U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:32 PM

1,479 posts, read 6,801,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Let me echo brikag's words as yes in the past I've not only fed Canidae, also suggested it to plenty. I can't wait until I switch them over.

Sorry about the loss World Citizen
I've also used and recommended Canidae for years. I can't recommend it any more. The change in formulation wasn't a serious issue for me, although the company should have done a better job of publicizing the change. Outsourcing production to Diamond changes things significantly for me. I just don't trust their manufacturing controls, product sourcing or commitment to quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 05:55 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,001,155 times
I am so sorry WC.

It really upsets me when we buy what is suppose to be quality food for our furry family members and you only find out when they get sick. I am retired on a limited income and I spend good money on dog food the least they can do is make sure I am getting what I pay for.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:43 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,564,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Oh they also make Kirkland sold by Costco and Solid Gold Foods

I know they do not make Innova, Blue Buffalo, Orijen, and Purina,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
Sounds like they have their hands in too many pots, if you ask me...I'm sticking with Solid Gold all the way...mixed with Evanger's canned food and for the kitties, some Halo mixed in. I've had NO PROBLEMS for close to a decade, with food or potential side-effects. I know it's expensive to feed healthy, but the cheap stuff (Costco brand, Purina, even Science Diet!!!) is the equivalent of MacDonalds...every day of your life. Ugh! World "Class" Citizen, glad to hear your dog's sickness wasn't food related, but I guess it's worse being related to Addison's. Good luck with that!!

So Diamond does make Solid Gold or doesn't?

I thought they made their own food - Solid Gold only makes Solid Gold and doesn't outsource? That's what I was told . I just switched to Sold Gold Wolf King.

I guess Canidae is off the list entirely now (I won't bother looking into them).

Old 08-30-2008, 01:20 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Quote:
Let me echo brikag's words as yes in the past I've not only fed Canidae, also suggested it to plenty. I can't wait until I switch them over.

Sorry about the loss World Citizen
Let me echo Cleosmom here, so sorry for your loss, WC.

And yes, I am yet another person who had recommended Canidae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I've also used and recommended Canidae for years. I can't recommend it any more. The change in formulation wasn't a serious issue for me, although the company should have done a better job of publicizing the change. Outsourcing production to Diamond changes things significantly for me. I just don't trust their manufacturing controls, product sourcing or commitment to quality.
Yes.
I had no idea about the formula change, and Elwood did develop loose stools last week when we began a new bag of Canidae. He also gets Natural Choice lamb & rice, I mix the two together, and his tummy troubles soon cleared up.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:00 PM

4,585 posts, read 15,333,872 times
From what I can gather Diamond manufactures Solid Gold, Kirkland, Natural Balance, Artemis and now Canidae. Along with their own label of course.

If anyone knows otherwise let us know.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
From what I can gather Diamond manufactures Solid Gold, Kirkland, Natural Balance, Artemis and now Canidae. Along with their own label of course.

If anyone knows otherwise let us know.
I think I'm going to email Solid Gold and ask them...I'll let everyone know the response.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:58 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,763,505 times
Thank you EVERYONE for your kind words regarding my loss. At the time I was going through it, I was so traumatized that I couldn't even talk about it.

I started this thread in May... so that gives you a time line.

I now have a beautiful, BOUNCING, black baby boy named "Shadow" who is keeping my mind quite occupied and my heart very full...
I'm so glad I went out right away and got him. For me, it was the right answer.

I really think that this is the best forum -- and the best peoples -- on City Data..

Love you guys!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:52 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,405,273 times
So glad you have a puppy to share your life with. Nothing can fill the void of your loss, but each pup is a new beginning.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:03 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,405,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I think I'm going to email Solid Gold and ask them...I'll let everyone know the response.
Diamond Pet Foods : Vet Notes : Dogs

From the Diamond Web Page

Q: Are any Diamond brand dry pet foods being recalled?
A: None of our Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Premium Edge or Professional dry pet foods are being recalled. None of the dry pet food products that we manufacture for Solid Gold or Kirkland Signature are being recalled. Natural Balance did recall 2 formulas that we manufactured for them Natural Balance Venison & Brown Rice dry dog food and Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea dry cat food.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:47 PM

^^^Thanks Grannynancy . I had already sent an email to Solid Gold regarding the brand I just switched to, so we'll see how they respond .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs