U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:30 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,649,682 times

Advertisements

when I had a dog, I use to always run into the problem of aggressive dogs not on a lease that would attack my dog.

Last edited by mr bolo; 05-06-2008 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 PM

3,423 posts, read 6,725,581 times
I don't know where you hang out with your dog. We don't have lose dogs roaming around ??

Old 05-06-2008, 03:07 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,649,682 times
public parks, lots of people ignore lease laws

also some people let their dogs run loose at night in the neighborhood

you never know when your going to run into a dog on the loose

Old 05-06-2008, 05:36 PM

2,588 posts, read 3,697,218 times
I have that same problem. My boxer was bitten once just around the corner from our house. Our neighbor had his dog out loose while he was washing our car. Some dogs (usually little ones) come running up to mine and I often have to try kicking them out of the way. Freaks me out as I usually have a baby in a stroller. I never quite know what to do; my dog is quite fearful on a leash and will lash out. He's also protective of the babies. So, I find myself scanning the horizon, crossing streets, even turning around to avoid off-leash dogs. That's all I can think to do. Honestly, kicking the other dogs hasn't really helped; it's all I could come up with at the time. Hmm. Guess you could carry mace.

And, shepsmom, I have had this issue in several middle to upper middle class neighborhoods, as well as at public parks. It's usually dogs who are protecting their own yards. If I'm out with just the babies, then I don't have issues with dogs approaching us. Well, once a lab ran up and gave my toddler a big, sloppy kiss.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:39 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,349,762 times
Wow. I have never in my life had this problem. I've seen dogs off-leash at parks but even there I have never ever had an issue with them-it's just joggers w/dogs who stick by their side. This sounds like they are roaming all over! I think I'd move!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:33 PM

9,924 posts, read 8,920,607 times
Oh I've had this problem on occasion.

A few things that have helped I guess is having a plan and being prepared just in case.

I always walk my dog on his Gentle Leader, which makes him much easier to control. Also I scan the area as I walk to see what is around us and what might interest him or might be interested in him. I walk fairly established routes where I know that the opportunity for him to come across an unleashed dog are limited and I never let him off the leash in off leash parks unless he's established a rapport with the other dogs in the park and I with the owners. I make sure and socialize him as much as I can with friends dogs and the dogs of other family members so he knows what to expect and when there is danger and it doesn't hurt him spending time with his doggy buddies either.

When walking if another dog is around, until I can establish if they are on a leash or not, I wrap his lead around my hand to shorten it and tell him to heal, then I usually continue walking away from the other animal keeping him close by my side. I talk to him and praise him for healing and move away. If that doesn't seem to slow the other animal down and it's hell bent on saying hello, I tend to relax a little and be open to them saying hello but always prepared. Some dogs are just excited and curious and want to day g'day. So prepared but congenial is how we approach them, always watchful. Often a strong voice command can be enough to pull the other dog up a little if necessary and I'm always ready with my foot if need be although I've been lucky enough never to have to use it when walking my dog. My focus is always on making sure my dog behaves appropriately, minimizing the potential for trouble, having said that I'd do whatever I had to to protect my dog if we were set upon by an aggressive animal, but it really is about weighing up the situation as best you can and getting away from the other animal where possible.

As to unleashed dogs constantly being about, well I'd be ringing the animal control officer in my area and making them aware that there are dogs wandering around. Usually they come out and round them up and if the owner has to pay a fine to break them out of the pound it usually teaches the value of responsible dog ownership.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:32 PM

1,738 posts, read 5,523,367 times
we have loose dogs everywhere in our area!!!

I had a bull dog jump a fence(impressive) and approached Cody and I stood between them and shook my finger at him and said "no bad dog! Go home" ...he jumped the fence and went home.
Had a chow chow approach Cody off leash and I told him no and he left us alone. Dogs that look like well fed, pet dogs respond to human voice changes and harshness in voice ...it seems to work! If Cody hears my voice like this he goes right into a sit behind me and waits ...unless doggie gets to close......roaming dogs that don't seem to be pets ...I pick Cody up and turn away.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:37 PM

6,998 posts, read 10,909,102 times
We have a big problem with roaming dogs in my town. I first noticed it over a year ago when we had a few (very few) people being bitten, dog on dog and some dog on livestock attacks. Throw that in with a sensationalist Councilmember thats when BSL rose its ugly head. Our animal control said that the vast majority of attacks where not APBT or Staff or any of the general "pitbull" stereotypes. The judge put ALOT of dogs down, far too many in my opinion, but whats done is done.

Back on topic though, yeah we do have a problem with roaming dogs. Thankfully 90 percent of them are fine but we have been attacked by an English Mastiff and what looked like a Lab mix too. Both were fended off by a few kick and a shout no but I am in no mood to get in the middle again. I do OC and will use it if I really have to.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:04 AM

5,982 posts, read 11,103,856 times
Well, Ms. Possibly Unpopular Idea weighing in here...carry a cattle prod from Tractor Supply. They come in varying lengths, are lightweight, inexpensive and very effective if you or your dog is pounced on. One or two zaps and everyone disperses pretty quickly. Before I get jumped, let me say - a zap to a dog I don't know is preferential to having one of my dogs maimed. If your dog is on lead and the other one isn't, the natural inclination is to pull short on the leash which only puts your dog at a further disadvantage. If you have a large breed dog who decidesto upset the balance, a walking stick isn't enough and a kick may only get you bitten. A prod give you a little reach and trust me, it works wonders. Yes, it's a problem to carry. No, people will not want to be your new best friend and you may be openly criticized for carrying it...and to that I say I will quit carrying it when someone is willing to either 1) lock their dog behind a fence or put him on lead, or 2) pay my dog's vet bills. I think a lot of places have problems with wandering dogs and usually after I explain my position to whoever has taken me to task, they completely understand. Waving it around is usually effective, and I've never had cause to use it on a small dog but the two times I have used it all I saw was the hind end of the aggressor retreating at a high rate of speed. It's important to know that you don't hold the prod on the dog - one or two quick jabs will do the trick.

Sorry, it may sound bad to some, but when it comes to my dogs I will do what I need to do to keep them safe. I only take this with me on walks...I'm not a proponent of dog parks so my thoughts on what to do in that situation are useless. It's my best guess you wouldn't be greeted with open arms at the dog park with a cattle prod.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:30 AM

9,924 posts, read 8,920,607 times
Actually Sam I Am I can think of a few occasions when such a thing would have come in very handy indeed, having been involved in three very vicious dog attacks in the past. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing.

That's certainly something I would consider, given the measures I had to resort to, it's something I would definitely consider. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs