my daughter I had another new dog. LOL.. of course she has 8 dogs, so I guess I am safe as long as I don't go over 8.

I told him to call me, if he didn't find someone to take her. I will find her a good home. I don't know, I just was leery because he was giving her away!!! But folks do weird things..

Old 05-06-2008, 06:42 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,369,293 times
There are some coats that will be ruined by the Furminator. For example, you should never use it on a sheltie coat. All depends on how much you care for the appearance and function of the coat on your breed. I'd try every other method recommended to detangle before resorting to something like the furminator. Of course, if you don't show your dog, it might not matter to you. Important thing is to brush frequently so the mats don't form in the first place. With a foster, there's no telling what condition they may come into your care, so you do the best you can.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:21 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,673,749 times
I got bloodhounds and works well.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,780,313 times
I had a Springer who would get mats - I think the clippers are the kindest approach - there is a lot of tugging with a mat comb.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,586 times
Default Oh those dreaded mats

I have a Tibetan Terrier and as I brush one side, he mats on the other one that I just brushed. It's a constant battle. I use a pin brush, slicker brush, mat splitter (little toothed instrument) and a pair of scissors and when impossible, a small shaver to cut it out. There are several really good videos on brushing out mats. Just type in into your search engine and you'll find them. I also recommend only working for an hour at a time so not to exhaust both your dog and you. Don't pull the skin. Hold the hair at the base so you won't. Use a good grooming spray or a child's leave in conditioner. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2009, 11:05 AM

2,406 posts, read 5,347,133 times
Furminator...

Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,586 times
Default Furminator is a no go

This tool (and unfortunately I bought one) does not work on my Tibetan Terrier's undercoat. Brushes right over it. The teeth are too close together. I think it's designed for other breed types.

J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or