U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,736,347 times

Advertisements

I gave up walking on our city's greenbelt a long time ago. Far too many possible situations there; my girl likes to attack wheels no matter what they are on, don't need her going after bikes, rollerblades and baby strollers even ON leash!

So when the chance arises we walk the neighborhood and I carry a few small rocks in my pocket for the times I need to toss them in the direction of a dog that won't listen to the NO or GO HOME command. It drives me insane the number of folks who deliberately allow their dogs to roam, my next door neighbor included
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 09:44 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,158,255 times
I like Sam's cattle prod idea because hitting your target would seem to be a sure thing.

Some of the sprays could get on your own dog, and that's not good. After we had a recent dog fight incident (mine leashed, theirs not), my vet suggested nerve gas. It comes in a spray bottle like pepper spray, but it immobilizes the dog for up to 3 hours. The dog completely recovers from it with no ill effects afterwards. I need to look into it more and if I decide to buy some it's available at Army supply stores here.

I like whipjacks, but they're not exactly legal to carry on the street here . I see lots of people carrying big sticks, and that would seem to be effective to a point.

I live in NorthEast Florida, the Deep South. Things are a little different here than other parts of the country. If I was a dog, I don't think this is the part of the country I'd want to live in. My city's shelter is a kill shelter and they just brought their time down from a week to 3 days . We have plenty of feral cats and some feral dogs living in the city (warm weather is conducive to this). The "vibe" here is laid-back, and that's not such a good thing when you want dog owners to be vigilant about the care of their animals .

I always say stupidity knows no economic bounds. I am transitioning out of a new development full of beautiful homes and expensive cars and plenty of my neighbors let their golden retrievers and their pomeranians run free in their front yard . The neighborhood I'm moving into is one I've lived in before. It's an older, established neighborhood with all generations represented and loose dogs here too. I drive through the backroads of lower-income neighborhoods, and yup, loose dogs.

I think the difference between the two is that the newer development has a lot of dogs and many of them are small and their owners don't seem to think that means they have to be secured just as a larger dog would . So more dogs, more potential issues. Oh, and more poop. The fancy neighborhood people seem to think they don't need to pick up their dog's poop....yet in the older neighborhood, almost everyone picks up.....figure THAT one out!

I think part of the problem is that we walk multiple dogs (we were 3, now we're down to 2 after losing one to cancer recently ). So, multiple dogs walking down the street gains the attention of other dogs.

Also, dogs sense other dogs' energy. My dogs are fearless and they're ready to rumble if invited and I'm sure some loose dogs take this on as a challenge. If your dog's energy is different, your dog might not be challenged in the same way.

I try to reason (or threaten ) the owners of the loose dogs if I get a chance and that sometimes does the trick. I'd hate to have to call Animal Control because, as I pointed out above, the dog can be put down in as little as 3 days in my city if the owner isn't fast enough in picking them up .

Old 05-07-2008, 11:19 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times
I carry a can of Direct Stop with me when I walk the dogs.It is a citronella spray so does not harm a dog but does usually stop them. You can even get it with a belt clip to make carrying it easier.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:21 AM

1,311 posts, read 5,994,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I carry a can of Direct Stop with me when I walk the dogs.It is a citronella spray so does not harm a dog but does usually stop them. You can even get it with a belt clip to make carrying it easier.
Dashdog, this is what I was going to suggest, but they come with a belt clip??? ooooh. Even better.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:57 AM

38 posts, read 120,451 times
Maybe your dog walked with his Tail down a major sign of weakness to other dogs!! I just moved to the suburbs and when I walk along back roads there aren't many leash-less dogs only a couple but no Dog Dares to go near my dog. He walks with his Head and Tail up and shows no sign of weakness! again it all up to the owner.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:07 AM

462 posts, read 730,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
when I had a dog, I use to always run into the problem of aggressive dogs not on a lease that would attack my dog.
I have a problem with un nuetered dogs at the dog parked attacking my dog. My dog is a nuetered blue nose pit bull. For some reason some males like to be aggressive towards him. When he was a small puppy he would just submit and let the dog dominate him, but now that he is a little bigger he defends himself, and sometimes it escalates to being dangerous. It's fustrating because he never starts the fight but he will defend himself and I always get blamed for the fight because of what kind of dog he is.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:26 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,283,020 times
There is more going on there than neutered versus unneutered, your dog being picked on, and certainly more than the breed. You and your play pals at the dog park aren't paying attention or you'd see it coming. There is also a point where play goes too rough and turns into a rumble, but I assure you - there's a lift of the tail, a ruffle of the fur, the ears go up just a bit, the eyes focus in a little more. Very, very rarely will you have a dog that goes from okey-dokey to Cujo without a signal. I do feel your pain since I have Rottweilers. I have a couple that would never start anything, but they by golly will finish it up if they have to....therefore, my solution is to not put them in a position to have to cope with more than their dog minds can sort out. Dog parks may be fine things, although I personally think they can be the basis for a major disaster and avoid them like the plague.

I think missing signals here is the key, but apparently the other dogs' owners aren't picking up on it either...in essence, everyone is putting their dog at risk. And dogs are very much pack animals - you have one fight break out and it can turn into bedlam with everyone wanting a piece of the pie.

I am assuming your dog is off lead, as are the others, when these instances occur? I think a leash could be your new best friend. Not exactly what you wanted at a dog park, but oh well...better a safe dog than no dog. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to get your pet involved in obedience and socializaton classes. If this is happening between your dog and different dogs (and there isn't an issue with just one pooch at the park, but many) then I'm going to have to say your dog is giving off vibes that you may not be seeing. His experience with having been dominated in the past at the park could be playing into this as well - he could be perceiving whatever is happening at that park as being a threat to his well being and happiness and automatically goes on the defensive, which brings out the worst in everyone.

I'm a great proponent of not setting your dog up to fail, and if you continue to go to the same place and get the same results more often than not, then the dog is being set up to fail. If possible, perhaps you live in an area where a trainer or behaviorist could go with you to the park and point out the warning signs and work with you on either toning these behaviors way down or eliminating them through rigorous training. Until you get it figured out, I'd knock off the dog park. If whatever is going on is to the point of being dangerous, it ain't worth it.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,444,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
I have a problem with un nuetered dogs at the dog parked attacking my dog. My dog is a nuetered blue nose pit bull. For some reason some males like to be aggressive towards him. When he was a small puppy he would just submit and let the dog dominate him, but now that he is a little bigger he defends himself, and sometimes it escalates to being dangerous. It's fustrating because he never starts the fight but he will defend himself and I always get blamed for the fight because of what kind of dog he is.
That's so unfair. Makes me cross when people blame breeds.

My dog is a staffy X kelpie and he's a big sook but he'll defend himself if need be. It astounds me the number of people that eye him off nervously when it's much more likely he'd lick em to death!

Old 05-12-2008, 01:19 PM

1,311 posts, read 5,994,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
That's so unfair. Makes me cross when people blame breeds.

My dog is a staffy X kelpie and he's a big sook but he'll defend himself if need be. It astounds me the number of people that eye him off nervously when it's much more likely he'd lick em to death!
here, here!

I decided to brave the public park the other day with our German Shep/pit mix for a good walk for her and I. I kept my distance from other dogs because I was focusing on walking and did not need to stress over the whol socializing stuff. Even WITH my very obvious avoidance of people and their dogs, one guy still had one dog on a leash and one not (blue Healer) and of course, what does the healer do? Comes rushing over to my dog not listening to his owner's call and I had to put myself between the dogs in case my female felt she needed to be defensive. She doesn't like strange dogs coming up to her from behind for the very reason of twice she had been attacked from behind for no reason by unleashed dogs. I know blue healers well and how good they are, but the fact is I don't know your dog so don't think it's ok to allow them to freely chose to come over. I told him I don't care if you dog is well behaved I don't know you nor do I know your dog. The guy just didn't get it.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:55 PM

462 posts, read 730,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
There is more going on there than neutered versus unneutered, your dog being picked on, and certainly more than the breed. You and your play pals at the dog park aren't paying attention or you'd see it coming. There is also a point where play goes too rough and turns into a rumble, but I assure you - there's a lift of the tail, a ruffle of the fur, the ears go up just a bit, the eyes focus in a little more. Very, very rarely will you have a dog that goes from okey-dokey to Cujo without a signal. I do feel your pain since I have Rottweilers. I have a couple that would never start anything, but they by golly will finish it up if they have to....therefore, my solution is to not put them in a position to have to cope with more than their dog minds can sort out. Dog parks may be fine things, although I personally think they can be the basis for a major disaster and avoid them like the plague.

I think missing signals here is the key, but apparently the other dogs' owners aren't picking up on it either...in essence, everyone is putting their dog at risk. And dogs are very much pack animals - you have one fight break out and it can turn into bedlam with everyone wanting a piece of the pie.

I am assuming your dog is off lead, as are the others, when these instances occur? I think a leash could be your new best friend. Not exactly what you wanted at a dog park, but oh well...better a safe dog than no dog. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to get your pet involved in obedience and socializaton classes. If this is happening between your dog and different dogs (and there isn't an issue with just one pooch at the park, but many) then I'm going to have to say your dog is giving off vibes that you may not be seeing. His experience with having been dominated in the past at the park could be playing into this as well - he could be perceiving whatever is happening at that park as being a threat to his well being and happiness and automatically goes on the defensive, which brings out the worst in everyone.

I'm a great proponent of not setting your dog up to fail, and if you continue to go to the same place and get the same results more often than not, then the dog is being set up to fail. If possible, perhaps you live in an area where a trainer or behaviorist could go with you to the park and point out the warning signs and work with you on either toning these behaviors way down or eliminating them through rigorous training. Until you get it figured out, I'd knock off the dog park. If whatever is going on is to the point of being dangerous, it ain't worth it.

I think my post came off as a little dramatic. This happens every once in a while, not everytime I go there. My dog is very socialized and he is not the one I worry about. If he wasn't socialized he would be aggressive or show signs of dominence to dogs that approach him. Thats not the problem. The main problem I have with him is when another dog is being possesive of their owner or a toy and lashes out at him he doesn't back off. The other problem is that when he hears a dog fight he has to be right in the middle of things, and he will try to mount the dog that is being agressive and then they end up getting into it. And I get blamed for the fight, even though my dog was on the otherside of the park when it started. I talked to a trainer and she said that it could be adolecents. He is one year old so he is still a puppy, and he is still learning how the heirachy works. But it is fustrating that little dogs get away with everything at the park, and they are the ones that start things 90% of the time, but the big dogs always get blamed for everything. After alot of this drama at the park I have learned to always be watching him and to be near him so if there is a fight I can crab his collar so he doesn't run over and get involved. I have also learned to grab his collar when someone picks up their dog so he doesn't join all the other dogs and jump on them. Ive come to understand that most people at the dog park will never understand how to handle dogs or how dogs work so I have to overcompinsate for their stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or